This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has drifted off of the topic about the Buy/Sell

We seem to be into a new discussion not directly about the Buy/Sell.

Still to clarify a point NOS ( New Old Stock ) is not and never would or should be an issue to any Retail Store, it is old, no longer in production so not in the current supply chain.

New Stock, being sold at or very close to wholesale certainly is not a good thing long term for the Industry and therefore the Hobby long term.

A certain brand held in high regard by many including me has seen it's Street Retail price drop to almost cost, and while this was happening it's sales drop to under half of sales historically.

I know I do not stock them any more, why well why tie up hard earned money in Inventory that has almost no Retail value, so no way to pay the bills.

If this strategy had works and sales had doubled then at least for the Manufacturer and Distributor there was some gain so arguably growth. But that has not happened at all.
    I use to stock 100 of each new release of this brand now I stock and sell less than 6.

Again if import numbers had grown you could say OK the supply chain has changed, adapt, move on or die. But it has not worked sales have dropped Stores have stopped carrying any volume of stock as not worth the investment and the brand is shrinking.

In Europe you could say OK the Market is saturated and this is where we are. But not in North America, almost no one knows about this Hobby here. So this Brand and others are missing being able to grow as their one big potential market for growth is shrinking, and to be sure it is.

Does it need to, is this a cycle, not as far as I am concerned, and to that point I will expand my Business ( with more borrowed money, I have not suddenly got rich ) and take the Hobby back out to the General Public.

This Hobby can grow here, it is a great product, with huge potential, but it needs exposure to new users not given away to the few that already know.

See you at the Races, soon at the Scaleracing Center thanks to those that support me, and you know who you are.

Thank you !!!!!!!
    Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Originally posted by Scaleracing View Post
      A certain brand held in high regard by many including me has seen it's Street Retail price drop to almost cost, and while this was happening it's sales drop to under half of sales historically.

I know I do not stock them any more, why well why tie up hard earned money in Inventory that has almost no Retail value, so no way to pay the bills.

If this strategy had works and sales had doubled then at least for the Manufacturer and Distributor there was some gain so arguably growth. But that has not happened at all.
      I use to stock 100 of each new release of this brand now I stock and sell less than 6.

Again if import numbers had grown you could say OK the supply chain has changed, adapt, move on or die. But it has not worked sales have dropped Stores have stopped carrying any volume of stock as not worth the investment and the brand is shrinking.
      Very interesting... thanks for for the insight.

If I was in charge of that brand, I'd be very concerned with what's happening to it.... because if what you say is true, it's a ship that's on the wrong course. The only remote way that strategy would work is if the plan was to increase sales by reduce retail prices... and the MANUFACTURER taking the margin reduction. Sounds like they are just happy to get rid of the stuff at cost, and wherever how however it sells is someone elses problem.
      Last edited by Bandito; 05-15-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

"""This Hobby can grow here, it is a great product, with huge potential, but it needs exposure to new users not given away to the few that already know."""""

The problem with this hobby is it doesn't have enough exposure to main stream USA.

I remember going into many retailers as a kid seeing slot cars hanging on pegs like hot wheels at many retail stores.

The toy stores use to carry model rail road and slot car sets and accessories also.

Not any longer.

Without that in your face exposure this hobby goes unnoticed unless someone happens upon it by seeing it on the web or at a stop at a hobbyshop.

""""In Europe you could say OK the Market is saturated and this is where we are. But not in North America, almost no one knows about this Hobby here.""""

I agree and disagree.

There is a huge untapped market here in the states for this hobby to grow unfortunately most of the true hobbyists in slots currently are probably saturated with more cars in their collections than they would need in any life time me included.

Part of the problem in the United States is back in the slot days of the '60's you had a huge 1:1 car movement with all the racing going on with the factory teams competing with slot car racing following suit driving the interest in kids and adults. You just don't have that sort of movement now in the 1:1 racing like back in its hey day therefore you don't get the manufacturers promoting the racing in slots like you did back then.

I would gladly go back to the days of being able to buy a Ho AFX set off the store shelf again.

We need this type of exposure in the big box stores today like in the past for the hobby to flourish.

Just my 2 cents....
        Last edited by BRP32; 05-15-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masmojo View Post
          Alan, is it still possible for people to post for items they are looking for? Or would that be a different area now?
          I also would like an answer to this. I just tried to post a WTB and it wanted all the selling info which I'm not doing.
          Dave

Comment

Already been done here by Members.

List as if you are selling but put Want to Buy in the Title.

You can enter a $0 amount so no one will buy your request.
            Then Members can respond and list an item for a secure transaction.

