This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eleven years later.

I have owned SCI for eleven years now, having helped Ken after he got started.

I am not a massive Corporation, I am 2 people Scott at the Retail Store and Warehouse and myself.
    Scott is a paid employee, and works hard to get answers and cars and part to people both for the Retail and the Wholesale side of Scaleracing LLC.
    I do not pay myself, there is not enough generated to do that from all the Business sides of Scaleracing LLC, I have run this Business for 12 years and invested money in the business not taken money out.

As I said at the beginning of this discussion about the Buy/Sell Marketplace it is still (after 11 years) free for private members.
    Will that change, possibly but not right now.
    I am not trying to make money directly out of SCI Members, rather hoping they will support Retail Stores mine and others out there.

So Scaleracing LLC is not a big Corporation far from it. We are a Retailer and Wholesaler in the Industry. We are trying to grow this hobby not cash in on a quick sale, has not been the way I have ever operated. Also not asking SCI members to help pay the rent, no contribution cap out, only support from Manufacturers and Dealers, and then sales from Scaleracing LLC.

Crazy probably. Rich no way .

See you at the Races, next one at my Store this weekend.

Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Re: Wtb

Alan, is it still possible for people to post for items they are looking for? Or would that be a different area now?

Comment

an issue that I have seen is shipping prices. is there anyway to charge shipping differently for lower 48 and others? (Canada, Australia, etc.)

Comment

Should be able to state Free Shipping to 48 States for others message from order for shipping quote
          Last edited by Scaleracing; 05-14-2014, 07:20 PM.
          Alan Smith
          SCI Owner.
          www.scaleracing.com
          www.slotcarillustrated.com
          www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
          www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Originally posted by Scaleracing View Post
            I have owned SCI for eleven years now, having helped Ken after he got started.

I am not a massive Corporation, I am 2 people Scott at the Retail Store and Warehouse and myself.
            Scott is a paid employee, and works hard to get answers and cars and part to people both for the Retail and the Wholesale side of Scaleracing LLC.
            I do not pay myself, there is not enough generated to do that from all the Business sides of Scaleracing LLC, I have run this Business for 12 years and invested money in the business not taken money out.

As I said at the beginning of this discussion about the Buy/Sell Marketplace it is still (after 11 years) free for private members.
            Will that change, possibly but not right now.
            I am not trying to make money directly out of SCI Members, rather hoping they will support Retail Stores mine and others out there.

So Scaleracing LLC is not a big Corporation far from it. We are a Retailer and Wholesaler in the Industry. We are trying to grow this hobby not cash in on a quick sale, has not been the way I have ever operated. Also not asking SCI members to help pay the rent, no contribution cap out, only support from Manufacturers and Dealers, and then sales from Scaleracing LLC.

Crazy probably. Rich no way .

See you at the Races, next one at my Store this weekend.

I have a question for you, as I completely understand the desire to have retailers supported with the purchase of new car sales.

Where are these new cars coming from that are being sold here in the buy/sell?

I am going to assume that the manufacturers have a wholesale distribution channel that sees these items being sold to retail operators (brick and mortar or not).

So how is it that people can get ahold of these things and sell them here to make money at a price point less than you can as a retailer?

I commend you on running a brick and mortar around this hobby. It's a great hobby, and it would be better if more people were into it overall.

edit: And I do understand if I'm probing at stuff you don't want to answer... and that's fine. I'm curious more than anything.

Comment

"So how is it that people can get ahold of these things and sell them here to make money....."

Are you sure? Sure those people are making money? Sure they made $43.00, that's just a theoretical number by the way, but how much did it cost them to make that $43.00?

Comment

Originally posted by monquispot View Post
                "So how is it that people can get ahold of these things and sell them here to make money....."

Are you sure? Sure those people are making money? Sure they made $43.00, that's just a theoretical number by the way, but how much did it cost them to make that $43.00?
                I'm not sure, that is why I am asking. Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem here.

If any slot car sales are seen as undermining the retail side of the business, that is something I can understand.

If new slot car sales from users hiding a corporate interest are undermining the retail side of the business, that is something I can understand.

Maybe it is both, maybe it is only one.

I am only interested because I work in business analytics and always enjoy conversation about business strategy.
                Last edited by Bandito; 05-14-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

It's possible that there are some people out there who used to have an online store, or even a brick and mortar store, for slot car stuff. They got accounts with distributors so that they get the cars at wholesale prices, and then sell at retail prices to support their business and family. Sometimes their businesses fail, but they keep their accounts with distributors so that they can get cheap cars for their hobby, to sell to their friends and club members... or to sell online on web sites such as SCI. Without the overhead from a business, they can sell at MUCH lower prices, near wholesale, and still make a few bucks off each sale. The problem, of course, is that they're undercutting the prices of businesses that DO still have overhead costs to deal with.

