No announcement yet.

Spirit VW Golf, feedback & tuning tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit VW Golf, feedback & tuning tips?

Hi All, I am building a Spirit VW Golf for a rally proxy, and I am just looking for any feedback that you may have on the car and of course any tuning tips!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I've got one on my bench too, and my first advice is to replace the motor with something less powerful.

Other than that I haven't got too far into tuning it yet, but generally Spirit makes very good chassis, just check that it's straight, and be prepared to replace most of the running gear.

Which proxy are you building for? The "Down Under"?

Comment

Hi speedster, yes the car will be for the down under rally proxy. The first steps of the build (once the car arrives) will be a vacform interior, lower power motor, I was thinking nc2 or nc5, but will see what's lying around. Will all be replacing pretty much all the running gear as appropriate. Gotta love a challenge!

Comment

Can any of you guys tell me the dimensions of the Spirit VW Golf. I need the outside width and length preferably in inches, but metric is ok. Thanks

Comment

Remove any grub screws you can find and throw them away as the garbage is where they belong. Replace them all with Slot Car Corner or Slot.it screws.

Comment

Originally posted by retro racer 44 View Post
            Can any of you guys tell me the dimensions of the Spirit VW Golf. I need the outside width and length preferably in inches, but metric is ok. Thanks
            I have the rally BP version without fender flares. It is 2.05" wide and 4.82" long.

Comment

Thanks Pete! That makes it too long for a SLOP car. Oh well, the search continues.

Comment

Anyone have an after market tire recommendation? I have the VW Golf Kamei GT version. Thanks!

Comment

The best tyres for this car are the ones that it sits on while on the shelf!
                  They are not a very good car!
                  I tried to drive littlehales in two proxy rounds. After that I put mine on the shelf!

Comment

Sorry for the repeat it must have been the onions!
                    Last edited by Abarth Mike; 10-06-2014, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tr6cra View Post
                      Anyone have an after market tire recommendation? I have the VW Golf Kamei GT version. Thanks!
                      Very pretty car but the rear tires are wide but small so ....

I traded mine so...

from my review

Wheels Front 15x7.5, Centre rib 4.0. Rear 15x9. Centre rib 6.0

Tires Front 18x7.5, Rear 18x9.5

I've had a 30 minute rummage around and using some 15mm alloys I have, best I can come up with if you are a gambling man is:

Rear: Ortmann Ninco 19x10 They come out at 18.6x10 and they fit the 15mm rims. Which the Ninco equiv. rubber tire does not, because the urethane tires don't stretch like rubber.

You could try NCO80518 Ninco - 4x Tires 18x10 but I don't have any to try.

Front:

I am at a loss.

EDIT: maybe Slot.it PT20 gives 17x 8 on a 14.5 wheel so...
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Best bet maybe take the existing tires off and send them to someone who molds their own tires and get them copied.

EDIT:

Just to validate my findings :-) from a well know German tire selection application.

Result of your search

The following tires fit on your selection "Spirit VW Golf (18.0 * 10,0)"

Manufacturer Type Article Dimensions Comment
                      Ortmann PU Ortmann Ninco/Slot.it u.a. (2)
                      Scour European foreign language forums just maybe....
                      Last edited by Abarth Mike; 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Mine is now fun to drive.
                        It'll never be a fast car, it's COG is very high and not large.

I swapped the motor for a Flyers that was previously fitted in a Doran DP and it's a perfect fit.

Crown and axles were good, genuine wheels trued, and glued.

Some Ninco ProRace 19x10 on the rear (i mostly race on Ninco track)
                        Some SCX low profile zero grips at the front.

But most of the work was to make the front train correct.

I fitted up & down M2 screws to set it and after a lot of testing I had good results with a quite standard configuration with front wheels just touching the track and almost 1/2mm slop to absorb track hops.

Too much grip on the rear makes the car go on the side....so hard tires are better even if a golf sliding from the rear is not reality !

This car is anyway a beauty to ride and always makes people smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X