Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rules of the Road in the Buy/Sell/Trade.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of the Road in the Buy/Sell/Trade.

As the popularity of this section of SCI grows I need to remind posters here of a few Rules.

The main idea of the Buy/Sell/Trade is to allow private individuals the ability to reach SCI Readers to offer single items for sale or trade that are no longer required by them.

It is not, and has never been allowed for Non Advertising Dealers to post for sale items on SCI.

To advertise on SCI, if you are a legitimate Slot Car Dealer with an actual Store Front, you need to be a paid up Advertiser. You can then notify SCI Readers of items you have for sale in this Section.

Very rarely I have had Dealers supply Customers with inventory to circumvent these rules, a private party supplied by a Non Advertising Store selling on SCI. This is not acceptable and if we find this happening Membership of the parties will be revoked.

SCI can only survive with the Support of Advertisers and they and the individual Sellers are the only ones allowed to post in this Section.

If you are a Store that wants to advertise please contact me, we are always looking for more Stores to support SCI.

See you at the Races.
    Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

wanted

I am looking to buy used Scalextric 'sport' track in bulk. Can anyone tell me where I can post this?
    Thanks
    Joe
    [email protected]

Comment

Post it in the buy/sell marketplace.
      You're in the right forum here. Title your thread 'Looking To Buy.......etc.'

There's a thread here that shows what needs doing: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=82415

Comment

Bumps and 1st page hogging

With the new Panjo system in place which makes it very difficult to do multiple item listings, it seems like it would help to have some sort of guideline in place around the use of "bumping" to push for-sale items back to the first page. At a minimum, it would be great if folks wouldn't bump more than once without a price reduction. It's a waste of time to go back and check on a car I might be interested in but above my cost threshold only to find that there is no price reduction. And it feels just a little rude to be bumping other newer posts off the first page if there isn't anything new about a listing, pricing or otherwise.

This is not a gripe with Panjo - works fine for me as a buyer.

Anyone else feel the same way?

jpg

Comment

JPG, I share your frustration.

As a buyer, I too find constant bumping by sellers with no change to the goods or price on offer is a real time waster. As a seller, I find it rude and selfish behaviour when other sellers bury my new listing (or pricing change) under a flurry of "bumped" older listings that offer nothing new at all.

Since the advent of Panjo on SCI's Marketplace, several recent (or low post-count) SCI members have appeared with dozens of listings that for whatever reason don't seem to sell. Yet they are constantly being bumped back onto the front page and pushing newer listings backwards. Admittedly, part of the problem is that Panjo functions best when a listing is limited to one object (or group of objects) for sale at one price. Therefore, if one wants to sell off 20 cars at different prices, one is pretty much forced into creating 20 listings, thereby hogging half of the top page of the buy/sell market thread. The "good old days" where someone could sell off hundreds of cars in one thread are long gone and sorely missed.

Given the new reality, I respectfully suggest that some new rules be implemented for the market. Like: No "bumping" posts permitted by the listing member unless there is a substantive change made to the description or price of the object on offer, or, if the post is a response to a question that has been asked by a potential buyer.

What it comes down to is if nobody is buying the car you are selling, it's likely because nobody wants it or you are asking too much for it. So, either lower your price, withdraw your offer, or let it fade away into the back pages to die a natural death. Whatever, but please don't keep bumping it alive like some Undead Zombie that repeatedly comes back to haunt us all.

Old23

Comment

No problems here with how things work.

Things were getting a little crazy prior to Panjo and Alan addressed that the best way he could but otherwise things have been working just fine the way they are.

Feel free to bump away and I will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
              Feel free to bump away and I will do the same.
              And that's what's flooding my search results when I use the "Todays posts" or "New posts" search option. In my result set I get so many "Buy/Sell/Trade" treads that I can hardly find the information I am looking for and/or find interesting. I'm not interested in "Buy/Sell/Trade" at all, most sellers won't ship to Europe and I buy my cars from my local resellers.

My suggestion is to change these standard search functions in such way that the "Buy/Sell/Trade" treads don't show up in de results anymore. Instead of 4 pages of treads one will only get 1 or 2 with exactly the treads that could be interesting.

If someone want to buy he can go the the "Buy/Sell/Trade" section and browse the treads or use the advanced search function if he is looking for something specific to buy.

I guess that when this will be implemented there's little need to bump because it won't show in the search results making the bump unnecessary.

This forum is about the hobby and not about selling and buying stuff
              Last edited by LowlandsRider; 02-15-2015, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I have three band new cars, about 20 used cars, motors and parts. I am getting out of the slot cart market since the track closed. How can I advertise to get these sold,? Thanks, Ed.

Comment

Alan, I am seeing a lot of non slot car products offered for sale. Are die-casts, magazines, and other racing items okay to post?

