X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaleracing
    started a topic New Marketplace on SCI.

New Marketplace on SCI.

There is now a new Buy/Sell Marketplace on SCI.

The current Buy/Sell/Trade will continue till May 31st and will then be locked. No sales will be transferred please start using the new Forum for items you wish to sell.

After several serious problems with sales on SCI last year, and a lot of work we have to do behind the scene to make sure trades are fair and only private sellers, we have decided to re-vamp the Buy/Sell section of SCI.
    In working with the Panjo application we can better server those buying from individuals on the SCI Forum.

For now this will remain a free to SCI Members feature.

Payment works through Paypal so there is a paypal fee.
    If you try to circumvent the Paypal feature you have no security on the transaction. I cannot keep getting involved with buyers and sellers to try to make sure all deals are fair, and legitimate.

The purpose of the Buy/Sell section on SCI is for private Member to sell items they no longer need. It is not a place where we will tolerate Dealers, even covertly, selling goods on the Site for free.

If Dealers wish to sell on SCI they need to become an Advertiser on SCI, and we only take advertising from legitimate Retail Stores with real locations and contact information such as phone, address email.

Any question fire away. Hopefully this make SCI a better place to Buy/Sell those cars and parts you no longer need.
    This will now allow you to leave feedback on sellers, and also with Paypal protection you are way more secure when buying on SCI.

1-253-255-1807
    Last edited by Scaleracing; 05-11-2014, 11:10 AM.

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by Geezer View Post
    Just curious Wet, if you can pull stats like this, what the number of new sale threads would have been for a similar period of time prior to Panjo being introduced?
    What I did - that anybody can do if they want to bother with the research - was to laboriously count Threads launched during the period by going through the back pages.

I'll save you some research (this is from memory, and approximate). In the one-year period preceding the introduction on Panjo, there were around 2,200 I think. So no argument that there has been a reduction - but Buy Sell has certainly not been killed. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Geezer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
    But on the flip side, I'm seeing 6000 new Panjo Threads launched since its introduction in May 2014, 1500 of them between 1/20/16 and 1/19/17, that's an average of more than 4 per day, presently; so the Buy Sell Marketplace is far from 'killed'. Plus which, it's my perception that sellers are receiving their asking price with much less discussion (if any) as buyers who want what they're offering for the price they're asking simply click on 'Buy it Now'. Much less of this cryptic 'PM Sent' type reply as somebody tries to grab a place at the head of the line, then tries to bargain with the seller privately whilst others feel they should wait.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. Hope it helps some.

Just curious Wet, if you can pull stats like this, what the number of new sale threads would have been for a similar period of time prior to Panjo being introduced?

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by Geezer View Post
    Wet, your contributions as a moderator here at SCI are well known and very much appreciated but I think you have made a mistake. I can't believe that you meant this response to be inflammatory in any way but I can tell you that from my point of view it certainly came across that way. Telling members of SCI to put up or find somewhere else to go when it comes to using the Buy and Sell section of SCI and Panjo is not really very wise in my opinion. In a time when it seems to be a struggle to create new interest in slotting and the slot car industry is feeling the pinch, having a less than tolerant view of people’s opinions and ideas here is not going to help things get better. I would think the goal here is to make people feel welcome, not to ostracize them for saying what they think.
    Geezer, thanks for your thoughtful post there, I appreciate your sincerity.

I certainly didn't mean to be inflammatory. I was simply trying to be candid; and I absolutely don't mean to ostracize anybody for saying what they think!

It's simply that, having read Alan's posts on Panjo, and discussed it with him both via PM and on the phone, I'm pretty darned certain that this is where it's at and that's what I was trying to get across; maybe I could have phrased it better. But I am 1000% convinced that Panjo is the only choice for members wanting to transact with each other via SCI and that this isn't going to change, sorry if that's not the news people want to hear but it's the fact of the matter to the best of my knowledge and belief.

A couple of thoughts (at least) come to mind, after reviewing the thread and doing a little research. So far as I can discern, this thread got sort of resurrected as a result of Uglyduck's Post #261 bumping it up.

NOTE TO PANJO - have you been able to get this fixed, his last visible Panjo Thread was more than two weeks ago?

