X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choc-ice
    started a topic Steering for the PCS32 chassis

Steering for the PCS32 chassis

The PCS32 chassis is very common and many builders put it under some magnificent bodyshells. Whilst the chassis is good value and very adaptable, I thought that adding steering would make the cars look much better, reflecting the impressive bodyshells. The main issue was that the chassis is used under cars of very different sizes, so as well as retaining the adjustable wheelbase, it also needed to handle different widths. And as people use different size wheels, the guide blade would need to be raised or lowered to suit.

The solution takes inspiration from my other chassis so many parts are similar, although nothing is identical.

There are 4 width options

28mm, 32mm, 36mm, 40mm. This is the width as measured across the hubs. If youíre converting an existing slot car, measure from the inside of the left wheel to the inside of the right wheel. Below you can see itís about 38mm so I used the 36mm version.
    Reduced: 78% of original size [ 1024 x 924 ] - Click to view full image

Below is what you get in the kit; plastic parts on a sprue, 4 kingpins, 2 steering pins, 2 stub axles and a 1mm pin for the guide.
    Reduced: 78% of original size [ 1024 x 700 ] - Click to view full image

There are full instructions here, but if you've got a sharp knife it's quite easy. The assembled set-up looks like this
    Reduced: 78% of original size [ 1024 x 947 ] - Click to view full image

And when fitted to the PCS32 chassis, it looks very much at home. The weight of the front end is about the same (or a little less) than a solid 3/32" front axle. The nylon parts are light but strong and the stub axles are aircraft grade aluminium.
    Reduced: 78% of original size [ 1024 x 892 ] - Click to view full image

When you fit the screw to the body post, thereís clearance for the screw and screwdriver if you turn the wheels a little.

If you love your PCS32 chassis but want a little something extra, this could be just for you!
    Reduced: 78% of original size [ 1024 x 784 ] - Click to view full image

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Very Clever!

Nice design there, reminds me of the Ackerman steering that Airfix used to put in their Grand Prix slot cars back in the 60s!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X