Spirit lives again !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirit lives again !

Nice to see that Spirit is back again. First of with some models we already know but hey who knows what they will bring out in the future.
    Look at this page for some information :
    http://www.slotcar2000.blogspot.nl/2...eeft-weer.html

I certainly hope their quality control has improved. I was seriously tired of cars with warped bodies, warped chassis, broken gears, and out of round wheels that fell off after a few laps.

Comment

Too bad about the issues. My buys were okay.

Glad they are back, regardless. Always nice, when a new, or resurrected producer is in play.

Comment

My Courage & 406 Silhouette had chassis issues, nothing criminal, though. Wheels? Show me a mfr that consistently makes round plastic wheels & I'll call you a liar. The BMW's had some bad wheels, across the board!
        I will definitely be keeping an eye on them!

Comment

Decent models hampered by super flimsy warped chassis made from weak plastic combined with improper assembly and sold at Fly prices. Slot.it plastic wheels are the bomb. NINCO does a good job on making them round too.

Comment

I always enjoyed Spirit cars, for all their flaws, and I'm happy to see them back. That said, the market only has so much room for nice looking cars that need heavy tuning just to get them to run out of the box. I hope they take a different approach this time around, or their return may be short-lived.

Comment

RE: Spirit

My favorite 1/32 car is a Spirit, so I am definately tickled to see them back!

There was some talk of them producing a 1/43 car that never happened; I will guess that's probably along shot now, but I can hope!

Comment

Hot runners

My go to entry in our club racing is a Spirit Courage. We run this class every other week on one of our 9 non mag mdf tracks. I do a little tweaking and replace rear tires/wheels with SCC parts. This car runs very well against every other manufacturers entry's. I have 3 of these cars in my stable and every one performs well. Knowing the chassis is rather fragile I ordered 6 extras to have on hand when the inevitable happens.

Comment

They were such an odd company, some of their cars (LMPs) were amazing as far as handling and the BMW 2002 was arguably the best handling little car out there once tweaked but the production execution was abysmal. Catch 22 for these little companies, keep production where they can control QC and the cost is prohibitive or send to China and lose your customers to frustration with cars that can't turn a lap. Think I'd rather have fewer customers and charge more with a shot at growing the company with production efficiencies. I would love to see how Hornby has accomplished what they have. Good luck to them anyway, I'll buy a few if they have a good US distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggy View Post
                    They were such an odd company, some of their cars (LMPs) were amazing as far as handling and the BMW 2002 was arguably the best handling little car out there once tweaked but the production execution was abysmal. Catch 22 for these little companies, keep production where they can control QC and the cost is prohibitive or send to China and lose your customers to frustration with cars that can't turn a lap. Think I'd rather have fewer customers and charge more with a shot at growing the company with production efficiencies. I would love to see how Hornby has accomplished what they have. Good luck to them anyway, I'll buy a few if they have a good US distributor.
                    China and QC are not mutually exclusive. Slot it is made in China. The body/chassis fit on the silhouette and 406 was about as good as you will ever see. The earlier LMP cars were very good but would not be quite up to the modern Slot.it and NSR offerings. Some of the cars were poor and there was just no consistency from one model to the next.

The biggest weakness was there was no consistent class or motor. Ninco sold oodles of jgtc cars simply because guys raced them against each other. How many people race scx nascars as a class? Plenty.

Every Spirit release seemed to be from a different era and a different class with a different motor and different build quality. Group 5 or Touring,GT or Nascar whatever you pick, make some running mates so people can get behind you.

No one has really done GT well.

Comment

I have 2 Spirits in my collection that regularly win races.
                      I have a Reynard sport with super tires and an NSR motor that dominates on wood.
                      I have a Peugeot silhouette sport that is also the dominant car in a non magnet class. again just a tire and motor swap with a little weight.

if they made more cars like these, then count me in !

Comment

hello, I also have a few Spirit cars:

- a Sport Dallara & a Sport Reynard, that all stock except tires, pinion and crown changed for gear change - they were not defective - are as fast as recent racing Ninco's, Scaleauto's and AvantSlot LMP.
                        Ou club LMP rules are : 23 k motor maxi; inline; no magnet; all the rest free, LMP cars between 2000 and now. We race on Ninco 6 lane 40 meters track.

I have 3 other LMP cars, a Dallara "playstation 2" that i keep for my kid, another Reynard ; these two have alloy wheels but standard no-lexan interior. They are both incredible fast. I prefer the Reynard, more compact.

The 3rd one is a Courage "Kumho", plastic wheels, these are round but not perfect ; the chassis is way complicated to set but the car is also very fast. As this one is a gift from my son, it's now a shelf queen.

My 406 Silhouette is a killer, it just needs a flat track due to very little ground clearance, and a motor pod reinforcment to avoid chatterrind.

My 936 is also a great runner, beats all the Fly's and competes whith the SlotIt with a better motor. Chassis is fragile near the motor pod.

My Golf is a fun to drive. Not a time-killer, but a pleasure on the track. Way overpowered, I replaced the LeMans motor by a NC5. I just had to set correctly the front axle.

At the contrary, my BMW 635 is awful, wheels not round, chassis warped, crown broken....but it's just a beauty in its Gitanes livery !

So, Spirit, please come back !

Comment

I have a few Spirit cars and like them very much. Only one required the wheels to be trued, the others were fine.

And I'd add that it isn't the wheels that are out of round, it's actually that they are pressed onto the axle crooked (or molded on crooked)...with any manufacturer using plastic wheels. More often than not, this can be easily corrected with a Tire Razor.
                          Last edited by bibbster; 05-24-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X