I would like to know your impressions/comments about the scx Ferrari FXX:
    -performance
    -mechanics
    -upgrades needed?
    -tires rub on rear fenders?

thanks for info.

racer g

I think....

....it comes with the weaker 41 motor, upgrade to a 42B, or Pro Speed or RX4H, and of course better wheels/tires/gears in the rear end will help most every slot car. A bit of weight under the front axle to "pin" the front end....maybe 4-5-6 grams. Basic setup, square & flat chassis, chassis to body clearance, body float, make sure the tires clear the wheel wells, etc. all the usual stuff.

Comment

The FXX was shown to be a better handling slot car than all the other SCX's it competed against (including Pro Porsche 911 and Pro Audi R8) at the 24 hour endurance race at Area 51 race track in Ct. This was with a motor upgrade (I think), and possibly Pro axles, gears and wheels (similar to Slot.It).

In other words, the weight distribution of the FXX body, chassis, width, and guide lead all balance out to make a great car. Tune it with good parts, give it a better motor, and you will go faster.

Comment

We ran them for the SCX National final with no weight added, the 42B and whatever the handout tires were. Rear had pro gear, bushings, axle and wheels. The car ran and handled just fine like that. Use the red crown gear. I think the Vette works better but it needs weight added. Maybe 4-5-6 grams. Without doing some modification the FXX body will not float since it's pinned in at the back by the chassis. For the race we ran, that wasn't allowed.

The Vette vs. FXX is only an opinion since we were never really able to run them head to head. Our local race program decided that since the National Series qualifiers didn't allow the FXX, we wouldn't in our local series either. Go figure... Sometimes you just want to shake 'em.
        Last edited by kidvoltage; 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

The FXX we used at Steve's for the 24H had an RX42 in it, not a B motor.

If memory serves, Smokeio was able to drive it faster around Area 51 than most folks could drive the B cars.

Comment

I watched a little of the national race in PA running these Ferrari's, as I remember it they weren't that far off the times of the DP's we ran the next day. If any of the stores around here had them would get one just because they looked like they handled well and look cool.

Comment

I have a pair of the FXX's, and both are quite smooth and forgiving. I like the stock SCX tires because they are not so grippy, but if you're planning on competition, swap those tires.

The car is well balanced and can handle more power.

Comment

Ffx

hi- thanks for the info, guys. sounds like the FFX can be a good car from SCX.I guess Ii'll get mine out of the sealed case and put it on the track...

I think my original intention with this post was to get feedback from running the car in the stock form, but I messed up the writing...

I am trying to stay away from upgrading parts/wheels/gears/$$ .
                I thought about putting on slot it aluminum wheeels, but the scx axle is thicker than 3/32". I didn't want to replace axle,gear and bushings...the whole thing...

I do like the SCX motors very much - ok, they are not as fast as the mabuchis and slot .its, but i really like the power and torque of the scx motors, and the cars run at 'perfect speed' for my small home/test track. I also like the fact that they are built like the 1/24 type motors - with springs,brushes, etc. I always run them in at lower voltage when out of the box(new) to break them in -
                I do get my SCX cars running very smooth and quiet after some preparation.
                The SCX tires have very good grip on my routed track(latex paint) .
                The only thing I don't like it's the guide design with the contact strips...
                Also, I wish the front wheels(axle) could float a little, for the tripod effect, instead of the fixed front with bushings.

racer g

Comment

Originally posted by racer g View Post
                  I am trying to stay away from upgrading parts/wheels/gears/$$ .
                  I thought about putting on slot it aluminum wheeels, but the scx axle is thicker than 3/32". I didn't want to replace axle,gear and bushings...the whole thing...

I do like the SCX motors very much - ok, they are not as fast as the mabuchis and slot .its, but i really like the power and torque of the scx motors, and the cars run at 'perfect speed' for my small home/test track. I also like the fact that they are built like the 1/24 type motors - with springs,brushes, etc. I always run them in at lower voltage when out of the box(new) to break them in
                  G, that's how I like to run my cars, and both of my FXX's are totally stock, tires and all. With its slower motor, I find this car to be one of the best 'slow' builds out there. It's not a world-beater, but it will surprise many cars that look on paper like they'd be faster. If you wanted to build it for high speed it would be easy to do, but it's really not necessary.

On a side note, I'm very impressed with how SCX modeled this car. As much as Carrera's Enzo missed the mark, this car is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by racer g View Post
                    I think my original intention with this post was to get feedback from running the car in the stock form, but I messed up the writing..
                    Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
                    G, that's how I like to run my cars, and both of my FXX's are totally stock, tires and all.
                    I am with Kurt on this: I too like to run my cars as stock as possible. With mine I have gotten some body movement (quite a bit of work as the chassis positively engages the body in a number of spaces) and put on some urethanes. One BIG change is that I replaced the motor with an 42H as we run at 10V and the 42B motor is just not up to snuff.

Even with the H motor at 10V, it is still not hugely fast in a straight line or very "punchy", but it is extremely smooth and easy to drive.

Wheels are decently round and fit well. Gears mesh well (bit tight for my taste) and are quiet.

Because of significant movement (loose chassis plus motor pod movement) I had to grind out the rear wheel wells as the tyres were rubbing.

All in all a pretty model of an uncommon car that is pleasant to drive.

Comment

I saw these cars run at the SCX Nat.'s last year. They ran good.
                      Dan
                      Ace Hobby Racing

Comment

Quick note, I ran one of these (stock) on the 155' Blue King this weekend. Other cars with much faster motors were on the track, but this car held its own. I was surprised, because I expected to get lapped pretty often. Good balance and easy to drive hard!

Comment

Guys have any of you try the Mercedes 2007 DTM, ref 13770, that is the fastest balanced and easy to drive car that I have ever see, it beats all other cars in our 70-80 ft Digital track, it runs so fast and smooth that everybody bought one, cause we have a championship going one between 8-10 friends and this car is always on top of the times. Since we have like 6 of those I will like to know if this FXX is as good as this car, cause it's cost $60 and I have like 6-8 Gt and DTM cars, but if this FXX is as good as you guys are saying I'll buy one to race in a another model car but be competitive. Thanks
                          Last edited by DeCastro45; 07-27-2010, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X