SCX WOS returns as SCX Advanced?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCX WOS returns as SCX Advanced?

Could this be the herald of the return of SCX? Am I the only one who really cares?

Dejavu:
    http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...50#post1009050

I am currently expecting Advance to just be WOS with a different plastic shell over the base unit, and remotes without the extra buttons, in favor of showing, and editing your car attributes on the app screen. So basically it will work like the PC Lap Counter interface Craig made, and may still be compatible with it.

However, there is a chance they changed it all.
    They showed photos and videos of the track and product, but nothing that actually tells you anything about what they changed.

Didn't Hornby Scalextric have a "Scalextric Advanced" logo on some of their digital system boxes?

Comment

It's good to see scx back. But we don't know to much about the new system. I'll sit and wait to see more before saying anything about it.

Comment

I think this is the totally wireless system people thought WOS was going to be. Up to 9 cars shown in their graphics at the show. That's much easier to do when the control is wireless directly to the car, and laps are counted in a different way than we're used to with track-based control to the car (even when controllers are wireless, most systems send the controls to the cars through the rails).

Time will tell, though. At the very least, the track looks the same.

Comment

In the latest article they are claiming you can use Advance Cars on SCX D and SCX W tracks.
          So, Advance will have to be wireless from controller to car.

No clue on how the lap counting will work... for the above to be true, they would have to interact with both systems lap counter data...

I guess if you use WOS controllers, and Advance controllers, you should be able to run 15 cars, as long as you do not care about the laps or fuel not working right...

https://translate.google.com/transla...F__tn__%3DHH-R
          Last edited by Draconious; 02-04-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Very interesting. Does that mean the chips have the reed sensors in order to trigger lap counting on the SCXD system? From the translation of that article, it certainly makes it look like they intend for the cars (SCXA chips) to be fully backward compatible with the old systems. It's certainly possible, I'm just surprised they would do it. I'm not sure if I'll pick up a set, but I certainly look forward to seeing how this stuff works in real life once it hits the shelves. If it's everything that article seems to promise, it will be the missing link for all their disparate systems. Hopefully their race management app can provide hobby level racing.

Comment

This should've been the system they should've made to begin with. It sounds promising. I've went broke going back and forth from scx digital to scx wos, and I'm not going to be tempted to buy scx advance again. I've moved on with scalextric arc pro, and I like their system very much. I never race six cars because four cars are plenty with my size race track. I wish scx the best of luck with their new system. It's good for the hobby to have more choices out there.

Comment

I barely even had a chance to acquaint myself with WOS.

In any case, good to see SCX trying to keep things going unlike Ninco just totally abandoning their system. Not sure that I will invest in Advance since it’s pointless since my SCX-D system has been boxed for a number of years now. I’ll wait and see what the product looks like and how it functions when it launches.

Anyway.... back to my other hobby for now.

Dave

Comment

building a ladder

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                  it certainly makes it look like they intend for the cars (SCXA chips) to be fully backward compatible with the old systems. It's certainly possible, If it's everything that article seems to promise, it will be the missing link for all their disparate systems. Hopefully their race management app can provide hobby level racing.

I was thinking about all the ways SCX screwed up today. And about Carrera pro x to digital 132. I was watching a Lionel video, the guy was demonstrating Lionel Chief Plus. He was talking about building a ladder. The customer (a newbie) could buy a beginner set, conventional or lion chief, move up to lion chief plus or on to TMCC or legacy control. It can all work together, you never have to retire an expensive or older piece. Good way to keep customers, making it backward compatible. To bad the slot car companies don't think long term retention of customers.

I gave up on Scalextric when they announced they were replacing classic with sport, I had just bought a set, some more track and accessories! At least you had an adaptor track, and that helped to ease the transition. I gave up on them and went to Carrera. Same with SCXD, I liked it but I gave up on SCXWOS. They should have continued to support SCXD with cars and chips and motors until customers felt secure with WOS. I know I would be reluctant to spend money on SCX new product. I now own both Scalextric digital and Carrera digital.

Meanwhile more on customer retention. I tried to post the above, but got failure notice again. Fortunately I had copied my reply. I learned to do that when my reply to the digital survey got lost. If the site won't work, is to frustrating, we will all go elsewhere. Alan is paying for service, and not getting it. I believe I would take my business elsewhere at this point.

Comment

Ctrl + A

You make some important points there, I liked your analogy regarding Lionel Chief Plus.

Backward compatibility only makes sense, in the long-term view.

I've been an 'outsider looking in' on the digital scene for some years now; it seems to me that when all the big manufacturers launched their products/systems, their goal was to the first to bring something to market. No long-term view, really.

Meanwhile more on customer retention. I tried to post the above, but got failure notice again. Fortunately I had copied my reply. I learned to do that when my reply to the digital survey got lost. If the site won't work, is to frustrating, we will all go elsewhere. Alan is paying for service, and not getting it. I believe I would take my business elsewhere at this point.
                    I hear you. My F5 key is worn out, and valuable thoughts (to my mind) have been lost to the ether when I hit Submit Reply without remembering to copy beforehand.

It is being worked on, and unfortunately, it's been a slow process.

Thanks to folks like Mr. F who have such a great comprehension of the digital slot car world, and our many individual contributors to these digital discussions, SCI remains (I think) a useful resource for those involved in this area of slot racing. And it will get better, soon ...

Comment

SCX ADVANCE is suppose to come out in September. Let's see what happens.

Comment

Cool. I assume no more news or information wherever that release date was posted?

Comment

It was posted some time ago. Let’s see if their target date holds true.

Comment

I hope this comes true! I have so much invested in SCX digital and WOS both!

Comment

Working...
                            X