Vintage Slot Car set by Republic Tool & Manufacturing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Slot Car set by Republic Tool & Manufacturing

I have a Plymouth Super Stock Racing set made by Republic Tool & Manufacturing Corp. Called Shutdown. It's from the 60's. The 2 cars are dated 1969.

I am not a collector nor do I have other sets so I am interested in selling it but I don't know what it's worth. Anyone know? I know you have to know the condition but I didn't want to go into detail unless someone was interested.

I looked it up on ebay with no luck, then I came upon this site. I thought I would post what I had to people who I know will appreciate the set. This is the first time for me on this site so I hope I'm not breaking any rules trying to sell this on here. Please let me know.

No rules broken. There are some dudes on this forum that DIG the old cars. I am interested too since I have seen a ton of ancient cars in germany when stationed there. #1 thing for a sale is to post pictures of it. Most people are a little nervous without a picture.

You can post them in a picture hosting site, or you can put them in you gallery (rules to size of course). Take some pictures of the top angled, bottom with the copper leads and frame. Some people actully reomve the body to show the entire detail, but at least a picture will help you get rid of these quickly.

Good luck to you!

Rob

Comment

Thanks! I'll get to the pics ASAP.

Comment

There's a buy/sell/trade forum on this site.

"Shutdown" is collectible, mostly for the art. There should be a blue car and a red car, with a big decal set. It isn't a lot of fun for adults to play with.

I'm not an expert on it, but I wouldn't hesitate to list it on eBay and take what I get. If it's in good condition with good decals, I'd set the reserve at $50 the first time, just to avoid giving it away. There's a recently ended "Shutdown" listing on eBay that didn't get any bids at $150 minimum with a complete set and a boneyard. An excellent DX Getaway Chase Game set with plenty of duplicate pieces sold for $100, and that's a similar sort of product.

Use "Plymouth" keywords in your ebay ad like Road Runner, GTX, and Hemi. I'd also use similar products in the ad as key words ("Plastic slot track, similar to Motorific, DX Getaway Chase Game, Dodge Scat City, Sears Four on the Floor.)

People on this site mostly are interested in the slot cars that are powered by electric rails, so we'd buy this mostly as a display piece.
        Last edited by thatguy01; 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I'm an expert on those sets. A really nice set will bring $500-$700 on Ebay. If you want a better idea on your exact set either post the info here or send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thatguy01 View Post
            There's a buy/sell/trade forum on this site.

"Shutdown" is collectible, mostly for the art. There should be a blue car and a red car, with a big decal set. It isn't a lot of fun for adults to play with.....

.........People on this site mostly are interested in the slot cars that are powered by electric rails, so we'd buy this mostly as a display piece.
            You are seriously confused as to how this set operates. Scat City, Shutdown, and Sears four-On-The-Floor ARE electric powered slot car sets. These are not like the Motorific-style sets Republic also made. And I beg to differ about how fun it is. Show me another slot car set where the controller is a four-speed shifter (plus reverse). I'd argue that these sets are MORE fun than traditional mainstream slot car sets.

Comment

i wanna race too...

just the demo vid on YouTube showing a clean set got me drooling. and they didn't even run the thing.

I wanna know how the gear shift works? Did it supply more volts or do gears actually change? Reverse doesn't sound like a winning formula for the cars, but how else you gonna get them back on the line.

Wonder what condition this set is in. pics please, before it gets sold in the yard sale. quick someone get his address

Comment

The shifter controls different sections of track. First gear powers the first three feet of track, second gear powers the next three feet, etc.... There's no speed control, it's on or off. So if you are early or late shifting you lose power and the car coasts until you power up the section of track the car is on. The last piece of track in each "gear" has a shift point sticker so you know when to shift.
                Last edited by JeffAARy; 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I had one as a kid and it works just as Jeff says. It was fun then and would be fun now to use between heats at club races.

Comment

A Scat city set just came up on ebay if anyone wants to see pics. Pretty cool!

Comment

Hi,

I'm trying to find someone that would be interested in restoring a Shut down set for me. If you know of anyone and or your interested please drop me a line.

Comment

to SCI!

Be aware that this is a pretty old Thread, but you never know who may be suscribed to it.

Comment

Come-on Jeff - show yours...PLEASE!

I've been wanting one for years since playing with Jeff's "upgraded" version, but can't and won't pay the money they are going for.

Talk to Jeff, do some research, and don't give that set away for peanuts!

Comment

Working...
                          X