Hope this helps, thank you for asking.
            Alan Smith
            SCI Owner.
            www.scaleracing.com
            www.slotcarillustrated.com
            www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
            www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
              I also would like an answer to this. I just tried to post a WTB and it wanted all the selling info which I'm not doing.
              Dave
              Thanks for sharing this. WTB is on our product roadmap. We plan to add better WTB tools to the marketplace soon.

Comment

Thx
                Dave

Comment

Thank's Alan for doing something to try to help those of us who have been ripped-off by those who have made bad deals. I think that given time, the new format will work. Change is often more difficult to accept, hard to teach an old dog a new trick, but eventually he learns. It is sad that things came to this, but the ones that frequently caused problems can only blame themselves, and they know who they are!!!!! John

Comment

Originally posted by 54to69Rfine View Post
                    Thank's Alan for doing something to try to help those of us who have been ripped-off by those who have made bad deals.
                    I haven't done a panjo transaction yet... but how does changing a marketplace interface protect the buyer from being ripped-off? Is there some sort of rip off insurance?

Comment

Alan -
                      One of the nice features I finally figured out how to use is the "feedback" function - which if you click on the original listing of the item you purchased it takes you to the transaction page for that item. Then in the tab "More Options" - there is the "leave feedback" option which when that is clicked - it advances to "Leave Feedback for Sellers" page. This then shows the item you purchased and has provisions for one to five stars and an associated description.
                      I'm not sure if there is the same type of screen to rate "buyers" as I haven't sold anything yet - but thought that I would mention this feature for those that have purchased items as it does populate the rating that shows next to the seller's name on the listings on the Panjo pages, which may be handy to review when people are looking at possibly purchasing something.
                      Last edited by TuscoTodd; 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandito View Post
                        I haven't done a panjo transaction yet... but how does changing a marketplace interface protect the buyer from being ripped-off? Is there some sort of rip off insurance?
                        I think the idea is all transactions should now be protected via PayPal and take the burden off Alan and SCI. That's been my interpretation anyway. I just completed my first transaction using the Panjo handshake and it was easy from a buyer perspective.

Comment

how does changing a marketplace interface protect the buyer from being ripped-off? Is there some sort of rip off insurance?
                          New features that protect buyers and sellers.

1) When a seller creates a listing, the seller connects his PayPal account. This is so the seller can get paid right away when his item sells. This step also serves to verify the identity of the seller and to confirm that the seller has a valid PayPal account in good standing. This step also helps protect sellers from false claims by buyers and chargebacks.

2) When a buyer purchases an item, the buyer is guaranteed. If an eligible item that youíve purchased at Panjo doesnít arrive or doesnít match the sellerís description, we will look into it. If it's discovered that something is wrong, our purchase protection will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item plus shipping costs. In order to qualify for a full reimbursement, you must report any issues within 45 days of purchase and your account must be in good standing. If the seller has accurately described an item, but youíre just not happy with it, you are mostly likely not covered. Panjo partners with PayPal to provide this comprehensive buyer protection and reimbursement policy.

Comment

Originally posted by panjo View Post
                            New features that protect buyers and sellers.

1) When a seller creates a listing, the seller connects his PayPal account. This is so the seller can get paid right away when his item sells. This step also serves to verify the identity of the seller and to confirm that the seller has a valid PayPal account in good standing. This step also helps protect sellers from false claims by buyers and chargebacks.

2) When a buyer purchases an item, the buyer is guaranteed. If an eligible item that youíve purchased at Panjo doesnít arrive or doesnít match the sellerís description, we will look into it. If it's discovered that something is wrong, our purchase protection will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item plus shipping costs. In order to qualify for a full reimbursement, you must report any issues within 45 days of purchase and your account must be in good standing. If the seller has accurately described an item, but youíre just not happy with it, you are mostly likely not covered. Panjo partners with PayPal to provide this comprehensive buyer protection and reimbursement policy.
                            Now we are talking. Sounds good.

Comment

That's just what PayPal has always given

Now we are talking. Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hundo View Post
                                That's just what PayPal has always given
                                Not if sent as a 'Gift', so far as I know. And with Panjo, PayPal seems to be mandatory, so this shifts the problems that may occur between buyers and sellers away from SCI Mods/Admins, thus hopefully eliminating time-consuming PM's and/or phone conversations between dissatisfied buyers/sellers.

Which is as it should be, because our BST Forum was created to give SCI Members the opportunity to trade cars and other slot stuff between each other in a friendly venue; not to generate income for SCI (because it doesn't) or to allow non-advertising dealers to move product via the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X