Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd vote for a 2% fee that goes to SCI for upkeep. That is a very small amount to pay for the opportunity to sell to the slot car community.

I'd even go as far as also paying a yearly or lifetime fee to be able to sell. Say $10/year, $60/lifetime.

And I'll agree, the Panjo take is a bit excessive.

Comment

• I would gladly pay a small fee to this forum to use the buy/sell. Collecting per sale would be difficult, but a $10/year fee to be able to buy and sell here seems fine to me.

Harry

Comment

• I would actually start using the Buy and Sell forum of this was implemented and also gladly pay a yearly fee and/or a small amount per sale. It would be great to know that the money would be going toward this site and keeping this hobby going!
        Last edited by Josh S; 01-19-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geezer View Post
          Wet, your contributions as a moderator here at SCI are well known and very much appreciated but I think you have made a mistake. I can't believe that you meant this response to be inflammatory in any way but I can tell you that from my point of view it certainly came across that way. Telling members of SCI to put up or find somewhere else to go when it comes to using the Buy and Sell section of SCI and Panjo is not really very wise in my opinion. In a time when it seems to be a struggle to create new interest in slotting and the slot car industry is feeling the pinch, having a less than tolerant view of people’s opinions and ideas here is not going to help things get better. I would think the goal here is to make people feel welcome, not to ostracize them for saying what they think.
          Geezer, thanks for your thoughtful post there, I appreciate your sincerity.

I certainly didn't mean to be inflammatory. I was simply trying to be candid; and I absolutely don't mean to ostracize anybody for saying what they think!

It's simply that, having read Alan's posts on Panjo, and discussed it with him both via PM and on the phone, I'm pretty darned certain that this is where it's at and that's what I was trying to get across; maybe I could have phrased it better. But I am 1000% convinced that Panjo is the only choice for members wanting to transact with each other via SCI and that this isn't going to change, sorry if that's not the news people want to hear but it's the fact of the matter to the best of my knowledge and belief.

A couple of thoughts (at least) come to mind, after reviewing the thread and doing a little research. So far as I can discern, this thread got sort of resurrected as a result of Uglyduck's Post #261 bumping it up.

NOTE TO PANJO - have you been able to get this fixed, his last visible Panjo Thread was more than two weeks ago?

So then Post #259 - from May of last year - becomes apparent on the page once again and it appears that the 11% Panjo Fee wasn't made obvious properly when introduced so somebody seems to have dropped the ball, there. Being as Porsche Racer wasn't apparently aware of it even though he recently posted a car for sale, I find myself wondering how apparent it is to folks using Panjo that this charge will apply.

And of course, that brings up the question of whether 11% is 'appropriate', if that's the term. So I took a look at eBay as a point of reference, and I see that their fee is slightly less at 10% although their fee structure is kinda complex and seems to allow for further charges to be added according to conditions.

I personally have a large box of new and used cars that I would love to pass on to other enthusiasts here but once I factor in the shipping, PayPal fees and now Panjo’s fees I net less than $30 on a $50 sale. For all the trouble, it takes to list, package and ship a car it hardly seems worth the effort, I might as well just let them rot, and I know for fact that I am not alone in this.
          I hear you, clearly. I'm in a not dissimilar position; whenever I do cull the herd I'll be selling in lots, and shipping via US Mail from Point Roberts, just to try and mitigate the financial pain.

Sellers definitely need to factor these things in, when determining their asking prices.

I wish I could be more upbeat and encouraging about the situation, so let's see what I can come up with in my inimitable moderate fashion.

In the case of Panjo I also think that it needs to go. I believe that it has single handedly killed the Buy and Sell portion of SCI, first with its quirky functions and limitations and now with its 10% plus seller fees.
          You're certainly not the first to voice concerns about those 'quirky functions and limitations' etc; and it seems clear that all is not yet sorted. But I do think that Panjo have tried hard for the most part to be responsive to concerns voiced by members (we'll have to see how they deal with Uglyduck's issue of course). Whether their fees are exorbitant will be determined by the marketplace, I guess. I wouldn't describe 11% as a bargain, myself, to be honest.

But on the flip side, I'm seeing 6000 new Panjo Threads launched since its introduction in May 2014, 1500 of them between 1/20/16 and 1/19/17, that's an average of more than 4 per day, presently; so the Buy Sell Marketplace is far from 'killed'. Plus which, it's my perception that sellers are receiving their asking price with much less discussion (if any) as buyers who want what they're offering for the price they're asking simply click on 'Buy it Now'. Much less of this cryptic 'PM Sent' type reply as somebody tries to grab a place at the head of the line, then tries to bargain with the seller privately whilst others feel they should wait.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. Hope it helps some.
          Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
            But on the flip side, I'm seeing 6000 new Panjo Threads launched since its introduction in May 2014, 1500 of them between 1/20/16 and 1/19/17, that's an average of more than 4 per day, presently; so the Buy Sell Marketplace is far from 'killed'. Plus which, it's my perception that sellers are receiving their asking price with much less discussion (if any) as buyers who want what they're offering for the price they're asking simply click on 'Buy it Now'. Much less of this cryptic 'PM Sent' type reply as somebody tries to grab a place at the head of the line, then tries to bargain with the seller privately whilst others feel they should wait.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. Hope it helps some.

Just curious Wet, if you can pull stats like this, what the number of new sale threads would have been for a similar period of time prior to Panjo being introduced?

Comment

• Originally posted by Geezer View Post
              Just curious Wet, if you can pull stats like this, what the number of new sale threads would have been for a similar period of time prior to Panjo being introduced?
              What I did - that anybody can do if they want to bother with the research - was to laboriously count Threads launched during the period by going through the back pages.

I'll save you some research (this is from memory, and approximate). In the one-year period preceding the introduction on Panjo, there were around 2,200 I think. So no argument that there has been a reduction - but Buy Sell has certainly not been killed. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
              X