This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears for Pittman DC196B

Does anybody know where to find crown and pinion gears that will fit inside the rear axle bracket on a Pittman DC196B? The space is so narrow I can't get any of the gears I have on hand to fit.

Have you looked here?

Comment

Hi Bob; gears to fit the 196B are a bit hard to find in the old .093 diameter need for the arm shaft and a 1/8 inch axle. I either use some of the old Brass bevel gears made by tradeship and a couple other old companies if you can find them. But a 10 tooth pinion is the smallest pinion I have found in them.

What I did is turn/grind the armature shaft tip down to .078 and then used a Slot-It brass 8 or 9 tooth pinion. For the axle I replaced the 1/8 inch axle bearings with 3/32nd axle bearings and used the Slot-it crown gears. Makes a fine running and quiet setup.

Or you can use the nice all brass Sonic crowns with their matching steel pinions with the same axle/armature shaft mods.

Depends on your use of it. I sure like mine set up this way. If Fact I have one each, of all three versions running now.

Comment

196 gears

Bob,
        EJ's had some awhile back. Give him a call he may be able to fix you up. Click on advert link above.
        Jim

Comment

bevels

Hey Bob,

Good to see you back! I know a certain Australian named Bruce also has some 1/8 brass bevels, but am not sure if the pinions are .093. Might be worth checking.

mp

Comment

196b

While we're on the subject of Pittman motors, does anyone know of a source of replacement motor brushes?

TIA

:cheers

John

Comment

Pittman brushes found here.

of course.

Comment

Re: Pittman brushes found here.

I could not find them on the Elec. Dreams site. Plenty of hot Mabuchi armatures, but I saw nothing Sellersville for sale. But if Pea sez it is so, I have no reason to doubt.
                Pittmann parts can be bought from Bowser in Pennsylvania, USA.
                www.bowser-trains.com
                Download their PDF catalog, which lists DC-65A brushes, as well as entire DC-71 type motors, which are high resistance, 5 pole, HO locomotive motors. They also make a smaller DC-60 like motor, but not as suitable for racing as the old Pittmann 196, or 196A.

Comment

Our site has no less than 725 pages, so you may have to search a bit. But they are there somewhere. As soon as I found out, i'll let you know. :rollin

Comment

Thanks Phillipe,

I should have guessed you'd have brushes. I'll e-mail you.

MRRC bevels in the right size are still available in the UK but are expensive.

John

Comment

Pittman brushes

John
                      If its to replace existing worn carbon and the copper brush arm is still in good condition it's possible to replace the carbon with modern 36d size motor brushes. I have done this to several old Pittman 196A/B motors without any problems and the bonus is that the motor performs better than with the original material and also by soldering the brush offset you can get a degree of advance timing on the motor!
                      [oneofwos] :drivin

Comment

Re: Pittman brushes

Thanks John, why didn't I think of that.

John

Comment

Pittman Brushes to race at NLondon 1/32 retro

Hi John
                          Glad to be of help.
                          Hope the new brushes are for preparing your cars for the 1/32 retro meeting at NLondon in May.
                          The rules should be posted on the ABSlotsports and Chris Frost sites by next week.
                          [oneofwos] :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Comment

Re: Pittman Brushes to race at NLondon 1/32 retro

Fooling around with my 196B I managed to knock one of the brushes off the strip! Tried to solder it back on with no luck (regular 60/40 rosin core). Is there a secret to getting it to stay? Would love to try the 36D brush idea.

Comment

Soldering back the brush

The original material has a very high carbon content and is not easy to solder but using an acid flux might do the trick. You would get better results if you replaced the carbon with modern slot brush material such as Proslot Goldust or Mura Bigfoot 36D brushes, you must use a high wattage iron, good flux [acid is preferred] and as high temperature solder you can get away with [cos they might fall off when the motor gets too hot!], don't forget to clean all the flux of before installing them.
                              [oneofwos] :bounce

Comment

Working...
                              X