Controller + Wireless Analog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller + Wireless Analog

Here are some pics of my new toy a Scorpius Wireless controller with the Wireless Analog Module or WAM - the Scorpius controller was designed for digital racing but with the WAM you can use it on any analog setup as well.

I have only been playing with it for a few days and I really like it. My previous controllers have been Parma 25, slot.it SCp-1 and Avant Slot Hammer. I have also used a ACDPro controller. My first impression is it is definitely a step above my slot.it and Hammer controller.

The other thing I really like is being wireless I can stand anywhere to drive my cars, so it brings a whole new perspective to driving on my track.

The controller uses PWM (pulse width modulation) has a brake and sensitivity dial. Brake can be 0-100% Sensitivity has 10 options S0-S9 which store 10 power / throttle curves. These are set up at the controller by giving a % for the power at each of 10 points to create a power curve or line - ie 10% at point 0, 20% point 2 etc up to 100% at point 9. (There are 10 presets settings with S0 being more sensitive than S9) You can also set this via a separate program on your PC (which requires the Scorpius USB Dongle)

I can't wait to learn more about the curve power settings, it will be cool to work out settings for different motors and then just select that setting when racing those cars.

A really cool controller with some excellent technology.

Controller and WAM

Controller Dials and LCD Screen

Example of a curve setting

All up controller and WAM cost is ~$207 + post in the US (cost me $250 here in Oz with post and taxes) so it is more your mid to upper range controller but I think it has the features and the setup to match other controllers in this price range (Difalco and top end PM controllers) plus it is wireless.

In the US you can get them from Professor Motor

cheers
    David

Here's my endorsement of the Scorpius controller and WAM. I just got the WAM on Wednesday and after just two evenings with this controller I am convinced that wireless controllers for analog tracks are worth the extra bucks. Especially if you have mobility issues this is the way to go. Several of the club tracks I have visited have tight clearances and getting to all of the driver's stations is sometimes impossible. I have used long extension cables but they have their own set of issues. Using the WAM makes the cabling the shortest possible and you can drive youe car from anywhere around the track.

Comment

I just finished hosting a round of the Race Across America proxy using the Scorpius controller and WAM. Worked great and produced fast consistent times. Trigger is so smooth, power curve handled everything from GT2 to LMP cars without a problem.
      Only thing I would change is the time it takes to go to "sleep" mode...

Cheers!
      Paul

Comment

The BEST controller I have ever owned!!!
        I have 3 wishes that are small but worth noting.
        1) like Paul I wish the time to go to "sleep" was adjustable
        2) the brake knob and throttle curve knob to work in the same direction. When turned clockwise the brake knob increases in value and the throttle curve decreases in value.
        3) throttle curve memory on the PC for convenience in tweaking curves.
        ALL small and nothing that makes me regret buying the set-up. As a matter of fact I seldom preach about any product, to each his own, but these products make me want to get on the soapbox and let the world know they are missing something GREAT!!!
        Cheers,
        Chris Shaffer

Comment

I participated in my first race event since getting my controller on Saturday and it performed without a hitch. The break between heats had to be extended a couple of times which allowed the controller to go into sleep mode and when the power came on my car didn't go until I pushed the LC button. So I too would like to see a way to adjust the length of time the controller stays active while idle. All other aspects of the functions are great.

Comment

Or, remember to check your controller before each heat... during hookup, maybe? You still have to hookup the WAM every heat, right?

Comment

I have to turn my controller back on for each heat, plug the controller in and turn it on just before the race marshall does the ready check. No problems yet. I really enjoy using this controller more than the other controllers I have owned. Well worth the investment. I put a wrist strap on my last night - use one that came for the wii controller - just put it where the wires normally come out, handy addition stops me putting the controller in the wrong place, like on the track where someone will run into it or in the spare parts box to be packed away and seemingly lost .

Had a good night last night 2 podiums and a 6th

DM
              Last edited by dangermouse; 08-07-2013, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                Or, remember to check your controller before each heat... during hookup, maybe? You still have to hookup the WAM every heat, right?
                Oh, I admit I was at fault. The only times that it happened were occasions when the race director had to delay the start of the heat. We were conducting a proxy race and to insure all cars had an equal chance the cars changed lanes but the drivers stayed put. So all the cars were driven by all the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by csxgrafix View Post
                  The BEST controller I have ever owned!!!
                  I have 3 wishes that are small but worth noting.
                  1) like Paul I wish the time to go to "sleep" was adjustable
                  2) the brake knob and throttle curve knob to work in the same direction. When turned clockwise the brake knob increases in value and the throttle curve decreases in value.
                  3) throttle curve memory on the PC for convenience in tweaking curves.
                  ALL small and nothing that makes me regret buying the set-up. As a matter of fact I seldom preach about any product, to each his own, but these products make me want to get on the soapbox and let the world know they are missing something GREAT!!!
                  Cheers,
                  Chris Shaffer
                  Glad everyone likes it

Yes in the future, an upgrade will be made so the battery saving function time out will be adjustable via a menu.
                  Also we plan a library to store curves on, on your PC.

We could also change the knob direction for braking so it matches the sensitivity knob.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick

Comment

It appears to be based on the PM Controller?

Comment

Handle is PM, but the guts are proprietary.

Cheers!
                      Paul

Comment

I'm a Scorpius user, love the controller, and have to say this: I'm running my analog cars a lot more than I used to, just because they drive so much nicer with the Scorpius controller. Love the adjustable throttle curves!

Comment

ryk4

have you done any changes to the default curves? I have found a curve so far that suits most cars - but that isn't to say I could find a better result with a more adjustable curve

DM

Comment

This last weekend I tried using the Scorpius controller at a commercial track driving a 1/24th FCR car with the stock Parma motor. It ran but was very sluggish and would not develope top speed. I changed to my Difalco controller and the car ran normally. This does not upset me too much as I never really intended to use the scorpius with my 1/24th cars. To be able to handle the higher current draw of higher rpm 1/24th motors the WAM would probably need to be modified. I am very satisfied with the way it works with my 1/32 cars for which it was intended.

Comment

That's strange I've tested 16Ds and super 16ds with great success. I'd be interested in testing your car.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X