This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: replacing brush

I have busted a Pittman brush or two off its arm, and have simply substituted similar sized KTM brushes from old HO locomotive motors. Couldn't find any acid flux in the shop, but could find the brushes. The brass arms are not exactly the right length, so some shimming of the brush holder plate is necessary. KTM motors are low-field-strength DC-70ish copies. This dealer had a box of them, at about $2.00 per motor. He probably still has 'em, as they are not a real popular item:

www.hobbygallery.com/

Comment

Re: replacing brush

Now for the next dumb question: where does one obtain acid flux? Ain't seen it at the Depot (maybe haven't looked hard enough).

Comment

North London Retro

"Hope the new brushes are for preparing your cars for the 1/32 retro meeting at NLondon in May."

Unfortunately, I can't be there. i'll be on a motorcycling holiday in the south of France at the time.:violin

John

Comment

?

Now for the next dumb question: where does one obtain acid flux? Ain't seen it at the Depot (maybe haven't looked hard enough).
          You have to get it from the Ole' USA in the form of "Staybrite" solder and flux. You may check with AB Slotsports as they may have it in the UK. Other types of acids do not work very well for soldering because per nature, they are "greasy".

We sell replacement Pittman DC196 brushes for $3.50 a pair plus shipping... :|

Comment

Larry::banana YOU-DA-MAN! I have been wrestling with the 196B gear issue and have tried EJ's and about driven the poor man to distraction looking for gears that will work. I never would have thought to do so much complex engineering to solve the problem. I am still hopeful of finding some gears that will fit. One solution proposed by EJ's was to open up the rear bracket by grinding away some of the material between the halves. Sounds risky to me. I would also like to retain the 1/8" axle so I can use the vintage wheels and knock offs I have. Would you be interested in doing the same work you did on your 196, on my motor for a price? If so, how much would it cost? I really want to run this car and had NO idea how much trouble sourcing the gears would be. By the way, per the tech sheet that came with one of my motors, the shaft size is .092. Thanks much, Duffy Leahy

Comment

Duffy,
              Right, it's a lot harder than I remembered from the last 196B car I built!

But for the moment, I found you an 8 tooth set screw Tradeship pinion and an unknown 28 or 30 tooth diecast crown gear that would do the trick, if you can't find anything else.

Leave me a message and/or your address here if this would help.
              Don

Comment

I think I dealt with this issue a while back, by using a standard Parma Pink gear and carefully grinding off the non-pinion side with a dremel then finishing it with a small flat file. Am I missing the problem?

Comment

Pattos Place still has some obscure and unusual gears which may fit in the confines of the 196 rear axle bracket:
                  http://members.optushome.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

I've drilled out a 196A bracket to accept 3/32" ID oilite bushings, and found the material quite tough and strong, so thinning the brackets shouldn't be a problem. I also see that I filed one of mine thinner to clear a gear, many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X