Would You Buy???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Buy???

There are some nice fantasy Livery cars out there. Would you buy a Slot-it fantasy Livery???
    Last edited by sascws90; 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM. Reason: spell chk

Sure, if I like the livery. Not that particular one, but I can think of a fantasy livery I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Comment

For all I know, half the cars are fantasy liveries! Sure, most have the track written on the base but I don’t search the internet to confirm that the livery is correct. If fantasy liveries means manufacturers might make a cool car that they wouldn’t otherwise because there aren’t enough liveries to make it profitable, I say bring them on.

I also don’t care what position a car finished on a particular race and a lot of times I wait for a livery I like better even if the car didn’t do as well.

I like seeing historic liveries on new cars of the same brand, like what Porsche did with their Cayman cup cars, which I guess it’s kind of a fantasy livery also.

I think that particular car would sell a lot better if Slot.it would do the historic livery thing on it, assuming they are allowed to. I like the shape of the car but haven’t picked one up because I don’t like any of the liveries. I think it would look awesome with a Pink Pig livery on it!
      Last edited by Lou E; 04-07-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Ahhhhh, no --I'm not interested in 'fantasy' liveries but I'm not opposed to manufacturers trying to make some bucks selling them (paint it light blue and orange!!) --however I admit to being tempted to add JPS logos to the 'Lotus" Lola LMP that Slot.it recently released....

Steve C.

Comment

Yep, if the livery appeals to me.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

There are many fantasy liveries out there. I am a racer not a collector so a great paint job is always appealing.

Comment

Great paint jobs.....that would be a deal breaker and maker!
                Last edited by sascws90; 04-09-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Fantasy liveries would be a gamble for the manufacturer

And we are about to see what success will come from the Chevy Monte Carlos soon to be released. First I must mention that these are model cars and that means they model the real thing. So realism is appreciated and expected by most of the consumers. And the slot car or model company pays for that with a royalty payment too. And that is in the price we pay for the model car. So why have a Porsche and color it like a Wheaties cereal box or a Campbell Soup can if it should really have a Martini or Gulf Oil paint job? For authenticity. It's a scale model. And we modelers do like our authenticity. We're related to the model train folks but faster.

Now I know a lot of us don't care if it's a scale model as long as it goes fast and handles. I don't know what percentage of us but I hope we don't breed and spread that sickness. I've got a big collection of nice models and don't want to be in the minority here. But due to the imposing greed by some of the controllers of brand names around here, we will soon be enjoying our hobby racing cars shaped just like they should be but otherwise looking a little iffy. So we won't see Darrel's name on a Bud car or Harry's name on a Skoal Bandit. But hopefully we can buy em in the right colors anyway and squint when we race them. I pray some purists will make decals for them too. Underground. Cross your fingers.
                  Last edited by silverhelmet; 07-22-2018, 07:19 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

I think some of the greed to be angry with are the licencors. Why do they need more money when they are basically getting additional marketing for money they've already spent? Why they GET money for marketing when normally they'd be PAYING for it?

And slot car companies that make fantasy "looks like" liveries are the greedy ones for trying to stay afloat? I know you don't believe that slot car manufacturers are rolling in money. Even the "successful" ones are practically still doing it for the love and passion for it. If it's looking like the company might completely tank, then it might be time to cut them a little slack for wanting to save enough money to stay in the game a little longer.

I "get" the desire for an authentic model of a real car that raced. I don't ascribe to it, but I understand. In a very few instances, it's important to me as well. But no matter how much you love them for all the other, more noble things, they are still, at their fundamental level, a toy. It's toy racing cars. They are just as much fun for the vast and overwhelming majority of buyers when they look cool, as they are when they look realistic. Companies that do the fantasy liveries to stay afloat are certainly going to save more money on the lower cost to produce than they are going to lose on the few sales that would have happened if the livery was licensed. I'm sure they understand that is an important part of their market, and have made these decisions with due consideration.

Comment

I've been involved in the decision making on this topic many times. I haven't once, in over 10 years of working for 3 different companies heard anyone say they were looking forward to doing fantasy liveries instead of trying to make a real livery of a real car. There is always work (of course behind the scenes) to make an accurate, real model of a car. Anyone thinking any different, is misunderstanding motivations by slot companies.
                      That is the truth of the story... period.

Comment

Companies sometime Miss the Mark on Liveries and Body Shapes as in the latest Ford GT MKIV??
                        But it is Great for the Hobby!!!
                        That being said,
                        I purchased 2 white kits MRRC Ford GT MKIV, 2 Slot-it Ford GT40 MKII cars, 12 MRRC Ford GT MKIV cars (red and yellow), parts (chassis, motors, gears, guides, etc), painting equipment and material, and sold a ton of parts on epay. Found 3D chassis and made what I consider a better Ford MKIV Car!! http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=98603
                        With all the cars that I have purchased and now made, Fantasy Cars are now in my scope as well.
                        ps..... With Dave onboard the vessel, I know that we will get Great Cars Period!
                        Last edited by sascws90; 07-25-2018, 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by sascws90 View Post
                          Companies sometime Miss the Mark on Liveries and Body Shapes as in the latest Ford GT MKIV??

Comment

While there are some 'greedy' corporate types out there, I've also worked on getting approvals for modeling and many times, it is simply the fact that the company needs to A. Eliminate any Liability (yes lawyers will sue Texaco if their stupid client kid choked on a toy car with "Texaco" on it...) and B., Depending upon the country and their copyright laws, they need to 'defend' any misuse or confusing use of the trademarks - and believe it or not, some courts think that putting real names of sponsors on cars is 'confusing' the use of the mark. And don't get me started about re-writing history by not allowing swastikas on Auto Unions and Mercedes-Benz pre-war cars....

End rant...
                            Steve

Comment

Paint Your own.

I know that this thread is about whether you would buy a fantasy livery or not. But I have gone one step further. I buy white kits or repaint other painted slotcars to make my own liveries.

Comment

Working...
                              X