So then Post #259 - from May of last year - becomes apparent on the page once again and it appears that the 11% Panjo Fee wasn't made obvious properly when introduced so somebody seems to have dropped the ball, there. Being as Porsche Racer wasn't apparently aware of it even though he recently posted a car for sale, I find myself wondering how apparent it is to folks using Panjo that this charge will apply.

And of course, that brings up the question of whether 11% is 'appropriate', if that's the term. So I took a look at eBay as a point of reference, and I see that their fee is slightly less at 10% although their fee structure is kinda complex and seems to allow for further charges to be added according to conditions.

I personally have a large box of new and used cars that I would love to pass on to other enthusiasts here but once I factor in the shipping, PayPal fees and now Panjo’s fees I net less than $30 on a $50 sale. For all the trouble, it takes to list, package and ship a car it hardly seems worth the effort, I might as well just let them rot, and I know for fact that I am not alone in this.
    I hear you, clearly. I'm in a not dissimilar position; whenever I do cull the herd I'll be selling in lots, and shipping via US Mail from Point Roberts, just to try and mitigate the financial pain.

Sellers definitely need to factor these things in, when determining their asking prices.

I wish I could be more upbeat and encouraging about the situation, so let's see what I can come up with in my inimitable moderate fashion.

In the case of Panjo I also think that it needs to go. I believe that it has single handedly killed the Buy and Sell portion of SCI, first with its quirky functions and limitations and now with its 10% plus seller fees.
    You're certainly not the first to voice concerns about those 'quirky functions and limitations' etc; and it seems clear that all is not yet sorted. But I do think that Panjo have tried hard for the most part to be responsive to concerns voiced by members (we'll have to see how they deal with Uglyduck's issue of course). Whether their fees are exorbitant will be determined by the marketplace, I guess. I wouldn't describe 11% as a bargain, myself, to be honest.

But on the flip side, I'm seeing 6000 new Panjo Threads launched since its introduction in May 2014, 1500 of them between 1/20/16 and 1/19/17, that's an average of more than 4 per day, presently; so the Buy Sell Marketplace is far from 'killed'. Plus which, it's my perception that sellers are receiving their asking price with much less discussion (if any) as buyers who want what they're offering for the price they're asking simply click on 'Buy it Now'. Much less of this cryptic 'PM Sent' type reply as somebody tries to grab a place at the head of the line, then tries to bargain with the seller privately whilst others feel they should wait.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. Hope it helps some.
    Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Josh S
    replied
    I would actually start using the Buy and Sell forum of this was implemented and also gladly pay a yearly fee and/or a small amount per sale. It would be great to know that the money would be going toward this site and keeping this hobby going!
    Last edited by Josh S; 01-19-2017, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hksk25
    replied
    I would gladly pay a small fee to this forum to use the buy/sell. Collecting per sale would be difficult, but a $10/year fee to be able to buy and sell here seems fine to me.

Harry

Leave a comment:

• bibbster
    replied
    I'd vote for a 2% fee that goes to SCI for upkeep. That is a very small amount to pay for the opportunity to sell to the slot car community.

I'd even go as far as also paying a yearly or lifetime fee to be able to sell. Say $10/year, $60/lifetime.

And I'll agree, the Panjo take is a bit excessive.

Leave a comment:

• Uglyduck213
    replied
    Originally posted by panjo View Post
    If you've already connected your Panjo account to your SCI account, you'll have the option to select the forum category where you'd like your thread to be generated on SCI.

You can also reference this FAQ article.
    My Panjo account is linked to SCI. I set the "Marketplace" to SCI and the category to "Slot Car Track and Accessories" for another listing not two weeks ago without issue. I used the same settings 4 days ago for these last listings and they don't appear in the SCI Buy/Sell forum.

The sub categories seem to be unnecessary for the SCI forum since there's only one forum for buying/selling anyway. It appears to only serve the Panjo marketplace.
    Last edited by Uglyduck213; 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kidvoltage
    replied
    I don't really sell much but I did find and implement the Panjo solution. There weren't any others available that would work with this forum software.

If they have enacted a 10% fee they have probably overstepped their bounds in my opinion. i will discuss this with Alan but I'm guessing we'll have to move to a pay to play mode where sellers will have to be registered.

