new Audi suspension issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This just in

Thirty is not too bright. Discovering that I had no replacement braids, I went back to vigorous flattening of the shortened braids on the car, and that - plus the suspension fiddles - have transformed it, to the point that it runs like a rapid ape (to politically coin a phrase). Knowing that the braids were lifting the car up, I still had a difficult time believing that under power they would continue to provide front end lift. I've not had a Slot.it car that did this, so apparently a silly little milligram of force makes a huge difference when the nose is so light. I also would like to say that, from my grouchy perspective, the setting of the front suspension was not very well addressed by Slot.it - adjust the suspension? how and how much? - and were it not for this forum, and a willingness to sift through it for answers, a lot of buyers might be a bit peeved by their lousy cars. Anyway, thanks again to all for your patience and assistance. The Audi has now bested my best Porsche (whose braids do not prop up the nose) time by a second. I also am amazed by these new tires, but that's a subject for another day and another thread.

Comment

I also would like to say that, from my grouchy perspective, the setting of the front suspension was not very well addressed by Slot.it - adjust the suspension? how and how much? - and were it not for this forum, and a willingness to sift through it for answers, a lot of buyers might be a bit peeved by their lousy cars.
      Sometimes, it's a matter of knowing where to look; some of these items may be cogent. A problem with producing cars for the aftermarket (Slot.it don't make their own track, so the conditions their cars run in will inevitably vary tremendously) is that there's no simple answer to the issues that are going to come up.

Thank you for your political correctness; I'm sure you realize that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

Slot.it provides this Forum to help Customers with Set up etc.

and were it not for this forum, and a willingness to sift through it for answers, a lot of buyers might be a bit peeved by their lousy cars.
        As mentioned before Slot.it cannot supply cars set up for your track as they do not know what track you have. By you I mean anyone.

Here I am running on wood with a recessed braid so the highest position for the front axle is required. If I switch to Scalextric Sport I need to lower the front axle slightly. Switching to Carrera I would again need to lower the axle as the Carrera rails are raised slightly. With NINCO the track most Slot.it cars are raced on ( in Europe ) the front axle would need to be lowered further still as NINCO has a very raised rail.

Also to be prototypicaly correct (ish) Slot it has fitted large front tires on this car, by fitting smaller tires I got the front end to hook up better.

I would also recommend adding weight up front on the Audi, in testing here it is carrying it's weight further back than the Lola, this would cause the car to understeer ( pop out at the front ) in turns.

Hope this helps some.

Happy New Year
        Alan Smith
        SCI Owner.
        www.scaleracing.com
        www.slotcarillustrated.com
        www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
        www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Thirty,

There is a reason for places like SCI to exist.

Without a doubt, there is a lot of talent sitting here and all you need to do is ask for help.

BTW - perhaps is regional thing, but I was always under the belief it was a "raped" ape.

So, how do you like your Audi now?

Mine is supposedly going to be delivered here shortly.

Comment

Hi.
            First of all, I apologize for any trouble caused by the front axle riding height in the R18. The front wheel is not where it should be, but this can be fixed with the provided grub screws: just remove the TOP grub screws, and screw in the bottom M2 grubs so that the front axle is raised as much as possible, but still can rotate freely. It is true, probably instructions should have been more clear.

The way I recommend setting up the front axle in all Slot.it box stock cars is: as high as possible, with grub screws under the front axle to keep it in the high position, and skinny front tyres (e.g. PT15 or PT19) if available. We can't put skinny tyres on box stock cars as they would look unrealistic, and we can't raise the front axle further in box stock cars to avoid the risk of interference between body and front wheel, production assembly tolerance considered. But this can be done by the user with the provided 'L' Allen key.
            This is also true on Ninco and basically reflects the spirit of our own GT / LMP / CLASSIC / GRC box stock rules.
            When cars come assembled with the plastic front bushing, they may be removed when the tyres are replaced with skinny units, to gain some extra height.

LMPs are particularly sensitive to the braid thickness, and wheel diameter, because being so long, and with COG moved closer to the rear end, the front is very light, hence sensitive to braid placement/thickness. If you wish, one tungsten ballast in front of the motor may help.

Comment

Working...
            X