Spirit SxXx Motor Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit SxXx Motor Test

I happened upon a Spirit SxXx long can in my mailbox, and immediately proceeded to the test lab (basement).

This is a long can FK-180, with open slots, which resembles a Slot.It Boxer 2. The performance turned out to be nearly the same:

RPM at no load, 12v, after a few minutes of warm up: 20,745 RPM. Factory spec is 20,640 RPM/12v, 25,380 RM/14.8v, 57g mag downforce. Motor is revving very close to spec.

Torque at 12v, based on three times the average of nine 4v readings around one rev of the armature, measured against a scale with a torque arm and push rod: 329 gcm.

Power output wattage computes to 17.1W at 12v. This is one powerful motor. The test sample was not balanced, and felt a little buzzy in my hand (but not bad). I would call it typical quality for a slot car motor.
    Last edited by Robert Livingston; 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM.

Thanks Robert. I was never sure about the torque of this motor but all seems pretty right. It seems less brutal to drive than a King evo 21.4(might be imaginary) but the specs seem similar to that motor and the slot it boxer. I used this motor in one open class and it powered a slot it Nissan to a new track record so it is definately no slouch. It is abailable as an aftermarket motor pretty cheap so I think a few will now be sold with this info. It also has really BIG brakes.
    Last edited by roveros; 03-08-2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

This motor was questioned for the GT1 class of our Endurance series, compared to the NC-6. It appears that it has more torque, which would have made it illegal. Many of us did track testing w/ both. According to its originally published specs. it was about 1/2 of the NC-6. I wanted to use it to see if I could eliminate some wheel spin entering straights. Turns out that I went back to the NC-6 & got 2nd place. There were several of these motors used in the race, I'll have to go through the tech sheets to see where they placed.

Comment

Dave K dropped by and gave me a Spirit LeMans motor to test. Rating on the wrapper is 24,000 RPM at 14.8v, which would convert to 19,459 RPM at 12v. At one point, Spirit released these specs:
        20,100 RPM/12v, 23,500 RPM/14.8v, 39g mag downforce.

This is another long can FK-180 motor like the sxXx I tested above. The motor came out of a new BMW 635. I believe Spirit considers the LeMans to be a milder motor than their earlier long cans.

In any case, the rating of 39g magnetic downforce cannot be, as it is a solid, closed can, with approximately zero downforce on a Magnet Marshal.

The tach showed 20,926 RPM/12v running no-load. Just a little faster than spec.

The torque tester showed 280 gcm at 12v. A little bit lighter than the SxXx, but not much. This motor is still a powerhouse, pumping out 14.6 watts.
        Last edited by Robert Livingston; 03-08-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I am curious about the mag downforce thing. I run on routed tracks with tinned copper or other non mag braid so the mag downforce has no effect on performance (maybe)/ My query is these motors king evo Boxer and xxx seem to have much bigger brakes than other motors of the same rpm. My understanding of brakes is that is about the length of the armature and the amount of copper there ( or the way it is wound). Not neccasarily the torque which is why a scaleauto sc04 has massive torque but very average brakes. Is it possible that these motors use a slightly different style of magnet to gain the extra downforce which has a corresponding effect on the braking properties?

Comment

The magnets are strong due to their size (large), and the slots in the case allow the magnetic field to open up, and pull toward any steel rails below. Strong magnets also act as strong brakes.

Comment

Cool very good Info. I just got a my Spirit COURAGE PIRELLI in the mail today. And was wondering what motor was under the hood.

Comment

Bigmarv, it is hard to tell what motor is in Spirit cars, if the motor is unmarked. If it is a long can it is probably in the same performance range as the SxXx and the Le Mans. Spirit is a very small manufacturer, and their production is in fits and starts. But the trend in Spain (and with Spirit) has been for serious Euro plasticars to have 20-23k/12v rated long cans, with about 300 gcm torque at stall.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I really have a great time with the Spirit 2002s, I'm still looking for a Spirit 2002 BMW nurbrugring 1970 #61 in new used or just a body shell! thanks for any help if you have one or see one.

Comment

Working...
                  X