SCX motor braking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCX motor braking

Hi all a quick question about SCX motors loosing their braking.

I have now had two motors for the Prorace Rally car kit that have both ran very well for a preiod then for some reason the cars have run out of motor braking.

Two other members at our club have had this issue as well. I understand that all of the motors would have been from the same batch as the kits were all purchased at about the same time.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue and suggest a fix?

regards

Ray

Never had that happen to me yet. Electrical contact might be the cause...brushes...motor/copper rail contact. Maybe adjust the brush springs. Or hit it with a blast of electrical cleaner.?

Comment

If a bunch of motors are losing their braking, then something else is happening -- their inherent ability to brake isn't gone. I've never seen a SCX motor lose its braking.

Now, when SCX cars and motors are brand new, there is a lot of internal resistance and friction as the motor brushes and gears bed in. Then they smooth out and get a little more free-wheeling, but they still have more brakes than just about any other brand.

It's more likely that your track is getting dirty, and you're getting poor electrical contact at the rails. When electrical contact is bad, your braking goes away. Clean the track, clean your braids, and we'll go from there.

Comment

Hi thanks for the comments this is a real mystery.

I have pulled the two motors apart checked, cleaned and tested on the bench and seem to run ok in respect to RPM.

I have retested on out tracks (4 commercial tracks) same issue tried several controllers same issue. Also a couple of other racers at our track have tried the car and found the same issue.

One motor was run in for a considerable period 6 hours @ 3 v both ways, 1.5 hours @ 6 v both ways, and a couple of minutes at 9 and 12 v etc. the other motor was put in out of the box.

Also two other members have had the same issue with their SCX Pro Rally kits.

Ray

Comment

That is extremely odd, for sure. Have you looked at the gear ratio and the mechanical brake? One of the advantages of having a mechanical braking system in these cars is that you can gear the car very tall (lots of top speed). You normally sacrifice a lot of brakes to do this, but you can make up for that poor braking using a mechanical brake.

I know that you said you've 'lost' braking -- is there a tall gear ratio, and the mechanical brake has pulled away from the crown gear over time?

Comment

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
            That is extremely odd, for sure. Have you looked at the gear ratio and the mechanical brake? One of the advantages of having a mechanical braking system in these cars is that you can gear the car very tall (lots of top speed). You normally sacrifice a lot of brakes to do this, but you can make up for that poor braking using a mechanical brake.

I know that you said you've 'lost' braking -- is there a tall gear ratio, and the mechanical brake has pulled away from the crown gear over time?

Hi ElSecondo yes I have used all of the inline Slot.it gears it is deffinitly a motor issue.

Ray

Comment

Do you have a place to zap the can?

Comment

Working...
              X