X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpio
    started a topic Problems with O2 Bootloader - re-flashing the car

Problems with O2 Bootloader - re-flashing the car

Currently running Bootloader release 1.02.

I was able to flash the B-chip with boot_carB1_3_15 no problem.
    As stated in a previous post I've had a couple of problems with that so figured I'd re-flash back to boot_carB1_2_13.

Each time I try to re-flash the car I get the following error:
    Boot request failed! Device un-reachable.
    Please repeat the procedure selecting the device again.
    (ErrorCode-BS01)

The dongle is working and shows up in device manager on COM3 & works in Chronos.
    Chronos works fine. If I remove the dongle Bootloader complains that it can't find the dongle so I'm pretty sure its not a hardware issue.

Any idea why I can't re-flash the chip?
    I've tried this with 3 cars now. 2 running stock boot_carB1_2_13 and the one running boot_carB1_3_15.

Cheers
    -s

• Scorpio
    replied
    Apologies for the late reply, what with Christmas & work it's been pretty hectic.

Regarding the distance; the crazy thing is that the cars were never more than about 1.5m away from the dongle.
    I can only assume that the Monitor & PC were creating enough RF noise that the dongle was having trouble with the bootloader.

The weird thing is I only ever experience comms issues with the bootloader. I use PCLapcounter for the RMS and never have I had a single issue with the comms between that and the dongle. Races run flawlessly*.

I don't have any more B chips on order and much as I'd like to chip the rest of my cars they have to go on hold for a bit (post Christmas slot car pool is empty).

The next time I re-flash, I'll update this post with the results as I now have the dongle suspended from a hook about 0.5m from the track and about 2m from the PC/Monitor.

* I say flawlessly, very, very very occasionally I have a glitch that seems to appear out of the blue whereby the car on ID 1 will not run to full speed, like O2/PCLapcounter thinks the car is in the pits.
    When this does occur it's usually after I have already completed a race and decide to race again with the same car, driver, team setup. (repeat previous race)

Only way I can get it back to full speed is to power off the PC & restart from cold. Reboot does not work. I usually take the cars off the track or power off the track as well.
    I've tried placing the car in the pits and driving out but that doesn't work. The race is void at that point anyway. Taking the car off the track or restarting the race has no effect either.

Now the above is a very rare occurrence. Also - only once this also happened to Slot.it's Chronos software as well when I first got my system up and running, never happened since.
    -s

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Interesting. How far away from the dongle had they been initially?

Leave a comment:

• Scorpio
    replied
    Well, it does appear to be a dongle placement issue.
    Plugged it into a long USB extension & placed nearer the track.
    Loaded straight away.
    -s

Leave a comment:

• Scorpio
    replied
    Looks like this one has come back to bite me again:

Boot request failed! Device un-reachable.
    Please repeat the procedure selecting the device again.
    (ErrorCode-BS01)

Tried to update all my cars at the weekend to boot_carB1_2_14 and only one car would update.
    Tried moving the dongle as per one of my previous posts and was able to eventually update the rest with the exception of one car - I received a new chip on Saturday that I have fitted to a Scaley McLaren P1. It came with stock firmware and no matter what I try it fails with that dreaded Errorcode.

I thought it may be interference from the Wifi gateway that I have set up for my track so turned that off - no joy.
    I turned off the main house wifi & still it won't load.
    I must have spent about 2-3 hours at this stage trying to re-flash this one car.

I'm going to try an interim update to boot_carB1_2_13 this evening and then see if I can further update to 2.14 after that.

Why slot.it is this happening?
    I now have 8 cars chipped and another 10 that I plan to do over the coming months but the thought of having to agonise through this process is filling me with dread.

Also could you guys at least ship the B chips with 2.13. The stock firmware is a PIA if like me you have CLC's as the cars will randomly change lanes.