Comment

Originally posted by LowlandsRider View Post
                    This forum is about the hobby and not about selling and buying stuff

I would disagree with this, for me the buying and selling of slot car related stuff is a big part of the hobby. Finding and landing that one car you just have to have and have been looking for is not only satisfying but can also be fun.

I will agree with one thing that has been brought up here. The repeated bumping of product when there is no change in the price seems kind of silly. I'm good with bumping your ad once or twice to make sure that you are getting maximum coverage for it with the intended audience. But after the second bump if it doesn't move it should be obvious that it isn't going to sell at the price you've listed it at and it's time to either drop the price or let the ad fade to the bottom of the heap. Just bumping the same ads over and over again with out doing something to improve the chance of a sale just seems obnoxious.

Gord

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                      I will agree with one thing that has been brought up here. The repeated bumping of product when there is no change in the price seems kind of silly.
                      Or price changes of only 50 cents or a dollar. When a car is initially listed at $100.00, does anyone really think we don't see what's going on when the selling price drops to $99, $98, $97, etc?

Comment

I get what your saying and it makes sense to me that if a car won't sell at $100 and the seller really is committed to making a sale then it would be reasonable to drop the price in $5 increments until the car sells or the price gets down to a point where the seller decides that selling the car at such a low price just isn't worth it but that's just my POV.

What others do here is kind of left open as long as they follow the rules of the buy/sell forum as laid out by Alan and I am sure that Alan would prefer to keep it that way as long as it doesn't become too much of a headache for him to manage (this is the reason we have Panjo).

It comes down to common sense and the desire to show others that use this forum some respect so that we can all enjoy this awesome resource and get from it what we need.

Comment

I have often wondered why you do not have a min. post qualification before being able to post in the buy/sell section. I see, with much regret, where a fellow member got a two month banishment for a regrettable post to a first or second time poster about the price of a car and the thought it might be less than honorable. On most boards the moderators want the buyer or seller to become a contributing member of the community before being able to sell. I think that it is a tendency to look closer at the first or second time poster attempting to sell because they do not have that comfort level with the seller.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayberryman View Post
                            I have often wondered why you do not have a min. post qualification before being able to post in the buy/sell section. I see, with much regret, where a fellow member got a two month banishment for a regrettable post to a first or second time poster about the price of a car and the thought it might be less than honorable. On most boards the moderators want the buyer or seller to become a contributing member of the community before being able to sell. I think that it is a tendency to look closer at the first or second time poster attempting to sell because they do not have that comfort level with the seller.
                            I'll try to answer this; Alan would have the most appropriate and insightful viewpoint, but he is pretty busy with stuff these days.

SCI has developed over time, particularly since Alan took it over from Ken McClellan a dozen years back. And quite some time ago, Alan created the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum as a means for SCI Members to transact with each other here, rather than via eBay or similar sites.

Eventually, the actions of a few miscreants (including slot car thieves - seriously), it became necessary to employ Panjo for the purposes of buyer protection, along with other steps to verify new members seeking to buy/sell/trade/like that on SCI. Please look here for more complete information.

As I see it, Panjo basically makes it unnecessary for SCI to limit the ability to sell slot stuff here to established members (who could turn out to be dishonest anyway - not an imaginary scenario by any means), as it uses the PayPal protections. So the whole idea of requiring established SCI Membership before trading here becomes redundant.

But also, and this is important, it greatly increases the potential for members to get their hands on sought-after stuff. The vendor could be some the relative/descendant/heir of some mega slot car owner, or someone who discovered a NIB Scalextric set from the 60's up in the attic, etc. Much better that SCI Members get a chance at this stuff than the general eBay public - particularly if there's some particular item they have been wishing to add to their collection that finally becomes available. Many of our members check the Buy Sell Marketplace daily - or even more frequently - just to see what's on offer, even if they rarely post here.

Now, listen up please. I'm not quite certain what you're inferring with your comment about 'less than honourable' behaviour. But obviously, you're referring to this current thread, and the action I took with respect to Jesla's reply.

First off, a person can offer a product at whatever price they wish to ask for it, and it is up to the would-be purchaser to determine whether or not the value is there for them. This has nothing to do with honour, and everything to do with a mutually acceptable transaction. None of your business, none of mine, none of Jesla's, I hope you've got that.

Second off, I've previously cautioned Jesla about that exact same behaviour on his part, as it's clearly against the SCI Rules. Furthermore, trashing a new member's Buy/Sell Marketplace Thread (or pretty much any new member's thread) is not going to help SCI grow this hobby in North America.

Do you know why this SCI thing exists? Well, it's to grow the slot car hobby in North America. If you, or Jesla, or anyone, doesn't like that then you can cancel your SCI Membership and ask for a refund of your fees. Oh yeah, that's right; membership is free, provided that the member agrees to, and abides by, the rules.

