Two sets of axle bushing holders broke am I doing somethig wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sets of axle bushing holders broke am I doing somethig wrong

I have two Spirit chassis that have broken axle bushing holders.

One 205 T16 and now my new Golf GTI. Pressed out the axles to straighten the chassis on the Golf and when I pressed the rear axle bushings back in both sides have split or broken. This happened to me on my 205 on the from bushings.

I use the same technique with Spirit chassis that I use with other makes, FLY, Avant slot, Slot.it etc. is the plastic on Spirit chassis more brittle or weaker than others? Now I am scared to use my new 205 chassis.
    Last edited by Abarth Mike; 07-16-2009, 04:07 AM.

It does sound like a manufacturing flaw, Mike. I would contact the hobby dealer and Spirit to have the problem resolved. Most of the suppliers will replace the defective part without too much of a fight. It seems odd that it would happen. I have not seen that happen personally.

Comment

Spirit chassis seem to be very fragile. Not much you can do about that, unfortunately. Good advice r.e. contacting the distributor or manufacturer.

Van

Comment

Warming the pod/chassis helps in preventing failure when servicing a plastic chassis.

Comment

on cars with setscrew crown/spur gears and if the axle you mean to use on the car is of a diameter that will fit the stock bushings then there is no need to remove those stock axle bushings. if you mean to replace a plastic press on gear perhaps using a cutting device to first remove said gear from the axle will save trouble later.
          FLY, Scalextric, NINCO.........they all are weak at the same point. I have several scalx GT40 chassis' with broken axle mounts and innumerable FLY chassis, those for models first released in the last three years or so are very fragile, NINCO anglewinders break often while their inline chassis have tended to have loose fit bushings from the get go.

Comment

WOW I broke mine too I should have used the stock bushings

Comment

Listen to uncle Daisy

he's got the good oil . . . . . (well I couldn't call you AUNT daisy could I)

Good practice is to strip the chassis down to it's birthday suit, put it on a flattening rack - metal plate ALA the Slot.it technique,

then, while the thing is still at least bath-heat, preferably a bit warmer, put the axle into the bushes, and press it all in together.

- Just before doing this is also a good time to remove any residual glue if the previous bushing had been glued in, a scrape of any soft remnants while the chassis is in the hot water ensures that there is so surplus material to distend the chassis tabs when you press in the bushes.

The plastic cracks because it is hard, rigid, inflexible - just what we want in a chassis later, but I've never broken a warm one.
              This is especially true if you are inserting the Slot.it SIPA01 which seems to be slightly larger diameter than some "stock" bushings.

Originally posted by daisyslots View Post
              Warming the pod/chassis helps in preventing failure when servicing a plastic chassis.

Comment

Well I couldn't call you AUNT daisy could I
                You certainly wouldn't do that if you met him ...

Comment

help me wet one

y'd better smuggle me off the planet before he catches up with me.........

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                  You certainly wouldn't do that if you met him ...

Comment

The Spirit Courage does have a very fragile bearing holder, mine broke even with heating up that part of the chassis. I contact Brian Young of SCX, and he sent another car out to me as SCX is now the distributor of Spirit and Sloter.

Comment

Yes Bryan has Spirit replacement parts to sell. Please contact him directly and he will be able to help. [email protected].

Comment

Reading this thread makes me wonder if I'm too easy on my plasticars, either not pushing them hard enough or not yanking out the axle bushings enough. I did manage lately to nearly wipeout an SCX motor with that infernal "snapout" routine. Sorry but that whole assembly philosophy is in the dumpster for me.

My hope for more metal chassised 1/32 scale cars lives on. I guess I'm going to have to build some soon, cause nobody makes them.
                        Last edited by Badfinger; 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Slightly off topic. Perhaps could turn to the Slot Car Corner bearing alignment kit. Works a charm.

Comment

Working...
                          X