Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital to Analog Layout

Regarding the above referenced subject, I have questions:

Indulge me, I live in a city where I can't go to the local hobby shop and physically look at or inspect any of the SCX product, much less ask a question. I will have to order online.

So what do I need to make the temporary conversion, description and part number please.

Terminal track, controllers, analog transformer?

Can I use the digital transformer for analog?

How about the good 45 ohm scx controller instead or the cheap set controller? Will it plug right into the analog terminal track?

I'm not thinking set, I don't need any more analog cars, throw away controllers, or track. Especially track without the powerline.

How about the following:

A10016X200 connection track (1)
    88800 transformer (1)
    88790 Hand throttle (2)
    or
    80740 pro hand throttle (2)

I lifted this from a discussion over on scxww forum. Sorry for the repetitiveness for those of you who frequent that forum.

Hopefully you can buy specific pieces separately, if not now then soon.
    But, I do know that you can buy one of their new analog sets that come with digital compatible track, then just swap in the analog power and control parts. Since their LCs are purely mechanical, I would guess that they can be left in with no adverse effect. Not sure about digital accessories, but since they use the special power line, I would bet they'll be ok, too. Plus, you can use the extra track in the set to extend your layout, and the cars as analog cars, or eventually convert them to digital.

Comment

Originally posted by JWEBDRD View Post
      Regarding the above referenced subject, I have questions:

So what do I need to make the temporary conversion, description and part number please.

Terminal track, controllers, analog transformer?

How about the following:

A10016X200 connection track (1)
      88800 transformer (1)
      88790 Hand throttle (2)
      or
      80740 pro hand throttle (2)
      You already answered that question above. Those are all your options if you want to stick with just SCX parts for simplification. (It should be noted that the part number for the pro controller is 50740, however.)

Can I use the digital transformer for analog?
      You could but I think 18 volts is too powerful for analog. It would be preferable to get the 14 volt transformer that you mentioned above. In addition, depending on how you prefer to drive, you might even want lower voltages like between 9 and 12 volts if you prefer the slightly slower pace of no mag racing. (Recently I've been racing w/ some members of SCI and I really do prefer the lower voltage and no mag racing since it really makes one learn how to drive into corners w/ a combination of braking and acceleration.)

How about the good 45 ohm scx controller instead or the cheap set controller?
      I'm sure the pro-controller will have a noticeable improvement over the set controller since the pro would have brakes built into it. However, it wouldn't hurt if you could test both styles first to see if you notice a difference. I've never owned any of the low cost controllers but I have tested some Parma and Professor Motor controllers. I ended up w/ a Professor Motor w/ the adjustable sensitivity for acceleration and brakes. It's a really awesome controller.

Will it plug right into the analog terminal track?
      Judging by the pics and product description, it has the proper audio jack connection as well a banana plug option.

I'm not thinking set, I don't need any more analog cars, throw away controllers, or track. Especially track without the powerline.
      Yeah, I feel the same way too.

I already have more track than I need and I really don't want another terminal track since I made an SCX-D analog terminal from the older SCX Terminal Track Plus. However, I was tempted recently to get an analog Moto GP set just to get the bikes since it really is cheaper to get a set (buying just the two bikes separately is really expensive).

As for the universal track w/o the PowerLine, it's perfectly good track for SCX-D. You just have to watch where to place the track in respect to where you want the digital accessories on the layout.

Hope this was helpful.

Dave
      Last edited by LDFan; 02-13-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

man, my english is poor, but I understood you are wanting a digital and analog track.

if its correct, I have this track here.

I have a bit layout scxd with 4 lanes and 70 ft (will be 100ft in a few weeks). with any small changes in changeovers straights, I have one digital and analog track. Obviously I bought a scx analog connection straigh, a big power suply (14V 10A), and analog hand throtlle.

with a 4 lane track, and without slidding curve and chicane (this itens will not works in analog/digital track) you have an analog and digital track. when you will play digital, put transformer in digital connection straight, and when you would like to use analog, put power suply in analog connection straight, but I must be very carefull to never have both connection straights online in same time, because if I make this, I will burn all

probably today I will open a thread here posting some pics from my track.

Comment

Working...
        X