Most people naturally assume that a seller on a forum is a hobbyist/collector that decided he no longer wanted to possess the car being sold, not that the person has taken advantage of the system to get rock bottom prices and sell at a profit (for them) that undercuts other businesses. The hard part is knowing the difference... which is often impossible.

I don't know that anyone on SCI does this, of course, just speculating on how it's possible for someone to consistently sell newly released cars at very low prices. All I know is that if I had a brand new car, still in the shrinkwrap, that I'd try to get as close to what I paid for it as possible. That'll never happen, though, 'cus I open and run every car I get... 'cus it's a slot car, not a die cast model.

Comment

Manufacturer makes product available for X - doesn't care as long as he gets X or has an end MSRP which he doesn't really enforce.
                    Distributor pays X then sells to retailer for X + 40%
                    Retailer pays X + 40 and sells to consumer for (X=40%) +40%

Being an analyst I assume you get the basics of Mark up and Margin?

Now the assumption is the retailer has a store front to sell to the consumer so he needs a reasonable (40%) margin, the same as the distributor needs a margin for importing warehousing and exchange fluctuations. Which I assume you know already?

In this hobby it appears that some manufacturers/distributors are not to concerned who they sell too and are supporting e-stores etc. While it is great for people already in the hobby to buy products at less than MSRP it does not create an environment for growth, how many new hobbies have you got into from surfing the net? The e-stores are cheaper to run than B&M so can run on thinner margins. Remember a lot of e-stores are "hobbies" in them selves and not necessarily the
                    primary business.

There is a sentiment that it is better to sell 30 and make $30 profit than to sell 10 and make $30. I think manufacturers would rather see a healthy MSRP but aren't willing to take the necessary action to support it?

The low prices are great for those of us in the hobby but it makes it harder for B&M stores to justify carrying brands that they can only make a dollar or two on, that's when the manufacturers will feel it. Unfortunately by then it may be too late?

Comment

Different shipping costs to different locations

hksk25: "an issue that I have seen is shipping prices. is there anyway to charge shipping differently for lower 48 and others? (Canada, Australia, etc.)"

scaleracing: "Should be able to state Free Shipping to 48 States for others message from order for shipping quote"

You can go in and 'edit' the post.

Originally: On Sale For: $44.99 + $0 Shipping

I went in and edited, now it reads:
                      On Sale For: $44.99 + $0 Shipping to U.S. or to Canada. Shipping at cost minus $4.00 to the rest of the world, just ask and I will reply.

Granted if people don't read the whole thing then they will miss some important parts.....even the people who believe the 'researchers' who tell them in writing that they don't need to read all the words to get the meaning of.....wait a minute.....what am I writing about?
                      Last edited by Scaleracing; 05-14-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slotbutton View Post
                        Manufacturer makes product available for X - doesn't care as long as he gets X or has an end MSRP which he doesn't really enforce.
                        Distributor pays X then sells to retailer for X + 40%
                        Retailer pays X + 40 and sells to consumer for (X=40%) +40%

Being an analyst I assume you get the basics of Mark up and Margin?

Now the assumption is the retailer has a store front to sell to the consumer so he needs a reasonable (40%) margin, the same as the distributor needs a margin for importing warehousing and exchange fluctuations. Which I assume you know already?

In this hobby it appears that some manufacturers/distributors are not to concerned who they sell too and are supporting e-stores etc. While it is great for people already in the hobby to buy products at less than MSRP it does not create an environment for growth, how many new hobbies have you got into from surfing the net? The e-stores are cheaper to run than B&M so can run on thinner margins. Remember a lot of e-stores are "hobbies" in them selves and not necessarily the
                        primary business.

There is a sentiment that it is better to sell 30 and make $30 profit than to sell 10 and make $30. I think manufacturers would rather see a healthy MSRP but aren't willing to take the necessary action to support it?

The low prices are great for those of us in the hobby but it makes it harder for B&M stores to justify carrying brands that they can only make a dollar or two on, that's when the manufacturers will feel it. Unfortunately by then it may be too late?
                        Thank you... this is what I was trying to get at. If "users" on here are posting NIB cars that they have obtained for no reason but to buy and flog them... then the problem as much is the manufacturer / distributor channel that's failing to support it's retailers. If some of those retailers are online shops only, then quite frankly it's my opinion that the distributor / manufacturer has some responsibility to ensure those folks aren't trying to commercially sell those items on other peoples turf.

If I sold my widgets to joe who has an online store, and paul who has an online and a brick and mortar store, both of those people would be made well aware that if I found them trying to sell their widgets on the others website, their distribution agreement would be ran through the shredder instantly.