Cheers
    -s

Leave a comment:

• Scorpio
    replied
    I just realised I posted to the wrong thread.
    I have now been able to rollback & responded in my post about the autonomous car mode.
    Apologies
    -s

Leave a comment:

• Scorpio
    replied
    Some progress - update

Thanks for taking the trouble checking this out.

I've been able to make some progress in re-flashing the non-autonomous cars.

My slot PC is a Gigabyte Brix that is attached to the back of my monitor via a VESA plate.
    The slot.it dongle was plugged directly into one of the Brix USB ports so this was also behind the monitor.
    Now as stated the dongle worked fine with Chronos & PCLapCounter but would not work with Bootloader. On a hunch I turned the monitor around so that it had direct line of site with the car and voila, Bootloader immediately detected the car.

I then had a go at updating my new chips that had stock boot_carB1_2_00 firmware.
    First attempt kept failing at different places in the process. I tried the other car also with boot_carB1_2_00 and that failed as well.

I then plugged the dongle into a short USB extension cable and was able to successfully re-flash both the stock cars.
    I can only assume that the close proximity to the monitor was enough to push the dongle CRC into excessive correction maybe due to noise.

I'll have a go at re-flashing the autonomous car this evening using the magnet technique and I'll let you know how I get on.

As an aside, I've discovered a few bugs and I'll start a fresh thread on these.
    I'll need to reproduce & document them first.

Thanks
    -s

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Originally posted by slot.it View Post
    Ah! I got it.

3.15 is the autonomous car, right? If so, the car will not enter BL mode unless its Hall sensor is placed directly on a magnet when the car is reset. This is due to the way the firmware works and is different from the 'standard' firmware.
    Easiest way: open the car, take one magnet, stick it on the Hall sensor with tape (hoping the polarity is right ), and proceed to BL. If doesn't work, reverse magnet and try again.
    Doesn't work. The car just plays the lap back immediately.
    I've not been able to get the car/chip into programming mode, either for controller pairing or firmware changing. I'll keep playing, but I've tried a variety of things already with no success.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    After testing the autonomous car firmware, I attempted to reflash to "racing" firmware. Same problem as you.
    I noticed that I didn't have the latest bootloader, so I downloaded and installed that... but I couldn't because I had a newer version of the National Instruments runtime installer (via RCS64) and the bootloader setup would not proceed past that version check. That needs to change.
    But, I uninstalled the NI runtime (all NI stuff, just to be sure), so that I could install the bootloader. That worked. So, I tried to reflash the car.
    Same problem.
    I checked the instructions again, and it noted that you need to have the car's hall sensor over the S/F line (or other) magnet under the track. So I tried that. No good... the car immediately plays back the lap after the initial delay from getting power.
    I am also unable to pair the car with a controller, which is now necessary because I upgraded the firmware in the controller I used to program the car.
    So... now I'm stuck with a chip that will do nothing but try to drive around my track.
    Whoops!
    Hopefully the fix will be software related, and soon.

Leave a comment:

• slot.it
    replied
    Ah! I got it.

3.15 is the autonomous car, right? If so, the car will not enter BL mode unless its Hall sensor is placed directly on a magnet when the car is reset. This is due to the way the firmware works and is different from the 'standard' firmware.
    Easiest way: open the car, take one magnet, stick it on the Hall sensor with tape (hoping the polarity is right ), and proceed to BL. If doesn't work, reverse magnet and try again.

Leave a comment:

• slot.it
    replied
    I'll keep an eye on this, as well. Will speak about this tomorrow in the office.

Leave a comment:

• Scorpio
    replied
    Hi Mr F

I've tried AB and B.
    I don't get the fact I was able to flash before and not now.
    Nothing has changed on the PC. It's dedicated to Bootloader, Chronos and PCLapcounter.
    Only other sw is chrome and pdf reader.

Appreciate your help.

Regards
    -s

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Make sure you're choosing the right chip type. I'll test this as well, in case I can repeat the problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X