SCX Digital Power Jumper Track Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

track jumper using anderson power poles

Hi Dave i tried making the jumpers using anderson power poles, but i havent got the same results, I checked the voltage at the track with a power supply, 13.21, then after connecting the wires i dont get the same reading, any help?

Thanks John

Comment

Do you get the same reading on each lane?

And what are you using for a power supply? Mine delivers 18.3V at the track.
      Last edited by kidvoltage; 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I would suggest doing a continuity check between the two jumped tracks (no power connected) to verify that the signal is making it from one track to another. You might have a cold or loose solder connection that is preventing proper transfer and if that is the case you just need to re-heat the solder to make sure they stick to the track connections and wiring.

Anyway, if it was wired correctly, you should have the same voltage on each end.

Dave
        Last edited by LDFan; 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Lets try again

this is from a small 12v power supply, just to test the track.

This is my track, with one set of power pole connections and leads to the track
          when i tested the continuity of the connections it came out ok, when i tested the connecting wires from here to the next track, no voltage, but continuity in the wires.

I'm stumped,

John

Comment

Did you check for a short between the wires?

Comment

It works!!!

Well thanks to all who responded, i backchecked the connections and the power poles were the culprit, i redid them and noiw get the voltage where i should.

Thanks again for having a outlet to share with others.

John

Comment

Good job, John!

Comment

Hello , just one question . On the track that distributes the power , do you have to take power from both lanes? I see in the pictures that the wires are connected from both lanes. On the receiving track I understand that the power needs to be distributed to both tracks! Any comments please.

Comment

You don't really have to since the distribution track will probably be close to the terminal track and it's jumped already @ that point for both lanes.

Still, I do it anyway just to be consistent and you never know if there might be a need to move the distribution track to a location where both lanes should be jumped.

Dave

Comment

Well I took the single track from the chicane to extend the power to , only one track to make the power jumper. Will try it out in a couple of weeks

Greetings from Belgium
                      Bart

Comment

Hi , last question . Is it of any importance that the transmitting track is after or before the starting grid? My configuration would be that the transmitting track is just before the powerbase

Greetings from Belgium
                        Bart

Comment

It makes no difference.

The intent of the transmitting track is to be near the terminal track so that it gets the highest amount of power to transmit to an area that is much weaker (which is the furthest point).

Dave

Comment

Can you just connect the 18V Transformer directly to these track sections?
                            Last edited by shady14u; 05-09-2014, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Of course not.

Think of the logic; you don't connect the current power supplies "directly" to the track for a reason because the track needs to receive power that is mixed w/ control data. Not only that, adding a "foreign" power source that bypasses the power coming out of the Control Unit / Pit Box will surely cause damage to the system. This is true also w/ analog.

In addition, the concept of a power jumper is not about "adding power" but just providing a more "even distribution" of power. If you think of it in that manner, then I think you'll find how all this makes sense.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X