Kastner Brophy Vitesses...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kastner Brophy Vitesses...

I have a very limited run of "Kastner's Candy Box" Triumph Sport Six Trans Am car available for $27 USD plus shipping ~$7. I've made some mods and repaired the master of this rare race car which comes with a decal set.

If Interested, please PM me.

TIA,
    Greenman62

Greenman62 What chassis do you have under it? Is it just the body and decal set or are the chassis and wheels included?

Comment

Originally posted by redsn8k View Post
      Greenman62 What chassis do you have under it? Is it just the body and decal set or are the chassis and wheels included?
      The body which is slosh cast, comes with the decal sheet only. There was no point in providing windscreens as the shapes are fairly simple and easy to cut from sheet acetate or mylar.

The chassis under the above car was a Revell Clubman aluminum chassis. It was all that I could find at the time. I did another car to conform to a proxy race requiring an "all plastic chassis" I used a heavily modified MRRC Cobra chassis for that one. Modifications included shortening the length and narrowing the rear. This was done with a hobby miter box. I used plastic tubing to reinforce the chassis and to help align the pieces. Strengthening the rear section was done with carbon fiber rod. It ran quite a bit better than the previous car but I had to go with plastic wheels which didn't help. Now there are alloy wheels that will fit under the wheel arches so that issue is solved.

I'll be building a third Vitesse for myself (that was one of the reasons for this latest run). This car will be done with a brass chassis.

Another option would be the MRRC Sebring chassis, which could be adapted with some modification... length and width would be easy. You will have to be clever to get the guide under the nose. My guess would be you'd have to cut and move the guide hole back a bit over 1/4"

Once the new "Candy Box" is done, I may do another in "Mike Rocket" livery. Rockett saw the Kastner car run and was so impressed he built one for himself from Kastner's plans.

Greenman62
      Last edited by greenman62; 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I meant to ask you about wheels, other than the caterham what other wheels might work? I imagine they were originally 13" or maybe 14" on the actual cars so what alloy wheels would you suggest? Looking forward to seeing the cars.
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaslotter View Post
          I meant to ask you about wheels, other than the caterham what other wheels might work? I imagine they were originally 13" or maybe 14" on the actual cars so what alloy wheels would you suggest? Looking forward to seeing the cars.
          Chris
          Here's a link to a possible source.

http://www.rsslotracing.com/parts.htm

I'll let you know how they work out

Greenman62

Comment

Thanks it looks like they might have 13" wheels and 5 spoke inserts for that ferrari 158 as well.
            Chris

Comment

Thanks it looks like they might have 13" wheels and 5 spoke inserts for that ferrari 158 as well.
              Chris
              I think the BWA inserts I sent probably wont fit... but they come with the body.

Greenman62

Comment

Thanks for reminding me I can be dense sometimes, that's great so what wheels would the BWA inserts fit as I have 15X7,15X8,15X10 aluminum insert wheels but nothing smaller in diameter right now.
                Chris

Originally posted by greenman62 View Post
                I think the BWA inserts I sent probably wont fit... but they come with the body.

Greenman62

Comment

Thanks for reminding me I can be dense sometimes, that's great so what wheels would the BWA inserts fit as I have 15X7,15X8,15X10 aluminum insert wheels but nothing smaller in diameter right now.
                  Chris
                  The inserts were designed for the BWA 32000 and 32002 wheels... but they will fit any of the even numbered wheels like 32004, 32006, 32008. These are the ones without the inner step of the 32003, 005s and 007s.

`hope it helps.

Greenman62

Comment

Greg.
                    Got the ferrari and Vitesse, beautiful castings. Anybody thinking of getting one of the Vitesse get one, so nice to have something you don't see too often and an interesting historical racer. I think
                    I should have ordered two!!

FWIW the pcs chassis is perfect for the vitesse, the guide can be setup perfectly and it is so much narrower at the rear and front axles there is no problem with fitting any size wheel I want. I was able to get the minilite inserts I bought into 15X8 SCC insert wheels (maybe even 15X10) and they are a dead match for the rims on the "Mike Rocket" pics you posted.

Comment

Greenman62, I have been working on the actual candybox car for the last couple of months and would be very interested in your car if any are still available. The car just raced at Limerock and is on it's way to Roadamerica. I can provide detailed pictures and specs if you are interested!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlur View Post
                        Greenman62, I have been working on the actual candybox car for the last couple of months and would be very interested in your car if any are still available. The car just raced at Limerock and is on it's way to Roadamerica. I can provide detailed pictures and specs if you are interested!

Thanks BB... I already have them. Here's a shot of a completed casting:

the price for the casting and decal set is $27 plus shipping... PM me if interested

Greenman62

Comment

Hi Greg,

I still have one of your bodies from the first go around - I really should get round to making it.
                          I had a Herald many years ago to get to and from college and a friend gave me his Vitesse which was a bit worse for wear - I was going to do to it what was done to the blue and white car, but my Mom told me "not on her driveway" so it had to go...

fond memories!

Mark

Comment

Just received the vitesse casting Greenman, very nice! Time to break out the paint! I will post pix when I am finished. Anyone else interested better get one, they are crisp and the decals are superb!

Comment

I posted this to the "scratch building" thread...

... and forgot to post the shots here

It's mounted on a modified MRRC Sebring chassis.

The chassis modifications include shortening the overall length to a wheelbase of 71mm, lowering the rear axle to bring it inline with the motor and to get it low enough for the wheels and tires to clear the base of the chassis. The original guide was too far forward to clear the body so it was cut away and a B Nova guide mount was glued in a bit further back the motor is an AE slim can with a slotit 8t pinion driving a 24T crown for 3:1 ratio. The handling isn't bad... I haven't had too much time to tweak it yet. I'd like to get some decent urethane tires to see if stickier is better than the rubber tires it's shod with at this point.

Greenman62
                              not a bad
                              Last edited by greenman62; 12-09-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X