Will the C7005 controller work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the C7005 controller work?

I am debating trying out the new APB on my analog track and was wondering if the C7005 controller will work with it? I do not have either at the moment but found a great deal on the controllers and was hoping they would work as all references i have seen use the C7002 controller.

Thanks - Brian

C7005 is the digital in-car chip.
    C7002 is the hand-held controller that you use to control the car.

You would use the C7002 (two of them) to control your cars with the APB.

You'll also need power supplies, as the C7042 by itself comes with none, as it's an "upgrade" for other sets, which already have one of the needed power supplies.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I was a bit confused as the EBAY STORE listed the controller as C7005 and a Google search turned up the same number in reference to the controller at some retailers. I found new controllers for under $5 a piece as well as the power supplies for about the same, but did not know if the controllers were the correct ones.

Brian (Gipper)

Comment

Note that you don't HAVE to use Scalextric set controllers, but if you're trying to stick to a budget, they're just fine.

If you want something a little better, take a look at the TruSpeed controller, or even the slot.it controller.

Comment

I figured they would not be the greatest but at $4 a pop I thought they would be a cheap way to test the digital waters.

Brian

Comment

Just remember that the controller can have an impact on your impression.

A couple ways to make it more pleasant with the stock controllers:
            1) open it up and clean/lube the sliding resistor. I prefer a wipe with a Q-tip that has a drop of INOX MX3 on one end, then wipe off excess with the dry end.
            2) while it's open, make sure the black cable is well pressed into the channel it follows, and not causing any friction on the trigger.
            3) lube the trigger post and any other friction surfaces of the trigger
            4) if you have some or can get some, swap the spring out for something slightly lighter. I prefer Parma Economy springs, but you can get some comparable ones from a TruValue or similar hardware store that has a good selection of springs. Bring a spring in and compare length and width and try to find some that are very close, but not as stiff. If the spring you replace it with isn't strong enough to get the trigger all the way back to zero, hook it to the other post in the controller that's just a little further back. I think it's a screw post.

After that, changing the power settings can make certain cars more manageable. Ultimately, the best way to get a great throttle response with the cheaper controllers is to connect the base to a computer so that software can provide more complex throttle curves, like a nice S-curve that gives you more control in the middle rather than a straight shot up to full power.

If you're coming from analog set controllers, then these might be an upgrade. If you're used to aftermarket analog controllers (Parma, Professor Motor, etc), then the digital set controllers might be a let down, so please keep that in mind when considering the performance of the system.

Comment

Working...
            X