X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot.It 'Quattro'

What is a one-way bearing?

Comment

It's basically a bearing that rotates freely in one direction but locks when rotated in the other direction. They look more like needle roller bearings than ball bearings.

The idea of using them on the front axle is so that the front wheels drive only when the rear wheels are spinning. The amount of spin allowed is determined by the ratio of the drive from rear to front and on the tire diameters.

This is a neat design, copied pretty much from 1/8 scale RC cars.

Comment

Originally posted by gascarnut View Post
        It's basically a bearing that rotates freely in one direction but locks when rotated in the other direction. They look more like needle roller bearings than ball bearings.

The idea of using them on the front axle is so that the front wheels drive only when the rear wheels are spinning. The amount of spin allowed is determined by the ratio of the drive from rear to front and on the tire diameters.

This is a neat design, copied pretty much from 1/8 scale RC cars.
        Completely agree Dennis, reminds me of the PB Apha?... or was that the first suspension car? Was the SG maybe the first AWD? Anyway 4WD completely changed RC racing!

I posted on this forum many months ago that I believe the key to a successful AWD slot car is a one-way bearing on the front axle. I was actually thinking that it could be done by having the bearing in the front drive pulley, but by putting a bearing in each wheel the front wheels will also have a build in differential...so a more complicated and I assume costly route, but ultimately better.

Now the fun can begin, by adjusting the rear to front ratio and playing with the front wheel size...just not sure how the car will behave with the front wheels in full contact with the track...and what about a soft compound on the front and a harder compound tyre on the rear!

This is the part of the hobby that a technical engineering nerd like me love!

Congratulations Slot.It!

PS: I have seen the video of Smokeio's Audi smoking WCR's track in a RAA proxy, without the benefit of one-way bearings...but IMHO, only by eliminating the friction and drag from the one set of wheels, will we find out if AWD is truly a viable option for slot cars.

Comment

Working...
        X