RX-41 vs RX-42

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995?

And now you have taken it all apart, and raced it, and everything?

Woah do you have any idea what that car could have fetched on epay, new in the box?

Comment

SCX RX motors

The motor in your Chap is an RX-4 in all likelihood. RX-4s were not marked in all cases and would sometimes come with a sticker on the side with an SCX P/N (there were several). The change to RX-41 came some time after 1995 and the first RX41s had the copper feet to connect to the chassis but also retained the plugins for the wires of the older cars. I think the Chap took the short shaft motor so that would be the RX-4. If by chance it took the long shaft one then it is an RX-6. The RX-6 series has always been a faster motor than the RX-4 series and were used on SCX's SR-2 cars in several versions and colors other than the standard polished case. The Black can RX-6 found in many of the later SRS-2 cars was a much faster motor than the RX-4 and was about as fast as the newer RX motors except for the 62C. I think the RX-6 was started because some cars had limited room in the rear for motor clearance so the longer shaft was made, but that's just a guess on my part.

The reason not all cars have the 62C is because SCX makes 3 types of drivetrain; 1. standard interface which uses the RX-41 length shaft, 2. the long shaft 2wd which uses the longer shaft RX-62C (this motor is usually used when the car type has little room in the rear of the body for a motor such as the Dome), 3. the dual shaft RX 81/91 for 4wd (I don't have many of these but I think there my be 2 shaft lengths for this motor type also but I can't verify it). To use an RX-62C in an RX-41/2 setup all you need to do is trim the shaft slightly to clear the crown shaft.

For many short/medium tracks, using non-magnet setup, a well tuned RX-62C can stay with most other cars. On the longer tracks the RPM motors will usually win out; however, don't automatically discount the RX until you try some lower (numeric) gear raitios first. The RX has more torque than almost all FC type motors so it can run quite well on 2.something gears that would bogg down the FCs.

Cars like the Dome don't have much body clearance so The Slotit FC change usually takes some fitting and the motor pod movement will be restricted by the FC's added height. This can be reduced somewhat by careful grinding in the body and on the top of the motor brush holder. Additionally, I'm not sure that the shaft of the Slotit SCX upgrade is long enough to engage the auto align feature of the crown gear on the Dome or any other long shaft setup so the mesh would need to be set with spacers.

Jimmy

Comment

re:SCX Chaparral

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer
        1995?

And now you have taken it all apart, and raced it, and everything?

Woah do you have any idea what that car could have fetched on epay, new in the box?
        I bought the car as an addition to my Chaparral stable. It will be modified with correct detailing, better motor and wheels/tires. I had previously been watching these on Epay. They Definately are no money maker right now. They bring from 47.00 to 55.00. Alan has these new for 44.00 for the speculators here. I can't hope to afford a Cox Chappy. This one is as close to a 2E as I will get. My next project is to build a Chappy 2D.
        Slotpoor

Comment

Working...
        X