Spirit LMP Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit LMP Cars

I'm interested in trying out one or more of the Spirit LMP cars but I'm unsure which to go for and was hoping someone here can help out.

Courage: Easily available, but does not seem to have as good a reputation as some of the older cars. Perhaps this has been fixed in newer versions, as I've seen specific advice to avoid the earliest liveries such as the red Pirelli.

Reynard: Not too hard to find on eBay, sounds like a decent runner.

Dallara: I've driven a Dallara sport owned by one of the locals and quite liked it, but they're very hard to locate.

Lola B2K: I know little about this one, but one person I talked to claims they are heavier and not as good as the newer ones.

How much difference is there between the Sport and non-Sport versions? At first I thought it was just the motor and maybe a bit of lightening but I've heard one claim that the Sport versions have a separate motor pod while the normal one does not.

Exactly what is it about the Courage that people do not seem to like? Has it been fixed in the newer liveries? Does it have the same motor as the Reynard and Dallara?

To clarify a bit, the car will be used for no-magnet racing on Ninco plastic track.

Comment

A take on Spirit

The early cars were a mabouchi style motor with no motor pod all inline style. The Lola is slower tha the Reynard. As with all sweeping statements it takes some qualifying. My experience is with no magnet racing on MDF on shorter technical tracks. The Dallara has proved too big too be competitive, other on this forum speak highly of the Dallara. My prefered car is the reynard sport. This is a boxer style motor with aluminium wheels at the rear and a lexan driver tray. Great brakes/acceleration. The sport is worth while as it has a motor pod. Do not expect Slotit qualitymotor pod. Spirit are a little behind in the ease of movement stakes. The tyres are not much cop. Generally the rear end gets swapped for Slotit as it allows variations in the wheel size and gear ratios, On a good day with urethene tyres it is a close competitor with Slotit 956/962.
      No experience with the Courage. Bodies generally are good, though mirrors and such like tend to stay on the floor!

I have chosen Spirit simply because everyman and his dog runs a Slotit. Please this is out of respect for Slotit I just want some variety when out racing.

If you are comfortable tuning a car then the Spirit Reynard has much potential. They were sold off cheap by the importer some time back on Ebay and am uncertain as to the availbility now.

Comment

Originally posted by dboeren View Post
        Courage: Easily available, but does not seem to have as good a reputation as some of the older cars. Perhaps this has been fixed in newer versions, as I've seen specific advice to avoid the earliest liveries such as the red Pirelli.
        This Courage is an excellent car, I have 2 of the red Pirelli livery car and it is fast and smooth, I also have the Advan car and its also a great runner.

Reynard: Not too hard to find on eBay, sounds like a decent runner.
        I have a couple of the Reynards, both sports and regular models. The sports models have all been nice and smooth out of the box, and the standard versions respond well with normal tuning.

Dallara: I've driven a Dallara sport owned by one of the locals and quite liked it, but they're very hard to locate.
        Yeah Good luck, I have a pair of Dallaras, both bought after a fair amount of searching. Great cars but one of them required a lot of tuning to get "right". The other was fast as hell out of the box.

Lola B2K: I know little about this one, but one person I talked to claims they are heavier and not as good as the newer ones.
        Mine runs like crap and I havent cared much about fixing it.

Exactly what is it about the Courage that people do not seem to like? Has it been fixed in the newer liveries? Does it have the same motor as the Reynard and Dallara?
        I dont know what there could be to complain about the courage- its got a strong motor, Isometric chassis and smooth running gear. The car responds well to standard tuning just like any other slot car.

Comment

very similar to Dwalker

I like modern LMP's & I started w/ Spirit several years ago w/ the Reynards. When I ran magnets, these cars were awesome, fast, low, & wide. QC was not the best on the wheels, & the tires are a bit hard. Since most of my cars end up w/ new tires for racing anyway, & sometimes wheels & gears, these issues don't bother me as much. I have 5 Reynards, 2 Dallaras, 2 Lola's, 1 Sport Reynard, & 1 Sport kit Dallara. The Sport Reynard will likely be my car for my upcoming P1 round of our Endurance series, so far the only car to match is the Avant Slot Peugeot. I ran a standard Reynard in the P2 round & it drove very well. I have won w/ a Dallara, & I find the car & liveries beautiful - I have the Lista & Playstation cars. The Lola is ugly & runs horribly, it is heavy & seems to have a high COG; but someday it's gona get a light kit because of its cyclops arrangement of lights. When the Courage was announced I had high hopes, I tried one & it was OK. I just got one this week & the tuning will begin, but the pod set-up may hold the car back. I think there needs to be more threads holding the springs in & the pod & chassis need flashing cleaned up. The chassis seems a little too lightweight as well.

I have to add that I have modern LMP's from every brand except SCX & Carrera, unless you count the SCX Ferrari 333SP (horrible) & the Carrera Panoz (much worse). I know the SCX Pro Audi is a good car, I just can't stand the Audi's. I have a very nicely tuned Sloter Zytek( Slot.it 9/24, Cartrix 27k motor) & a bunch of FLY Lola B98's(love 'em). A B98 was my second car for P2.

Comment

dboeren,

I will not mince words: Either get a Spirit Reynard or a Spirit Reynard Sport version. The XXX long can motor is fabulous and if the car uses a Mabuchi style motor, replace the standard powerplant with a Slot.It V12/3B 25k. The rear tires must be replaced with good tires ( I use BRM Shore 15 GT tires or suitable Yellow Dog Super Tires.)

