This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD Chipping Database

Please use this thread to post photos and any additional guidance on chipping cars for Scalextric Digital that you have done. Others can then use this thread as reference for their chipping projects.

Slot.it Alfa 33/3 (CA11g)

Using a slot.it SP15b chip, this was a simple installation with only minor mods needed to the interior.

The model. No shelf queens in this collection.

The bottom of the car, showing the IR LED opening. You can also see the blue tack I used to hold the chip in place.

Chip placement. Fits well into the slot.it chassis. No need for an LED on leads. No need for a ferrite man at the guide, and there is plenty of room between the motor and body for the ferrite man on top of the motor.

This is an earlier model from before this chip was finalized. Only a couple holes needed to the bottom of the interior to clear a couple components on the chip.

I chipped this particular model for another club member for the DRAWW Slot.it Classics series that recently ended.

Comment

Carrera 458 Italia #27481

Carrera 458 Italia #27481

Car with analog board already removed. Just a few plugs and 1 screw to remove.

Analog board with connectors still attached (bottom left). Note tiny light connector soldered to output leads of motor. Motor and Power connectors are JST 2.0. For this conversion i used JST 1.25 connectors for my custom lights.

Custom Lights (done previously). I used 390 ohm resistors, but I may swap in some bigger resistors for the rear lights. They are very bright.

Soldering motor and light connectors. Purple striped wire soldered to Red lead from C7004 chip. I have ordered some connectors for my Carrera Digital Corvette so I can make the Scaley chip Plug- And -Play.

Soldering finished. I left the Ferrite man, cut off the flat brush pieces, and just soldered the connector to the ends.

Heat shrink tubing in place, and all connected, except for lights.

I used a 7/64”(about 2.8mm) drill bit to make the hole for the LED. It was slightly smaller than the diode, but a little filing and it fit nice and snug.

View from above. A drop of glue to hold the LED, and all is ready.

Chip fit on right side of chassis. I used some double sided foam sticky tape to attach.

All back together with lights connected. If anyone is interested in the lights, let me know and I will write up what I did for them.

Last edited by oneredz; 02-03-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Looks a good 'un! Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

Carrera C7R Corvette

The connectors are JST 2.0 for the power and motor, and JST 1.5s for the lights. These are what Carrera uses for their modules. Resistors are 390 Ohm (orange,white,brown) but the lights are a little bright.

Wires are way too long, but, hey, it works. This was my first conversion (done before the Ferrari 458). Car was originally Carrera Digital.
          Last edited by oneredz; 02-03-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Carrera Lamborghini Huracan

A little better example, showing also a picture of the chassis bottom.

MUCH cleaner conversion this time. Still working on headlights/taillights. I am experimenting with using pieces of an old credit card for light boards in the Carrera holders, and 3mm LEDs. May go for the micro LEDs as they would be much easier to place where i want them (just bought a roll of 100 of them) .

Comment

2 Scalextric Anime cars

The blue car came from Scalex with the pickup red/black wires reversed and i didnt catch it till after i did all my soldering work

Comment

Almost identical to my first Carrera car conversion.

Comment

The SSD chips have a bridge rectifier on board, so the polarity of the lead wires doesn't matter. Only the polarity to the motor matters. And yes, it takes more time to try and figure out correct polarity prior to soldering than to just solder it, test, and fix if reversed. Never put the body on before testing. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                    The SSD chips have a bridge rectifier on board, so the polarity of the lead wires doesn't matter. Only the polarity to the motor matters. And yes, it takes more time to try and figure out correct polarity prior to soldering than to just solder it, test, and fix if reversed. Never put the body on before testing. ;-)
                    Agreed! I "try to" test each conversion before i put the bodies on. Yes about the bridge rectifier. I really like that feature. It was annoying because i like to try to keep the connectors with correct polarities in case i need to cannibalize a chip for another car, and need to plug pickup connectors directly to the motor connectors.

Comment

Ah. that makes sense. Thanks for adding to the thread, by the way.

Comment

I had a question but it was answered in one of the above. I missed it the first time I read through.

Last edited by Porsche Racer; 08-03-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X