Very Disappointed in Slot It Oxigen System....to say the least

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Disappointed in Slot It Oxigen System....to say the least

After much research I decided to go with the Slot It Oxigen digital racing system. Have made a very significant investment in it, close to $3000.00. Have had it for almost a year and still not able to use it. The reason really jerks my chain...I cant get any of the Oxigen chips to install in cars. What the H E double hockey sticks is going on??

Dan

Are you searching worldwide, or just stateside?
    I believe another run is quite eminent, but I thought there would still be at least a few chips somewhere out there.

One thing that didn't help very recently was the 24hr endurance race in the UK. They were scrounging chips from all over to make sure there were good numbers of spares during the race. I don't expect the unused ones to go back on the market any time soon, though.

Slot.it clearly did not expect such high demand this year. I'm sure they're working hard to get more chips to market ASAP.

Comment

The story that led us to the current shortage of chips is as follows. I may sound like this guy but this is it, from the horse's mouth.

Work on type C chip began almost two years ago. It's an ambitious task, as it's a natively cross compatible chip for Scalextric SSD, Carrera D132, and of course oXigen. It's small, fits onto DPR latch, has better radio link, and advanced features such as firmware updates via bluetooth.

We had to overcome a few hurdles and were running late - but apart from the delay, which now amounts at least to 8 months, we weren't too worried. It was also necessary to put this chip through a series of tests and wait for feedback from several beta testers, before putting it into production. Some testers may confirm that we sent out different hardware versions of type C over a few month's period.

There was no plan to ditch type B1 in fact. Type C requires a different lighting kit, and is a different beast, so the plan was to keep making the 'old' B1 that served us and our customers so well, and of course there was no "pre-existing issue with the Type B1 chip which halted production". At a certain point, last winter, for technical reasons that are not, as far as we can tell, dependent on us, we had to stop manufacturing of type B1 exactly to avoid potential issues on the chips on the production batches that were yet to be made. This is when things started really to get bad.

With type C now ready to start production, but not made yet, we started as quickly as we could the design of type B2 - same core IC of type C, but 'B' footprint and harness compatibility. Development and testing went well.

It must be also said that currently, at least in Italy, automation, robotics, electronics business is growing strongly. Therefore, lead time for components has increased, and lead time from assembly plans has become much longer. Type C requires high end assembly machines due to the extremely small parts we use (technically, 0204 parts and BGA IC if you want to know). Our current maker can do it, but as they are very busy, we tried a different plant - failing as the newly tried company lacked the specialized machinery. So we had to go back in line to the 'old' plant, which is where we are now.

To cut this story short - I've had confirmation, today, that the type C chips will be delivered on May 2nd. We'll do our best to ship them out quickly.

We're sourcing components for B2 chips, and I will know tomorrow whether we have them all in house. Then it will be a matter of assembly lead time. I will keep you informed.

I know this will not solve your current lack of chips, and apologies will not help you out either, but at least you know what's happening and when this will be fixed.

Comment

Seriously -- would you ever see another Mea Culpa and explanation like this from any other manufacturer??

As with my model railroad club - and my slot track (which I kept analog...) when planning for DCC -it is best to always be able to convert to Analog - exactly for cases like these --

SC

Comment

^^^ +1 ^^^

Comment

I made a mistake - a link was missing. The post was supposed to begin like this: "The story that led us to the current shortage of chips is as follows. I may sound like this guy but this is it, from the horse's mouth."

At least now, the phrase makes sense. BTW, seriously, we've had our share of earthquakes and flooding in the last years around here, but we weren't affected.

To end the day, I had to write the above post three times, as the browser crashed twice. And after that, and before writing it for the third, eventually successful, time, I was called urgently to look after a sewage issue at home. Life can be ironic...

Comment

Maurizio

Your command of English, a second (maybe third or fourth) language, is impressive.

Your command of American comedy is priceless!

"It wasn't my fault......I swear to god!!!!!!!!"

((M.F. To M.G.: "C'mon, let's go."))
              Last edited by Rleog; 04-18-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

The exact reason that no matter the cost, I will always make Slot.it my first choice, when spending my slot car dollars.
                Thank you Sir for taking the time to explain the company position. Other manufacturers take note.

Comment

Originally posted by slot.it View Post
                  ...EDITED........

There was no plan to ditch type B1 in fact. Type C requires a different lighting kit, and is a different beast, so the plan was to keep making the 'old' B1 that served us and our customers so well, and of course there was no "pre-existing issue with the Type B1 chip which halted production". At a certain point, last winter, for technical reasons that are not, as far as we can tell, dependent on us, we had to stop manufacturing of type B1 exactly to avoid potential issues on the chips on the production batches that were yet to be made. This is when things started really to get bad.

With type C now ready to start production, but not made yet, we started as quickly as we could the design of type B2 - same core IC of type C, but 'B' footprint and harness compatibility. Development and testing went well.

..EDITED..........
                  I see this is originally about Oxigen. Are we talking about SISP15B chips? They too have been tough to find but I stopped buying so many cars that I still have a few chips left.

I love my Slot.it stuff!

Comment

No, they were talking about the oXigen Type B1 chip. At this point, the Type C is currently being produced.

I don't know the status of the SSD chips.

Comment

I will always support slot.it

Comment

Working...
                      X