The next question is.. does someone who has a brick and mortar store on top of online sales have special treatment over someone who is online only? That's something I have ideas about... but I don't have one answer of yes or no. I do know that I as a consumer don't really care. There is no slot car brick and mortar near me... and I don't expect one anytime soon, or ever.

There may be people who have no retail business period, but have wholesale accounts with manufacturers/distributors... and quite honestly, the companies dealing with people that way are just undermining the business operators they list as retailers.

Perhaps some of it is this way because of the relative obscurity of slot cars globally. It's definitely interesting.... but if I owned a store and a website and was putting effort time and money into developing brands and generating sales... I'd be pretty ****ed off if the same companies I'm representing are selling their stuff willy nilly to other folks. You can't do business with partners like that.

That's like xyz slot manufacturer having a distribution network and retailers... but then maintaining a corporate website and selling the products direct to consumer for less. It's the same thing, but somehow involving other parties makes the laundry smell fresher.

I cant' wait to be in the area and check out Alan's retail store. I think it's pretty cool that I could walk into a shop, see some wares.. and drop a few hundred bucks on this and that, and have it to use the same day. I'd pay more for that.

But I digress. Now I'm off to the buy/sell to buy a used car from someone. I've gone from 0 to about 20 cars... and 75% of them were bought through this forum, or directly from advertisers on this forum. It's the best source I have found for good used slotcars.
                        Last edited by Bandito; 05-15-2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I cant' wait to be in the area and check out Alan's retail store. I think it's pretty cool that I could walk into a shop, see some wares.. and drop a few hundred bucks on this and that, and have it to use the same day. I'd pay more for that.
                          Well there's a race this weekend and it's a relatively quick trip from your neck of the woods, see you Saturday

Comment

Not to mention the ability to carpool with locals. ;-)

Comment

Sales

Originally posted by Bandito View Post
                              I'm not sure, that is why I am asking. Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem here.

If any slot car sales are seen as undermining the retail side of the business, that is something I can understand.

If new slot car sales from users hiding a corporate interest are undermining the retail side of the business, that is something I can understand.

Maybe it is both, maybe it is only one.

I am only interested because I work in business analytics and always enjoy conversation about business strategy.
                              Someone mentioned NIB/NOS Cars; Speaking for myself, a very large percentage of the cars I have and sell fall into this catagory, not because I am a business, but because I bought almost every new release I could and collected for about 15 years! There is just no way I could REALLY run'em all! especially since for a time I was buying two, one to run and one to be a shelf queen.

Now, ~10 years down the line if I sell'em for $40 or $50, when they cost that much new I am NOT making money! Clearly I am losing money, but still happy to almost break even most of the time and if I occasionaly make a buck or two that offset's the times I lost my rear end!

Am I (or others) erroding Alan's sales?? Well, Maybe, but not Certainly, because 90% of the cars I have are not in production anymore, haven't been for many years and he is unlikely to have most of them for sale.

NOW, it could be that if people did not buy the cars here they could buy cars from Alan, BUT it could also be said that people coming here to look for cars draw traffic to the site which in turn draws people to Alan's store! Which is a good thing!

Last edited by masmojo; 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masmojo View Post
                                Someone mentioned NIB/NOS Cars; Speaking for myself, a very large percentage of the cars I have and sell fall into this catagory, not because I am a business, but because I bought almost every new release I could and collected for about 15 years! There is just no way I could REALLY run'em all! especially since for a time I was buying two, one to run and one to be a shelf queen.

Now, ~10 years down the line if I sell'em for $40 or $50, when they cost that much new I am NOT making money! Clearly I am losing money, but still happy to almost break even most of the time and if I occasionaly make a buck or two that offset's the times I lost my rear end!

Am I (or others) erroding Alan's sales?? Well, Maybe, but not Certainly, because 90% of the cars I have are not in production anymore, haven't been for many years and he is unlikely to have most of them for sale.

NOW, it could be that if people did not buy the cars here they could buy cars from Alan, BUT it could also be said that people coming here to look for cars draw traffic to the site which in turn draws people to Alan's store! Which is a good thing!

A large part of the draw for me to this site IS the steady stream of cars that come up in the buy/sell. If this is true for many people, then it's a significant contributor factor to the value of the site. How he translates that value into revenue, or not, is entirely up to him.

This site represents very good value to the holder thanks to the content of it's users. I don't think the problem is someone like yourself... in that regard, it's just as easy to buy from a supporting vendor here as it is his retail online operation. In that respect, he's competing with himself anyways... because the brand new cars I've bought have been from one of his paying vendors, electric dreams... who is a direct competitor.

It's all quite interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X