I will be absolutely candid, here. Moderate fellow that I am - or at least, seek to be - there are some individuals who just rub me the wrong way. And you can bet your bottom dollar that there are others reading this who feel exactly the same way about me; I know I'm a lovely person, even if they don't realize it yet. That was kind of a joke, OK? Bottom line is, Jesla has been contributing to SCI for a long time, in a very positive way; he's particularly polite about acknowledging satisfactory reception of things he's purchased, and I really respect that.

But you had better believe that when I use my mighty moderator powers, I do my utmost to take any personal prejudice into account; animosity is the poorest excuse for punitive action. And I'm a human being, I can make errors just like anybody. But given the circumstances, I think the two-month timeout I imposed on Jesla for his repeat offense was appropriate, and cautionary to others who might be inclined to similarly trash other new member's posts, particularly in the Buy Sell Marketplace. If the dude was to send me an email along the lines of 'Yeah I get it, sorry about that' I would unbanishment him tomorrow. We want this thing to work for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                              I'll try to answer this; Alan would have the most appropriate and insightful viewpoint, but he is pretty busy with stuff these days.

SCI has developed over time, particularly since Alan took it over from Ken McClellan a dozen years back. And quite some time ago, Alan created the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum as a means for SCI Members to transact with each other here, rather than via eBay or similar sites.

Eventually, the actions of a few miscreants (including slot car thieves - seriously), it became necessary to employ Panjo for the purposes of buyer protection, along with other steps to verify new members seeking to buy/sell/trade/like that on SCI. Please look here for more complete information.

As I see it, Panjo basically makes it unnecessary for SCI to limit the ability to sell slot stuff here to established members (who could turn out to be dishonest anyway - not an imaginary scenario by any means), as it uses the PayPal protections. So the whole idea of requiring established SCI Membership before trading here becomes redundant.

But also, and this is important, it greatly increases the potential for members to get their hands on sought-after stuff. The vendor could be some the relative/descendant/heir of some mega slot car owner, or someone who discovered a NIB Scalextric set from the 60's up in the attic, etc. Much better that SCI Members get a chance at this stuff than the general eBay public - particularly if there's some particular item they have been wishing to add to their collection that finally becomes available. Many of our members check the Buy Sell Marketplace daily - or even more frequently - just to see what's on offer, even if they rarely post here.

Now, listen up please. I'm not quite certain what you're inferring with your comment about 'less than honourable' behaviour. But obviously, you're referring to this current thread, and the action I took with respect to Jesla's reply.

First off, a person can offer a product at whatever price they wish to ask for it, and it is up to the would-be purchaser to determine whether or not the value is there for them. This has nothing to do with honour, and everything to do with a mutually acceptable transaction. None of your business, none of mine, none of Jesla's, I hope you've got that.

Second off, I've previously cautioned Jesla about that exact same behaviour on his part, as it's clearly against the SCI Rules. Furthermore, trashing a new member's Buy/Sell Marketplace Thread (or pretty much any new member's thread) is not going to help SCI grow this hobby in North America.

Do you know why this SCI thing exists? Well, it's to grow the slot car hobby in North America. If you, or Jesla, or anyone, doesn't like that then you can cancel your SCI Membership and ask for a refund of your fees. Oh yeah, that's right; membership is free, provided that the member agrees to, and abides by, the rules.

I will be absolutely candid, here. Moderate fellow that I am - or at least, seek to be - there are some individuals who just rub me the wrong way. And you can bet your bottom dollar that there are others reading this who feel exactly the same way about me; I know I'm a lovely person, even if they don't realize it yet. That was kind of a joke, OK? Bottom line is, Jesla has been contributing to SCI for a long time, in a very positive way; he's particularly polite about acknowledging satisfactory reception of things he's purchased, and I really respect that.

But you had better believe that when I use my mighty moderator powers, I do my utmost to take any personal prejudice into account; animosity is the poorest excuse for punitive action. And I'm a human being, I can make errors just like anybody. But given the circumstances, I think the two-month timeout I imposed on Jesla for his repeat offense was appropriate, and cautionary to others who might be inclined to similarly trash other new member's posts, particularly in the Buy Sell Marketplace. If the dude was to send me an email along the lines of 'Yeah I get it, sorry about that' I would unbanishment him tomorrow. We want this thing to work for everyone.

Sir, with all due respect not only did I get it when you stated that you hoped that "I got that". Not only did I get it I also got the tenor of the answer. My only interest was in bringing out the fact that most boards such as this do require a set number of post before accepting a for sale post.
                              The less that honorable behavior was only directed in the action that caused the suspension, not the act of enforcing rules.
                              My statement was that if the seller had more of a history perhaps the unfortunate term used that caused the suspension might not have happened.
                              I would like to think that this reply has cleared the air, at least on my post, if not we are all big boys.

Comment

Working...
                              X