Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It would be nice if Slot.it made a .......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It would be nice if Slot.it made a .......

1.5 mm bore pinion to fit the increasingly popular FF can motors. 64DP pinions with a 1.5 mm bore are available but the selection of 64 DP crown gears, especially those with an "internal" hub (hub extending on the tooth side) is meager. Ideally, such a pinion would have an integral 2mm OD extension to mate with the locating groove on Slot.it crowns. I have most often sleeved the shaft on these motors with 1.5 mm ID 2MM OD tubing but that doubles the number of opportunities for pinion slip if the soldering isn't perfect or the Lock-Tite gives up.

EM

That's a heck of an idea.

Comment

AFAIK, Slot.it doesn't make anything that can't be used on thier own products, so I doubt they'd produce this pinion.

A more likely candidate would be Professor Motor, who already has his own line of aftermarket brass pinions.

Comment

Originally posted by redlynr View Post
        AFAIK, Slot.it doesn't make anything that can't be used on thier own products, so I doubt they'd produce this pinion.
        That may be possible in today's line-up of parts, but I know in years gone by, Slot.It made bushings that were specifically for use in Carrera cars. The OD was too large to work in Slot.It cars. There may not be anything currently, but there's at least one example where a Slot.It part was sized specifically for another manufacturer. Maurizio may not do that any more, though, and I think you're right -- I think everything they're making currently is made to work with Slot.It cars (except for SCX motor adapters, so that Slot.It parts can be adapted for use with another manufacturer).

Comment

Al Penrose, of BWA fame. is going to be releasing pinions of just such a size. They will fit his motors. I'm not sure when, but the last time I talked to him, he indicated soon. Yeah !

Greg

Comment

scaleauto/mrrc do the check pendle slot uk

Comment

Scaleauto (MRRC) makes a line of 1.5mm-bored pinions which were supposedly going to be sold in the USA through Professor Motor. Since they are not here, buy them overseas. I was lucky enough to be sent a sampling for review. They mesh perfectly with Slot.It crowns, and are all different diameters (i.e constant 50 module pitch):

Comment

Yeah, I should have clarified, Slot.it makes bits for other cars, but solely to facilitate the use of other Slot.it parts (axles, gears, motors, etc.) in said cars...

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
                That may be possible in today's line-up of parts, but I know in years gone by, Slot.It made bushings that were specifically for use in Carrera cars. The OD was too large to work in Slot.It cars. There may not be anything currently, but there's at least one example where a Slot.It part was sized specifically for another manufacturer. Maurizio may not do that any more, though, and I think you're right -- I think everything they're making currently is made to work with Slot.It cars (except for SCX motor adapters, so that Slot.It parts can be adapted for use with another manufacturer).

Comment

It would be great if Slotit were to offer these pinions, at my club(HVSC) we started a modified series using front motor cars , moving the motor to rear using the Scaly slim motor with the stock 9th pinion, it meshes great with Slotit gears, but a choice of pinions would open up alot more choices in ratios for our track.

These are all front motored cars modified with the Scaly motor, weve got them runnin in stock Slotit times using Slotit axles, guides, gears,wheels and bushings. The Viper is the only Scaly thats been modified so far, all others are Flys.

DE38

Comment

A big seller for Slot.it would be short hub spur gears. We've all been there right? Trying to fit tires under a car with a SW and ran out of room on the spur gear side.

Short hub spur gears, plain and simple.

Terry

Comment

Scalextric Plus has a tube of different tooth counts for the 1.5mm and 2mm shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Noe View Post
                        A big seller for Slot.it would be short hub spur gears. We've all been there right? Trying to fit tires under a car with a SW and ran out of room on the spur gear side.

Short hub spur gears, plain and simple.

Terry
                        How much space would you save by reducing the gear hub length? It still would need room for set screws.

I have filed the hub right down to the set screw threads. On more intense projects, I removed the entire wheel hub, and pinned the wheel to the gear, with .040" steel pins. THAT is narrow.

But if you use narrow-hub wheels, and you won't need a thinner gear hub. Or, use an inline! They have the rear axle bearings closer together.

Comment

As short hub or possibly hubless, I mean having the hub of the spur gear very narrow with the set screw very close to the gear itself. Kind of like the hubless wheels that have the part of the wheel machined away to allow access to the screw. Even with hubless wheels available, there is a good chance it won't provide enough clearance on every application. Short hub or hubless spur gears would be very useful for the scratch builder.

Terry

Comment

You could shorten the hub to slightly more than the width of the set screw, but I don't think you could recess the screw into the gear, because you would be missing part of a tooth. You could recess the screw into the gear if you drilled the screw hole at a slight angle to the shaft, but that might be very expensive. I think it is a better idea to secure a hubless gear to the wheel, using a 2mm screw or a pin, and possibly a plastic spacer. That was a builder's trick in the 1960's, which is how I learned about it.

Comment

I had a tough time fitting a sidewinder with ortmanns on Bwa hubless wheels inside the rear fenders of my CPR built fly Lola. I ended up recessing the hub of the Bwa wheels just enough to inset the hub of the spurgear inside the inner edge of th wheel. This could not be done as easily with slot.it hubless wheels as they are not true hubless.

Comment

Working...
                              X