SCX motor design change.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCX motor design change.

When did SCX change their motor endbell design? I was going to swap out the motor in my Barracuda and I found out the motor, and as a result the motor bracket is somewhat shorter than those in my other SCX cars. Upon closer inspection I realized that SCX has gone to a cheaper brush and brush spring design similar to that in most other 1/32 motors. Gone are the brush hoods, coil springs and separate brushes. Maybe this is why my Cuda just won't keep up even with my other SCX cars.

Check the designation on the motor, is that an RK-42? If so, there are different motor holders for them, if not, let's see if we can figure out what it is first.

Ran

Comment

I will check tomarrow but I'm pretty sure the motor has no ID printed on it.

Comment

It should be an RK-42 if it came out of the white / blue #4 Cuda.

I'm not certain why the change in motor but the gossip has been that it was a compromise in power between an RX-42 and RX-42B so that it would be more compatible with SCX-D in respect to reducing chip damage.

Dave

Comment

Hi Bob,
          Don't know which car you have but the cudas are a jumble. I have 6 cudas with three different type of motors in them. Depending on which car you have it is either the RX42, RX42B or RK42. The RK42 is the most recent motor.
          Most of the motors I have have the id on the bottom so they have to be removed from the holder to see which one they are. Sounds like you have the RK. If so there are some other motors available just not the RX series.
          Ventura Alfa

Comment

Originally posted by LDFan View Post
            I'm not certain why the change in motor but the gossip has been that it was a compromise in power between an RX-42 and RX-42B so that it would be more compatible with SCX-D in respect to reducing chip damage.

Dave

I have heard that a few times on SCX WW. What is your take on the speed of the new RK?

Reason I ask is I have one in the newer Mercedes SLR with the RK motor and it is the absolute fastest car on the track (we only run in JR mode) and beats the stink off any 42B I have.

Could be the car, could be the motor...don't know which.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawslot View Post
              I have heard that a few times on SCX WW. What is your take on the speed of the new RK?

Reason I ask is I have one in the newer Mercedes SLR with the RK motor and it is the absolute fastest car on the track (we only run in JR mode) and beats the stink off any 42B I have.

Could be the car, could be the motor...don't know which.
              I have the Mercedes with the RK as well, it is pretty quick. Found that if I put a 42B in a Corvette, it is competitive, otherwise that Mercedes is wicked fast

Ran

Comment

The beauty of the new motor, is they are the same shape as an FK 180, so any of the common big blocks fit the pod...

Comment

Originally posted by outlawslot View Post
                  I don't own any of those RK motored cars as of yet. I am planning on getting a couple of those cars that I know have that motor so I'll mention it one day.

Dave

Comment

Bob
                    Try fitting a ten tooth pinion and see how it goes then.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by lenny broke View Post
                      Bob
                      Try fitting a ten tooth pinion and see how it goes then.

Alan
                      +1

Comment

Working...
                      X