Rebuilding the SCX Ferrari 360

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the SCX Ferrari 360

If you're thinking of rebuilding the drivetrain on this one, here's some information to speed the parts selection process along.

That's a lot of work! I have found the new SCX GT's to be very good when raced with each other. At Ace we have a class for these cars and we run them at 14v no-mag. They are a blast! We allow any tires, addition of weight and pinning up the guide.
    You need to break in the motors for a long time. At least an hour. I start with no grease on the gears but a lot of oil on the bushings. With the tires off the ground I use around 3-6v. After 1/2 hour I lube the gears. The cars run quite and smooth. Often I will mount Slotit tires up front if the stock ones are hopelessly out of round and Super Tires on the rear (1408- 1410).
    I thinking of entering a SCX GT in the RAA this year.
    SCX, you have come a long way, keep it up.
    Dan
    Ace Hobby Racing

Comment

SCX cars are very rare around here, as no dealer stocks them. I had broken the motor in by running it overnight at 3 volts, out of the car, and had used Slot.it Zero Grips on the front and PPR SuperTires 1408s on the rear (same as now).

I think that regearing the car has helped, even with only the one-tooth difference. It is much smoother, too, with the Slot.it crown and the new axles & wheels.

Comment

I like the SCX GTs, but I wish they would replace the motors with the one in the new NASCARs, so you could run them against the Salextric cars without modifying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar View Post
          I like the SCX GTs, but I wish they would replace the motors with the one in the new NASCARs, so you could run them against the Salextric cars without modifying them.
          AMEN Brother!
          Dan
          Ace Hobby Racing

Comment

What is the designation of the NASCAR motor? Is it sold separately? Does it go faster than the 20k Pro Turbo Plus and RX-62C? Those motors seem to be the same speed as a good Scalextric stock motor.

Maybe a Slot.It anglewinder pod could be used to mount the SCX motor. It is a nice motor, but seems to have a little too much torque to be at its best in an inline chassis.

Comment

It's a 42-b and it has a little green dot on the bottom at the endbell end. In our 14v box stock NASCAR series it will run with the Scaly S/W NASCARs. And it is as fast as a good Scaly at 12v too!
              I think they are in the new SCX catalog, but when you can really buy them? I just picked up two chassis tonight at a price I couldn't resist. I know an Audi that needs a motor that runs good at 12v.
              Dan
              Ace Hobby Racing

Comment

Working...
              X