Slot it Audi R8C problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot it Audi R8C problem

Hello all, I was running my Audi the other day and noticed that the front wheels were not turning. The front end was not raised, the wheels were not rotating in the wheel wells. So I took the body off and ran the car with no issues. Is there a reason why this is happening?

I'm not too familiar with Slot it cars, but I am mechanically inclined, so if there is a recommended fix, I can probably do it.

Thanks!

I have noticed that some of the more flexible chassis distort when the body is attached. The action of tightening the font body post may be causing the nose of the chassis to turn down, raising the front wheel mount just high enough to lift the tires.
    I placed a rubber 'O' ring between the post and chassis and left the screw a 1/4 turn loose.

Comment

I will try that. Thank you.

Comment

It's not uncommon for Slot.It front axles to rub against the front body post.

I should ask -- is it that they are free to move and still not turning, or is it that they are bound up and not turning?

Comment

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
          It's not uncommon for Slot.It front axles to rub against the front body post.

I should ask -- is it that they are free to move and still not turning, or is it that they are bound up and not turning?
          the wheels do turn with the body off. If I hold the car with the body on and try to turn the wheels with my thumb, they do rotate, but you can feel them rubbing against the wheel wells.

Comment

It's not a guarantee that the tires are rubbing the fenders, so don't start dremelling away just yet.

There are a couple ways the fronts can bind up.

1) The axle can rub against the body post (mentioned above).
            2) When the body is put on, it can sometimes squeeze the lead wires against the axle.
            3) Small caps are used for adjusting front end ride height. If the chassis tweaks a bit (as suggested above) the axle can bind in the axle holders.
            4) Tires can be bound against the bodywork

You can test for #4 easily -- remove the front tires. If the fronts move freely, then you know that the tires were bound against something (chassis or body).

If the fronts still don't move, leave the tires off, because it gives you a good window to look into the front end and see what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
              It's not a guarantee that the tires are rubbing the fenders, so don't start dremelling away just yet.

There are a couple ways the fronts can bind up.

1) The axle can rub against the body post (mentioned above).
              2) When the body is put on, it can sometimes squeeze the lead wires against the axle.
              3) Small caps are used for adjusting front end ride height. If the chassis tweaks a bit (as suggested above) the axle can bind in the axle holders.
              4) Tires can be bound against the bodywork

You can test for #4 easily -- remove the front tires. If the fronts move freely, then you know that the tires were bound against something (chassis or body).

If the fronts still don't move, leave the tires off, because it gives you a good window to look into the front end and see what's going on.
              These are all very good suggestions. The few times I've run into this, it has been the axle binding against the little axle caps that hold it in place from the chassis. Sometimes just simply pushing down on the axle will push these caps back down and the binding goes away. Other times, I've taken off these caps to cure it. You can also sand down the tops of these caps. Removing the caps will, for some reason, increase the rattling noise the car makes.

Scott

Comment

Well, that's the good thing about the caps -- they're in there for a purpose, to help you set the front ride height. Ideally, when the cars ship, they should have the slightest binding because of the caps. Now you can sand them down just enough to give them the perfect ride height.

Removing them altogether just lets the front axle flop around, which is part of what the caps are there to prevent. They're meant to be sanded, and if you ever sand off too much, they're easily replaced.

Comment

Hi there.
                  It's most likely a small issue with the caps, and it won't happen anymore in any new chassis.
                  Remove the body, grab the car with both hands, left and right pointer under the chassis, thumbs on the front axle. Squeeze the axle down - it will sit the caps where they should be.

Alternatively, you can either completely remove the caps or use the 'shimmed' caps (I believe they are coded SP07)

Regards
                  Maurizio

Comment

Thank you all for the input. It's greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X