Just found a Spirit Ferrari 512 M

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found a Spirit Ferrari 512 M

I have been looking for a while for a Ferrari 512 M to complement my Fly Ferrari 512 S Coda Lunga but most of the one's I have located on E-Bay the seller is asking well over $100 which is beyond my budget. Last week during a Google search I found an online hobby shop (NCP Hobbies) that listed just a yellow Spirit Ferrari with the part number and no picture. After verifying that the part number was for a Ferrari 512 I went ahead and ordered it for $56.95 plus $8.75 shipping. It arrived on Tuesday sealed up in it's jewel case having never been touched since it left the factory. Upon removing it I discovered that it had been sitting screwed down to the base for so long that the tires were flat spotted and needed replacement. The gear mesh was horrendous so I swapped out for a replacement Scaley gear. The car runs fairly well now so I will be getting a set of replacement rubber and see whether it will keep up with it's Fly cousin.

For anyone interested I believe they have more.

Ahhh...

I have these "cars", and they are among the worst I have ...

Bad runners (sound like little tractors) and a crappy model (way too compressed, greenhouse too tall, nose & tail too short...)

Comment

Originally posted by ModelTrainGuy View Post
      Ahhh...

I have these "cars", and they are among the worst I have ...

Bad runners (sound like little tractors) and a crappy model (way too compressed, greenhouse too tall, nose & tail too short...)
      Uh huh. They're also 2.465" across the rear deck, and the body weight can be reduced to less than 23 grams - great potential for a fast slot car, there.

Plus, that yellow one shown seems to be quite rare these days, at any price - so thanks to Bob for the heads up!

Comment

I have the red and blue one. When I got it, mine ran badly, too But after a few cheap/easy mods like a new guide and solid front axel, it goes like stink - faster than my fly classics. They can be nice cars when you get them sorted out. And oh yeah, I put a new head on the driver, too. 50s

Comment

I too have one of these (the red Ickx/Giunti Kyalami model) and quite like it. No, it is not an NSR killer, but it runs nicely and in spite of the scale flaws looks quite pretty. Only issue I have had with mine is that one of the press-on plastic wheels came loose (no surprise there!). Bit of CA glue and we were up and running again.

Enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by borninthe50s View Post
            I have the red and blue one. When I got it, mine ran badly, too But after a few cheap/easy mods like a new guide and solid front axel, it goes like stink - faster than my fly classics. They can be nice cars when you get them sorted out. And oh yeah, I put a new head on the driver, too. 50s
            Very similar here, not hard to turn this dud into a very nice car. Not denying MTG's experience with the car, though -- some could always be worse than others. But it can be a very capable car once it's been sorted out a little.

MTG, I agree about the looks somewhat. She's not the prettiest girl at the prom, for sure. I keep a couple because nobody else has made the 512M, so I think it belongs in the collection.

Comment

I had/have them all and they are excellent cars...a little "blueprinting" and they run superbly. New rear tyres are a must either silicone or erethane whichever is your choice....
              As some have said they can be very noisy , mainly due to the gears, but careful bedding in will make them much smoother and quieter. Also check the firmness of the interior and front light brackets, they sometimes require re-fixing in place, they can cause a lot of unnecessary noise.
              They are a little light at the front end, so a little lead around the guide works wonders.
              The front tyres tend to split after a little while (like Sloter) so I suggest fitting Slot.it Zero grips.....but not the awful looking low profile things!.

A standard one of these cars competed very well at one of the major UK Le Mans competitions, so well that some didn't belive it was a standard car...Without a magnet they will give a Fly Coda Lunga a very good race.

Regards

Alan

PS If anyone wants to buy one (or more) of these cars (or indeed any of my others) then just contact me.

Comment

These cars are not horrible. compared to an NSR GT40, yes, but that's not what was available when they came out. run these w/ your FLY Classics long tails, do a lot of the same tuning tricks & you will have a nice car that no-one else does. I love 'em!

Comment

I also have several of these cars. They seem to have all the problems you will find with a Fly Classic. Broken wheels, poor gear mesh or cracked pinion, terrible tires and a need to basically sort them out and replace bits. However, they are very nice runners once you do that and they have times comparable to or even faster than the Fly cars. I enjoy running mine and I am sure you will as well once things are sorted out.

Scott

Comment

If one is inclined to replace parts etc to improve performance, it's useful to know that Slot Car Corner have the perfect replacement wheel for this car.

Comment

I've had the same experience with this car: I bought it because its the only 512M in town, but it looks like some ill-informed toy designer modeled the car, based on a few basic dimensions and a few photos. As stated above, it is a fairly wretched looking impersonation of a 512M, but it does provide the basis for a competitive slot car. The basic sidewinder chassis is good, and responds well to upgrading with quality axles, bearings, gears, guide, wheels, and tires. The plastic wheels are good enough to make into inserts for race-quality aluminum wheels (the SCC five-spoke wheels shown above are only vague approximations of actual Ferrari wheels, although the running qualities of SCC wheels are superb).

Comment

Maybe now that Fly appears to be back in business and after the Carrera exclusive contract runs out they will release a 512 M. I might even buy one from Carrera were they to venture in that direction

Comment

We could use a better 512S than Fly made, and certainly a better 512M than Spirit made. Currently, it's up to Carrera, because they paid for the license.

Comment

I would LOVE to see Slotit. make a 512S.
                            A truly gorgeous car which would be the perfect foil to NSR's great looking 917

Comment

Since Carrera and Slot.It sell to different parts of the slot car crowd, I'd think Carrera might want to look into negotiating a reasonable sub-license to Slot.It, provided Slot.It is interested. I agree that a Slot.It 512S or M would be of interest, at least to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X