RX-41 vs RX-42

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX-41 vs RX-42

Yesterday, I bought the SCX Ferrari 550 GTS Maranello and it's a great car. Yes, the SCX motors don't have as much punch on the straights but when you run 4 SCX cars against one another, it's no problem.

I noticed that the Ferrari 550 (#61800) has the RX-42 motor. I'm waiting for the Corvette C6R, the Ferrari 360 Modena and the Aston Martin DBR9 to come in and I have the intention of buying the soon to be released Ferrari 550 and the Seat Cupra.

These cars have the RX-41 motor, if what I read is correct. What's the difference between the RX-41 and the RX-42? Will I be able to run these cars against one another, getting similar performance from each of them?

Thanks for the input. These cars should make a great class to run in our club for the new racing season.

Christian

There is a thread here that may interest you:

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...ead.php?t=5770

I just got the Ferrari as well, what a beauty of a slot car!

Comment

Thanks Paul.

I have no intention to change the motor in these SCX cars because they will be run mostly box-stock against other SCX GT cars on my new semi-magnetic routed track.

I had already read the thread you mentioned but I'm even more confused than I was before. Some are even saying the Ferrari 550 has the RX-41 motor. Is this correct?

What I really want to know is: will this Ferrari 550 be able to run side-by-side (performance-wise) with the Corvette, the Aston-Martin, the Ferrari 360 and the Seat Cupra, all from SCX?

Christian

Comment

all those cars should be close performance wise. if all the motors run as they should then differences from car to car will not be attributable to those motors. more likely out of round wheels will be the culprit. that's why these cars have that extra strength magnet........it's cover for the out of round wheels........

Comment

The RX42 is "1" better than the RX41. SCX cars generally are quite close to each other in terms of performance.

Comment

Ahhhh, so you're a doctor of slot motorology!?

Comment

The tachometer test of an SCX RX-41 was 13,102 RPM/12v. For an RX-42 (Aston Martin), it was 15,413. One motor each. However, a recent trial run and tuning session with an SCX Corvette C6R showed very good performance from the stock motor, RX-42 (I think!), as if it were an RX-62C. I have tach'd an RX-62C at 20,110. I also tested a Pro Turbo at about 19-20k; track tests showed one of these motors with stock gears would run evenly with a stock-geared Scalextric down 12' and 16' straights, in similar F1 cars.

The SCX motors run faster as the brushes wear in. Give them an hour at 6 volts, out of the chassis, and see if they speed up.

Comment

SCX RX motors

Both the 360 and Aston I have have RX-42C motors in them. It's difficult to compare motors with the RX-41 because there are several versions of that motor with different comms, brush setup and other minor changes. The latest come with a better comm and what appears to be better magnets though I don't have a gauss meter to verify that. The latest version after breakin will give you somewhere around 18K rpms at 12vdc if you have a good one. The RX-42 will provide about the same performance as the wind is identical on the one I have. RX-62C and 91(used to be RX8(1) series (4wd) are quite a bit faster giving somewhere around 22+krpms at 12vdc after proper breakin. The ohms on these 2 are lower and they are as good as the current turbo pro. RX-6 series motors has alway been faster as the previous version the RX-6 was the motor in the SRS2 type cars. The motor shaft is longer than the RX4 series and must be trimmed to use the motor in an RX4 car. If I was going to use a stock SCX motor I'd opt for the RX-62C because with proper gearing the added torque/rpms will make it a match for most other stock motors and on some tracks a better choice.
                Rob's measurements seem to be in line with the motors before a lengthy breakin though the RX41 seems to be the old comm one. My experience is that the greatest improvement was made with the comm change and better brush springs.
                Jimmy

Comment

Chris I have both the 550 and the AM by SCX. First throw the mags away! I have been running my SCX GT's non-mag and they are a ball! At Ace we are running them at 14 v's almost stock (Super Tires-1408) and both cars are almost dead even all the way around the track. When we get the rest of the GT cars in stock we will be running a SCX class.
                  SCX has made great strides forward in their cars, have fun!!
                  Dan
                  Ace Hobby Racing

Comment

SCX Chaparral motor?

Which motor is in the SCX Chaparral "matchbox" GT car? This is the first SCX car I have had and I don't know how to identify the motors in them yet.
                    Mr. Livingston, if you read this, what RPM are these Chappy motors?
                    Slotpoor

Comment

I don't know much, but I do know this:

SCX motors are often labelled as to what "RX" type they are. The lettering is on the side of the case which is hidden by the motor mount (under side of case).

So far, I know that the current issue Aston Martin and Ferrari GT cars have RX-42's, an odd step down from the last year's model of the Dome Judd with the faster RX-62C. The RX-42 turns about 15k/12v. The RX-41 and the F1 motor were the same, in my tests of a single motor of each type; about 13k at 12v. The RX-62C and the Turbo Pro were also the same (around 20k/12v). That is all I know. Jimmy in Greece has a lot more experience with these motors than I do.

Comment

The motors that SCX drops in their cars is a bummer for me.
                        I want SO bad to run an SCX NASCAR in our HSARC Challengers Stockcar league, but its not gonna be able to hang with the Scaley's.

Comment

re:Scx Motors

I think I saw a Slot-it adapter for SCX cars to fit the mabuchi can motor. Anyone know about this?
                          Slotpoor

Comment

Yup, it's the Slot.it SISP08 "Adaptor V12 to RX shape motor" designed specifically to allow a wider range of motors to be used in SCX cars.

Like Robert, I wonder why the RX-62 isn't their "stock" motor, and also why it isn't more freely available. With thorough running-in and the right gearing (say around 2.89:1) it can be a giant of a motor but mostly it's under appreciated.

The SCX Dome Judd is doing very well, comparitively, in the current Race Across America; particularly on the magnet tracks. Great looking, super lights, well priced.

Comment

re:scx motors

I took my Chappy completely apart. There was no marking on the motor anywhere. The box the car came in is dated 1995. I may try and find the Dome Judd motor or simply put a 18k mabuchi can in it.
                              Slotpoor

Comment

Working...
                              X