My Porsche 911 GT1 98 LeMans winner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Porsche 911 GT1 98 LeMans winner

I am now all but done with my white kit. The parts ended up not hard to figure where they go but a little tricky on sequence. The kit comes with two sets of headlight covers so those who don't want the small lights just in front of the mirrors can fill in the holes and use the set without those lenses.

The Pattos decals went on well and were not brittle at all. But Pattos left out one IBM logo. I went through my scrap decals and found one on the Revell 1/24 Porsche 911 GT1 sheet and althoug it is a little too small I used it (on the rear deck). The decals were pretty sharp considering the transfer method he uses.

Painting the inside of the body white worked out well and after placing the decals I sprayed the whole body with Testors Metalizer Sealer leaving a nice glossy finish. As of now I have not painted the mirrors but that is the only task remaining, other than putting it on the track.

I also included a couple of side by side shots with the Fly model for comparison

Nice job Bob.

Joe F.

Comment

Did Pattos include a PORSCHE to go across top of the windscreen?
      At LeMans the Warsteiner was replaced with PORSCHE.

Looks good.

Comment

Great looking car Bob

Now we know where you got your name, I only wish I could turn out work like that.

Would you ever consider doing an article as to how you do one of these builds? We are always looking for good content for the Magazine side of SCI : http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/in...p?categoryid=1

Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Scaleracing; 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM.
        Alan Smith
        SCI Owner.
        www.scaleracing.com
        www.slotcarillustrated.com
        www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
        www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Details, details, details

Originally posted by monquispot View Post
          Did Pattos include a PORSCHE to go across top of the windscreen?
          At LeMans the Warsteiner was replaced with PORSCHE.

Looks good.

Yes there is a blacked out visor and a white PORSCHE decal to cover the existing name. I just wanted to wait a bit til the glue was dry, not wanting to dislodge the clear part.

Comment

So how did the Pattos decals work out? It has been a while since I bought any from him and they were his then 'all new' sheets which were a lot better than his old fuzzy and dirty trash. However, they turned into a disaster as the markings rolled up into a tiny tube once they came off the backing. I have not ordered from him since.

Comment

Way to model 'er, Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by svanaken View Post
                So how did the Pattos decals work out? It has been a while since I bought any from him and they were his then 'all new' sheets which were a lot better than his old fuzzy and dirty trash. However, they turned into a disaster as the markings rolled up into a tiny tube once they came off the backing. I have not ordered from him since.
                The Pattos decals are not as sharp as most model aircraft or car kits but this set was as sharp as any I have bought from him. The clear film was thin and flexible and overall the decal placement while tedious went off without a hitch. It took me three days to apply the decals as I only set one or two at a time and then waited for them to dry before proceeding Being a long time model aircraft builder where some planes have upwards of 100 decals to place I did not have too much trouble with curling on these. If a decal curls the best thing to do is put it back into a dish of water and after a bit it will usually straighten back up. I then take a small flat sheet of plastic and slide it under the decal and carefully lift them out of the water. Then transfer the decal to the model by sliding it with a wet paint brush.

The only way to get better quality custom decals would be to take the necessary artwork to a print shop that uses a silk screen process. A lot more expensive than $14.

I am sure that when Slot.It goes ahead and releases this version the artwork will be much sharper but until then I'll have one of the very few Porsche 911GT1 98 LeMans winners running on a slot car track.
                Last edited by Modlerbob; 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Modlerbob View Post
                  If a decal curls the best thing to do is put it back into a dish of water and after a bit it will usually straighten back up.
                  I did that as it has been standard procedure with me for decades. However, it did no good at all. They stayed rolled up and were impossible to save. I ended up putting several coats of Metalizer Sealer over the remaining decals and while that helped some, it did not cure them of rolling up. To me, this tendency is substandard and even the worst Ukrainian kit decals will not do this. If his decals still curl, then I will keep Pattos off my list of decal sources as it isn't worth the hassle.

Comment

All I can say is that with this particular set of decals I encountered no problems with curling and there was plenty of opportunity to have that problem. I would still prefer to get decals from a vendor with a sharper image process but I haven't found such a source.

Comment

Later today I plan to find out whether this body has enough clearance to take an inline motor pod. It should as the Fly version has an inline configuration but it looks close. Has anyone else tried to install an inline motor pod yet?

Comment

Motor pod note.

I have verified that there is room under this body for an inline motor pod for those of you like me that prefer that set up.

Comment

Im switching mine to an inline flat 6 setup this week.

Comment

Here is another image with the correct decal at the top of the windshield.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X