Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot.it wheels/gearing for scaley 330p4

Hello,
    I have a scalextric ferrari 330P4 that I would like to improve with slot.it parts. Has anyone hopped up this car with slot.it parts, and if so, do you have any suggestions for what wheel size to use, what gearing it likes (with the stock scaley motor), etc.? It's a sidewinder configuration, btw.

Thanks!

I've not done that particular conversion, but have added slot.it parts to the Ford GT.40s. Slot it makes spur gears specifically in the diameter needed for Scalextric and Fly cars so it is a simple matter of getting one in the number of teeth you need. You will also have to replace the axle. I've used BWA wheels as you can put on taller tires and they make inserts that are designed for the car on which you are running the wheels. The Slot.it tires just look a bit odd as they are a lower profile than what was used back in the late 1960s.

Check the various advertisers for the gears and axle. If you plan on doing several conversions like this, you may want to get the set of three when it comes to gears and it wouldn't hurt to replace the pinion as well, though it is not mandatory.

Scott.

Comment

SIKK02 + slot.it rear tires of your choice.

Or you can get the slot.it gear (19mm) and axle, BWA wheels and inserts, and tires of your choice for more scale accuracy...
      Last edited by redlynr; 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your help! That's just what I needed!
        Joel

Comment

Take a look at this thread for choices.

Comment

Wow, I forgot all about that thread. I ran across it about six months ago when I first got this car, but at the time I had no interest in modifying it. Now it's very useful. Especially interesting about the "wiggle slots" that were cut into the body...

Thanks!!

Comment

Obviously (perhaps), for me, the important thing is to tune these Ferraris so they're competitive with other similarly tuned slot cars from that era, such as the Ford GT40, Chappys, etc. Keep that in mind!

Comment

Very true--I have the GT40, and it's a real bear trying to keep it from doing a wheelstand around standard curves. I found that putting some weight on the underside of the hood helped somewhat, but it still doesn't seem competitive with the ferrari. It's close though.

Comment

Does anyone know what model # of BWA wheel is best for this Ferrari? I guess I want a good balance of performance and scale realism. I tried some Indy Grips IG1009 on the stock wheels and they seem to be a good size, but on the fitment charts I saw for BWA wheels on the 132hotslots website, IG1009 isn't listed.

Thanks again!

Comment

In the thread, I listed the BWA wheels I used (32001 on the front, and 32003 on the rear), and the tires that fit. Same wheels and tires as the Ford GT40 modified here. Those are BWA wheels and inserts in the picture -- they're the proper size for the car (the Scaley wheels are undersized, with oversized tires to compensate).

I suggest strongly that you ask Al Penrose (BWA) to turn down the hubs on the rear wheels so you have the maximum available space to fit the sidewinder gears. You can always shim them out with spacers, etc., if you don't need the clearance on both sides.
                    Last edited by JML; 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I guess I totally missed that info from the other thread. I appreciate your help.

Comment

I see that BWA offers "hubless" wheels--BW32003-093, so I guess they must have had lots of requests to turn down the hubs. Thanks again for your help on this.

Comment

If you're going to paint the wheels & inserts, look at this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X