X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elstromectric
    started a topic HRSS McLaren + Slot It Pinion

HRSS McLaren + Slot It Pinion

Will a Slot It Sidewinder pinion work with the stock Hrss spur gear? I would like to keep the stock rims if possible.

replied
    M8d

Thanks guys, it did take a lot of time to get it done, usual story for the 1st time ya do something different but it did turn a great looking car in to a RACE car on the wooden track.
    Us Kiwis just love all the Can-Am cars and to see them run around the track is so cool.

If any of you guys like Can-Am car you need to get 2 DVD's=>
    Can-Am thunder and Can-Am Speed the Speed Odyssey
    they are really great to watch and go very well together. Dave

Leave a comment:

• Elstromectric
    replied
    Hrss McLaren + Slot-It Pinion

Thanks, Dave and Wet Coast. Car looks awesome! Lots of surgery performed. Gives me some more ideas to work with. Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread. Elstromectric.
    Last edited by Elstromectric; 11-04-2008, 02:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Dave sent me some pictures, attached here as Thumbnails. Easier for me to Reply with this and give the Thread a than trying to Edit them into his Post.

Thanks, Dave!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Hsrr M8d

I have gone over board on one of these great looking cars for a fellow racer.
    The wheels are on a spline so twisting them won't work, they need to be tapped out with a 2mm motor shaft.
    Rear rims were drilled and tapped to be set screwed on.
    The black 4 spoke piece will come out by pulling and twisting gently with a good pr of pliers.
    The front spokes are different to the rear ones.
    I lowered the back of the car by raising the axle bushes and gluing them in place to lower the body at the rear.
    I also removed the steering assy and fitted a and wire axle on plastic blocks and also lowered the front of the car a bit.
    I fitted a Slot-It 23K can drive motor and Slot-It gears and of course soft Ninco braid into a Slot-It guide.
    This car now has great corner speed on the wodden track, looks absolutely great running around the track.
    Still running the factory rear slix and not much lead.
    If you want some pix e-mail me [ [email protected] ]
    DAVE.

Leave a comment:

• Elstromectric
    replied
    Hrss McLaren Slo it pinion

This is my track. Fast with good flow. Not easy to have consistant laps. My cars with stock can motors just don't have enough to recover from tail slide's on the outside R1 lane. The slot-it motor's allow me to power out of the corner when the rear tires get caught on the red and white curb of the sport border's. The stock rim's are very wide and small diameter. I'll keep looking for suitable replacements. Just glad to have it on the track.

Leave a comment:

• Slider2
    replied
    The stock rims are really nice, yet a little odd in that they are a press fit aluminum (as opposed to set screw fixation) I haven't taken mine off, but I assume that a slow twisting motion should release them. Grab the axle (in an area that is not important to keep polished) with a pair of small vise grips and rotate the desired wheel back & forth with the other hand.
    The stock tires are beautiful. It's too bad they have lousy traction. Changing them out to Indy Grips or urethanes is probably the single best thing you could have done to increase traction & handling. The whole car could actually stand to be lowered by close to an eighth of an inch.

The motor (barring a defective one) is close to being on a par with Scaleys & Flys. A Slot.it motor (while it wouldn't hurt) might be overkill until the handling gets tightened up, or you have really long straights.

Greg

Leave a comment:

• LegoPete
    replied
    Confusion

I guess I should have wondered why one would replace the stock chassis on a Slot.it McLaren with an HSR. I am not familiar with the details of the HSRR cars. Oh well. Hope everything works out.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Elstromectric
    replied
    Hrss Mclaren +slot It Pinion

Yes ,I was asking about the Mclaren M8D. Sorry for not being clearer. I'm a little late to the game tuning this car. I did not find a lot of post's with the forum search engine. I run on Scaly Sport,mag/weight combo. The car was collecting cobweb's. The Indy Grip's gave it life. Needs Slot-It motor and guide. Had slot's since I was 6yrs old. Hence the name... EL-don,STROM-becker, scal-ECTRIC . Thanks Guys! Elstromectric

Leave a comment:

• Slider2
    replied
    Hmmm.... are we talking about an HSRR (Home Scale Racing Replicas McLaren Mk 8? or a Slot.it HRS chassis?) In either case, I believe a slot.it pinion will work. Possibly a 9 tooth will give a better mesh than an 8 tooth. An SCX pro pinion should work as well. They do for me.

Leave a comment:

• dr vanski
    replied
    Hold On A Minute...

Do you mean the HSRR McLaren - and NOT the Slot.it HRS chassis?

Leave a comment:

• Elstromectric
    replied
    Hrss Mclaren +slot it Pinion

Thanks,Lego Just put on some Indy Grip Silly's. Going to put in a Slot it V12/3-25.

Leave a comment:

• LegoPete
    replied
    Yes. The sidewinder HRS comes with the standard 34 tooth 18 mm gear. All Slot.it sidewinder pinions are 6.5 mm diameter which meshes perfectly with the 18 mm spurs. The only time you might need to change rear rims is if you try a 19 mm spur with 15.8 mm hubs and low profile tires.

Pete

Leave a comment:

Working...
X