No announcement yet.

Hey, is this thing on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, Greg you maybe don't realize my background - Canuck now, but raised until I was almost 15 years old in the UK. I went to school on a Double Decker bus.

Dad had a Vauxhall Wyvern, a Ford Consul, two Ford Cortinas and that's just off the top of my head. This was the era of Triumph Heralds, Hillman Imps, the Rover 2000TC, etc. I still recall seeing Saab owners adding oil to the petrol tank for their stinking 2-strokes. The Rootes Group were a major force, along with BMC.

I could go on ...

ps random thought, next time you want to catch an enjoyable but significant vid check out 'Made in Dagenham', it's brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
      ps random thought, next time you want to catch an enjoyable but significant vid check out 'Made in Dagenham', it's brilliant
      Seen it... indeed a wonderful film! Sorry about the explanation... as a recovering Triumph owner (1962 TR4) I'm inclined to defend the marque and educate the unaware.

I owned my TR from 1985 through 2003. You know despite the fact that both cars shared the same corporate entity in later years Triumph and MG are a little like Ford and Chevy here. That being said, on my watch with the `4 the most frequent compliment I received was, "...Nice MG..." I of course would set them straight about which was which.

It was so bad that once I responded with "...It is NOT and MG... it's a Triumph..." The fellow the said, "...Oh... when did MG make Triumphs?" Fighting the urge to take a breaker bar to his cranium I growled, "It was the same year that Chevrolet made Fords..." I had the satisfaction of seeing him look suitably embarrassed.

Greenman62

Comment

The same years Chrysler sold Fords... Oh wait, they did.

The real question is when did Triumph Standard start futzing up MGs

Comment

Originally posted by greg nagy View Post
          The same years Chrysler sold Fords... Oh wait, they did.

The real question is when did Triumph Standard start futzing up MGs
          Never... Standard was acquired by Leyland in the early 60's. Leyland became British Leyland who sucked in Austin Healey, MG, Rover, Jaguar and others (?) in the late 60s or early 70s (experts please correct me). The rest is history... and it ain't pretty.

Greenman62

Comment

Woah, just noticed your name at the bottom of my screen - congratulations, and welcome to your golden years!

Eh?

Comment

Working...
            X