X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry
    started a topic Slot.it Tire Identification

Slot.it Tire Identification

I am often asked how to identify a set of tires during our weekly races and sometimes I just point them out as we specify tires for most classes. Then there was the time I accidentally dumped my well-labeled tire box...

So, here are my observations on how to tell apart an assortment of Slot.it tires.

Rubber or Other?

If the tires are on the car and you have the facilities handy, trying to sand the tires on regular sandpaper should work. Rubber tires will leave a pile of black dust while silicones will not. If the tires are not on the car, squeeze the tire as shown and try to slide it on itself. Silicone tires are far more likely to slide while rubber tires will grab.

Front Tires:

From Left to Right:
    The first two sets came on a Group C car and a GT car respectively, but as far as I can tell, they are the same and I measured them both at 18mm X 10mm. I like them as front tires as they fit nicely in the wheel wells without any modification, but I don't believe they are available separately. Their sidewalls are very rounded and the mould-parting line is on the sidewall.
    The third set is the PT07 19X10 Zero Grips, which are slightly larger than the stock fronts, so they may rub if the mould-parting line at the edge of the tread is not removed. The sidewalls are quite flat. The fourth set the PT15 17X10 Zero Grips, described by some as "rubber bands" as they have a really low profile with very flat sidewalls.

Rear Tires -
    Stock Tires:

From Left to Right:
    The first set is what came stock on Group C/GTP cars before the PT33 20X10 C1s were standard (the second set). The third set, with the "Firestone" moulded into the sidewall possibly visible, is what came stock on the 312PB and Alfa T33/3 cars before the C1s were standard (the fourth set). The fifth set is the C1s that come on the Chaparrals and GT 40s which, so far, are the only ones that are treaded. As far as I can tell, the first, second and fourth tires have come from the same mould, although the fourth set seems to have deformed slightly. They are fine when mounted. The C1s seem to stay shinier for longer and have slight radial grooves in the tread.

F-Series Tires:

The F-Series tires are the easiest to identify. The number is printed on the sidewall and corresponds to their Shore A hardness, with the F-15 the softest. (PT26:F-15, PT27:F-22, PT28:F-30 are 20X10; PT30:F-15 & PT31:F-22 are 20X11) They fit off-centre on the rib of the wheel as can be seen by more rubber on one sidewall than the other. This particular set was run for an evening on the Modena Slot Club's NINCO track.

Silicone Tires:

All five of Slot.it's silicone tires are different, only four of which are still produced. The first three sets are all S1s and have the mould-parting line on the tread at the very edge, which takes several hours to wear off. The first two were both labelled PT03 20X12, but there are many differences. The second set was the original S1. It has a very round sidewall and is actually 20X12, while I have measured the first, with a more scale-appearing sidewall, as 19X11. The current PT03s seem to be a bit better than than the originals, but if that is due to a slightly different compound, the narrower width, or both, I do not know. The third set, PT06 19X10, looks to have been made from the same mould as the PT07 19X10 Zero Grips which are quite a bit stiffer and I haven't had much success with them. Then the S2s which have the mould-parting line on the sidewall: set four is the PT18 20.2X10.5 which came under the base with the GT cars before the C1s were standard and have a much lower profile sidewall than set five, which is the PT17 20X10 that came under the base of Group C/GTP and Classics. There were many PT18s mis-packaged as, or mixed with, PT17s, but that was resolved some time ago. The PT17 is our tire of choice. It runs well on wood or Sport track on large or small wheels, but if stretched over large wheels, will not shrink back to fit on small wheels like S1s will (unless left a long time). We have found PT18s to not work as well as PT17s on our tracks, possibly due to the lower profile. They can stretch and come off if mounted and demounted several times.

GT Tires:

From what I can tell, these three sets all came from the same mould. The first set is the original Rubber tire, the third is the PT18 that came under the base and the second is the current C1.

• Coquitlam Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by Abarth Mike View Post
    Just in case any newbies are reading. The most important thing to learn with slot car tyres is always keep them in the correct packet and be very careful not to mix them up as it is impossible to tell them apart!
    If you've ever been to Luf's track he has a wall of Parts bins filled with hundreds of tires. The bins are all perfectly organized and tagged. I had a nightmare after my first visit, where I accidentally pulled the Tire bins off the wall and sent hundreds of little round tires scattering all over the shop floor!! Thank the Lord that it was only a dream....

Leave a comment:

• zipdrive
    replied
    All that would be needed is a molded on two didgit number on one side of the tire and you could look at a chart and see what the tire compound and size was.

Leave a comment:

• zipdrive
    replied
    Last edited by zipdrive; 09-11-2014, 10:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bov
    replied
    And it's very easy to not always remember what tires are on a particular car - and diminishing eyesight doesn't help....

So - as I'm putting a car together, I write out a little fluro post-it note ( I think they're meant for highlighting passages in a text book or something) - with Car ID & tire ID. Take this tag off the car to run it, and put back on afterwards. When you change tires, just update or replace the tag...

Helps when you say to yourself - "Where did that set of F20's end up?" or "Which of these has the C1's, and which has the P6's?"

Cheers, Tony.

Leave a comment:

• Abarth Mike
    replied
    Just in case any newbies are reading. The most important thing to learn with slot car tyres is always keep them in the correct packet and be very careful not to mix them up as it is impossible to tell them apart!

Leave a comment:

• Kerry
    replied
    Cross-reference

There is this one: http://http://www.slot.it/Download/F...ossList.en.pdf

Leave a comment:

• sacesta
    replied
    I'm kind of with Kerry on this topic. I think the outer diameter, tire width and compound are useful data to have on the sidewall of the tire. I'd add to that the inner diameter of the tire (measured at the bead). This is something I don't believe I've ever seen any manufacturer refer to before.

I understand that different compounds can be stretched, more or less, to fit different sized wheels and that their outer dimensions will measure differently as a result, but I think inner diameter is good base information - ie. a tire with a 17" inner diameter will fit a 17" wheel but depending on the compound may also fit a wheel of larger diameter.

Leave a comment:

• B52RN
    replied
    Is there some sort of cross reference sheet that was mentioned...did I miss it or is it in the works?

Leave a comment:

• paulbelc
    replied
    N22 F22 which way around?

As a previous image in this thread shows, the sidewalls of N22 and F22 tires are off centered. Which way around are they meant to go?

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• mgtracer
    replied
    How bout now

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Care to update this now, Kerry? Maurizio? Bueller ... ?

May be time for this Thread to receive a ...

Leave a comment:

• csxgrafix
    replied
    Love Slot.it products but tire cross reference charts make me
    Thanks Kerry for enlightening us!!!
    No disrespect Maurizio just some customer feedback. Someone new to your products will find figuring out the method to the madness daunting...I did and owned a Hobby Shop/Indoor RC track/Slot raceway for 20 years. Really like the F and N series tire ID method of having the shore on the sidewall. We all know you are one of the most attentive and caring manufacturers in this business.

Chris
    Last edited by csxgrafix; 11-25-2012, 04:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tim neja
    replied
    If you like C-1's on routed tracks--try the F22's --more grip on our routed tracks!

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Time this one saw the light of day again, I figure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X