Let's hear thoughts on how that could progress and be acceptable.

My personal choice is I'd like to see seller's donate one dollar per sale to Alan and the site. That's not much but it would be something.

You have the floor.

Leave a comment:

• hksk25
    replied
    Agree with above statement wholeheartedly. The fees to sell here are CRAZY. This site denounces eBay as a hobby shop killer, than pushes members to sell there??

Harry

Leave a comment:

• DaFisch
    replied
    Agree with all of that ^^^

Leave a comment:

• Geezer
    replied
    Hi, if you (or anybody) don't like the Panjo conditions, then obviously you'll have to find another venue to buy and sell slot cars 'n stuff; there are many choices such as eBay etc.

The 'old way' of buying and selling on SCI won't be returning, that's all there is to it; forgive me if this seems blunt, but that is how it is and complaining isn't going to change anything.

Ok, so I have set on this for a while and I feel I need to respond, I donít know how the rest of you feel about this post but it just sits wrong with me.

Wet, your contributions as a moderator here at SCI are well known and very much appreciated but I think you have made a mistake. I can't believe that you meant this response to be inflammatory in any way but I can tell you that from my point of view it certainly came across that way. Telling members of SCI to put up or find somewhere else to go when it comes to using the Buy and Sell section of SCI and Panjo is not really very wise in my opinion. In a time when it seems to be a struggle to create new interest in slotting and the slot car industry is feeling the pinch, having a less than tolerant view of peopleís opinions and ideas here is not going to help things get better. I would think the goal here is to make people feel welcome, not to ostracize them for saying what they think.

In the case of Panjo I also think that it needs to go. I believe that it has single handedly killed the Buy and Sell portion of SCI, first with its quirky functions and limitations and now with its 10% plus seller fees. I personally have a large box of new and used cars that I would love to pass on to other enthusiasts here but once I factor in the shipping, PayPal fees and now Panjoís fees I net less than $30 on a $50 sale. For all the trouble, it takes to list, package and ship a car it hardly seems worth the effort, I might as well just let them rot, and I know for fact that I am not alone in this.

I know that Alan hasnít got the time and he probably doesnít have the desire to monitor and police the Buy and Sell section the way it used to be but there has got to be a better way. I am also aware that the Buy and Sell section is not the main focus of SCI but I believe it should be recognized that it plays an important role on the site. That being said there has to be an alternative way for members buying and selling their stuff here than what Panjo has to offer.

Perhaps having members pay a onetime fee (like Slot Forum) to be a premium member of SCI which would, among other things allow them to sell and buy slot car related stuff freely like they used to. The fee could help fund the continued operation of SCI and members would have the satisfaction of knowing that the money they put into an SCI membership would help support the hobby and not just line some business operatorís pockets who has no interest in it. This new funded buy and sell section could be moderated by a few volunteer members, that as slot car enthusiasts, have a more vested interest in seeing SCI and slotting in general thrive. There would need to be a strict set of rule created around user conduct which would need to be strictly enforced. Things like outing a buyer or seller on the site when a deal goes sour could not be tolerated but details like these could be hammered out. This is just one suggestion, I am sure there are others out there and I welcome discussion on this and any criticisms you may have.

I feel strongly that if we as members came to Alan with a solid plan to fix the Buy and Sell section of SCI Alan would be willing to at least listen.

Leave a comment:

• Porsche Racer
    replied
    Hi, if you (or anybody) don't like the Panjo conditions, then obviously you'll have to find another venue to buy and sell slot cars 'n stuff; there are many choices such as eBay etc.

The 'old way' of buying and selling on SCI won't be returning, that's all there is to it; forgive me if this seems blunt, but that is how it is and complaining isn't going to change anything.
    Done and done.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by Porsche Racer View Post
    11% fee means I will no longer be using Panjo.

Bring back the old way of buying and selling on SCI

Leave a comment:

• panjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Uglyduck213 View Post
    I posted several adds that appear on Panjo but not on SCI. Panjo help?
    If you've already connected your Panjo account to your SCI account, you'll have the option to select the forum category where you'd like your thread to be generated on SCI.

You can also reference this FAQ article.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X