How to Align and care for your Razor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Align and care for your Razor

If your Razor is sanding one side more than the other you can fix this very easy.

Put the file down I have found an easy way to adjust your Razor so both sides hit at the same time.

First understand that cars with knurled axles have a over sized bushing in them, and other bushings have their problems with tolerance and slop.

If you are truing tires and your right tire is hitting first just loosen the shoulder bolt on the bottom of the right side, do not tighten shoulder bolts up. Only turn the bolt 1\8th turn at a time, this will
    get you back in line

A drop of oil on the motor bushings, the adjustment screw and the shoulders of the shoulder bolts will keep your Razor running good for years, DO NOT OVER DO THE OIL

thanks to everyone for your help and support

Jon the only issue I have with this is, When one of my tires hits the block first, I stop and measure the tires (cheap Harbour Freight digital caliper) and 99% of the time one of the tires is slightly bigger than the other. Once they are done truing, I remeasure to make sure they are the same size.
    Dave

Comment

You are correct Dave, but if every tire is hitting on one side this is an easy way to fix it.

Your fix that you posted was right on the button, but some guys are a little scared to take the file to it. I stumbled on to this a few weeks ago and have been setting up all Razors this way and I have had no complaints on wheels hitting the sanding block one side or the other.

I want to thank you again for all the help Dave if you ever get down this way beer is on me, then we will do some laps on the monster

Comment

Originally posted by scrjon View Post
        If your Razor is sanding one side more than the other you can fix this very easy.

Put the file down I have found an easy way to adjust your Razor so both sides hit at the same time.

First understand that cars with knurled axles have a over sized bushing in them, and other bushings have their problems with tolerance and slop.

If you are truing tires and your right tire is hitting first just loosen the shoulder bolt on the bottom of the right side, do not tighten shoulder bolts up. Only turn the bolt 1\8th turn at a time, this will
        get you back in line

A drop of oil on the motor bushings, the adjustment screw and the shoulders of the shoulder bolts will keep your Razor running good for years, DO NOT OVER DO THE OIL

thanks to everyone for your help and support
        A picture would be worth a thousand words. Do you have a picture with the bolt that we need to loosen clearly marked?

Comment

I plan on taking pictures, just have had no time, but if you look at the bottom of your Razor you will see the shoulder bolts, some call them stripper bolts
          thx Jon

Comment

Ok. Got it. Thanks.

Comment

Ok, had a extended tire truing session last night (horrible Spirit Porsches) and played with the bolts. Very simple thing to do, but I had a concern about the finished tire size differences. Answer is NONE. I fitted in the axle assembly and did a visual look at the gaps below each tire, had the lowest one just touch the bar and then brought the "high" one down even and off we went. At the end I had .79" on each one. Now old habits die hard, I still flipped the axle set around and touched the tires back down to assured that they would be even, but it didn't show any difference, both touch at the same time and showed a full sanding pattern across the tire.

Next up will be a wheel buddy session on some Carrera Cheetah wheels to bring them down for some 1410 Super Tires. I expect the same results.

Playing with the bolts can be done much easier (and less permanet) than filing the metal "arms"

Buster

Comment

Hi Jon. Long time user of a fantastic product. It's funny I have always used the tire razor but always had the issue of the right side always hitting first.
                so I would do one tire at a time. I had no idea about the the shoulder bolts under the razor to loosen it up a bit. I got my razor in 2013 I bought mine from slot car corner and been doing one tire at a time since then. Today I saw this post about alignment and maintenance I just about dropped dead. I ran and got my next set of tires to true. I put it on and adjusted. It's like a brand new RAZOR! Am in love again. I might just sit here and just true tires all day long. I can't believe I have not ran past this post before!
                if you ever have a chance you should make a you tube video. Thanks again! Great product,
                Vision34

Comment

Working...
                X