While some folks have had luck with the Courage C65's, you might want to get Alan Smith's opinion (Scaleracing here on SCI.)

KIITS,
            Lawrence

PS: If you are looking for good LMP cars of unusual and modern designs, email Milan Tomasek.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I will be keeping my eye out for a Reynard Sport or Dallara Sport if one becomes available, if not I may go ahead and pick up a Reynard Standard next time I see a cheap one.

Comment

The standard Reynard was set-up thus: 10/25 Slot.it gears, Slot.it 17's, BRM shore 15 tires, Slot.it bushings & axle, Slot.it orange motor, Ninco ProRace braid. We ran 3 minute heats on a 70' 6-lane Ninco track & the car was very good. The tires didn't need to be trued as I ran a brand new set; after about 3 laps, they were trued. I ran the car @ 85 grams & we run the track @ 12v.

Comment

My Spirit stable consists of:

3 Courage C65's
                  5 2KQ's (3 sport 2 standard)
                  2 Dallara Sports, one kit and one X-Market
                  1 Lola B2K

The fastest Courage is set up with a bit of lead weight in the nose and Spirit Sport wheels with Ninco inserts ( I thought they were Ninco wheels, but they are Spirit)

The fastest Sport 2KQ is set up with a bit of lead and is otherwise stock. The fastest non-Sport 2KQ is set up with trued stock wheels and a bit of weight and SuperTires

The B2K is bone stock and dusty

The Dallaras are stock except for SuperTires and are fast as all hell.

Comment

The Dallaras and Reynards have very good reputations for very good reasons. They are just great cars especially the sport versions. The dallaras are great on big open swoopy tracks and the reynards are good anywhere but are especially good on technical layouts where their ability to change direction and stay "flat" is terrific. the xxx motor is a winner and i dont know why it brakes so well but i gather it might have something to do with the magnets used in the can to give the extra magnetic downforce. I run on wood so the downforce doesnt help me but the brakes sure do.It is available aftermarket pretty cheap to. The courage has a spine design chassis rather than a pod sitting inside the chassis. So the rear and front of the car dont move independantly from each other like in the podded dallaras and reynards. Take what you will from that. You can still find a Dallara sport if you are crazy to look hard enough. Reynard sports i think are in the domain of Epay now. Give the Lola a miss. There are lots of LMP cars available better than the Lola.
                    Last edited by roveros; 03-07-2009, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Just picked up two new Spirit Reynards. Looked forward to getting them set up and running. Upon inspection I was disappointed as one had a bent rear axle and two broken rear hubs. The other had one rear cracked hub. This was most likely the result of the securing screw holding it to the case being too tight. I put some stock wheels from my Ninco Acura Patron and a set of SCX Pro aluminum rims, axle, 26T Crown on the other and I must say these cars run very well! The lower stance gives the car more downforce with the stock magnet the will slide on the curves if given too much throttle but for the most part they are almost as fast .2-.3 seconds off some of my slot-its! More testing and tuning might give them that. Their QA is not that good but with some minor upgrades they are pretty good for what they cost! Thanks Gene

Comment

Well just picked up a couple of Spirit Courages and Dallara any tips on setting them up running mags? Thanks Gene

Comment

Electric Dreams is showing a large assortment of Spirit cars. Take a look.

Comment

To clarify a bit, the car will be used for no-magnet racing on Ninco plastic track.
                            Since you will be running on Ninco track, the Dallara and the Reynard Sport versions are among the best cars you could buy for this track. Make sure the come with the open can SXXX or the S3X motor, a motor mount, aluminum wheels all around and a lexan interior.
                            Spirit tyres, although unsuitable for most types of tracks, are the best option for Ninco or SCX track. The Spirit 303 rubber is standard on sport cars, and when trued polished and treated with tire oils (like NSR 669), outperform all types of Slot.it, MB, NSR tyres on Ninco track.
                            Basically, if you go for an inline car, the stock Sport Spirit Dallara for long tracks or the Reynard for twisty tracks, are two of your best choices. No reason to go for aftermarket parts, if they are ok out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by timkoul View Post
                              Since you will be running on Ninco track, the Dallara and the Reynard Sport versions are among the best cars you could buy for this track. Make sure the come with the open can SXXX or the S3X motor, a motor mount, aluminum wheels all around and a lexan interior.
                              Spirit tyres, although unsuitable for most types of tracks, are the best option for Ninco or SCX track. The Spirit 303 rubber is standard on sport cars, and when trued polished and treated with tire oils (like NSR 669), outperform all types of Slot.it, MB, NSR tyres on Ninco track.
                              Basically, if you go for an inline car, the stock Sport Spirit Dallara for long tracks or the Reynard for twisty tracks, are two of your best choices. No reason to go for aftermarket parts, if they are ok out of the box.
                              I really like those long can motors they have great top end speed, good torque and excellant braking. I am finding the Courage and Dallara to be quite a challenge to tune on my SCX 2 laner. Mags are weak and I may have to try some tire oils as I have trued the stock tires and they don't provide much in the way of grip. Also had to trim around the motor pod and chassis as they fit badly and would not rock properly. Debating on whether to upgrade to aluminum wheels. The chassis is pretty thin and has alot of flex in it. May have to try to stiffen one. Any other tuning tips on the Courage and Dallara? My Reynards run great with minimal tuning! Thanks Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X