Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Pyramid. I added a small Chinese digital V display for less than $2.

Comment

Check this out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r_m...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Thanks RichD - seems I know something after all, if I want to buy the one you have! Actually, they look identical except for the manufacturer's name on them and the color of the power button - who actually makes it? Volteq or Mastech? even the model number is the same, lol!

Comment

Volteq is the name that Mastech uses for their switch mode power supplies. It is likely that the same power supply is sold under a number of different brand names. Mastech seems to be a major player, I was not able to find out anything about the company. There is a Mastech Group that makes all sorts of electrical test equipment, but there are no power supplies on their website, however the logo seems to be the same.

Comment

Most all of these power supplies are manufactured by Longwei Electric in China. Longwei is an OEM manufacturer. You will find Longwei's name /trademark on the PCB's in the power supply. That means that when you go to Longwei and request a quotation for a power supply at a certain price, they will build it to that price. It may not be the most reliable or functional power supply as price was the trade off. If you want a certain quality and performance, you will pay for it. Recently I have been recommending Tekpower power supplies. These are also manufactured by Longwei, but are a better quality power supply.

Comment

Thanks jmacartney for your input. Would the TekPower TP3010D be a better unit than the Mastech HY3010D? They're the same price.
              Last edited by dinglebery; 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

In my opinion it would be. For $11 more you can go to 20 amps with the Tekpower TP3020E at $180.

One thing to keep in mind. All of these benchtop power supplies are designed for a constant load, not the dynamic load of a 3 pole permanent magnet motor. If the voltage at the track is varying due to the type of cars you are running (CMPM for instance), you may need to add some capacitors to the power supply output. I use 100,000ufd 50volt capacitors if I need to. For safety, if you go this route, you'll need to add a 500 ohm 10watt resistor across the capacitor to bleed down the cap voltage when the power supply is turned off. Charged capacitors are as dangerous as a car battery if they are shorted.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacartney View Post
                  In my opinion it would be. For $11 more you can go to 20 amps with the Tekpower TP3020E at $180.

One thing to keep in mind. All of these benchtop power supplies are designed for a constant load, not the dynamic load of a 3 pole permanent magnet motor. If the voltage at the track is varying due to the type of cars you are running (CMPM for instance), you may need to add some capacitors to the power supply output. I use 100,000ufd 50volt capacitors if I need to. For safety, if you go this route, you'll need to add a 500 ohm 10watt resistor across the capacitor to bleed down the cap voltage when the power supply is turned off. Charged capacitors are as dangerous as a car battery if they are shorted.
                  Great intel! I did not know this! Thanks again for your input.
                  Now with that said, is there a benchtop unit that I do not have to modify in some way like you describe? I have normal slot.it, fly, scaley, etc and BRM cars...

or will a Switching power supply be better suited?
                  Last edited by dinglebery; 04-01-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I don't think I'll need 20A of juice with only 2 lanes so I ordered the Tekpower TP3010D - it'll arrive Monday! Amazon Prime is sooo worth it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X