Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About treating «hard» Rubber Tires

Hello SCI-ers,
    Having a range of 1/24 Carrera Cars, and being an experienced slotracer (from the past), I still have a question about rubber tires.
    In this range I’m having an Exclusiv Audi R10, Porsche RS Spyder, Ferrari 575 GTC, 2005 Corvette C8R and a Digital Aston Martin DBR9, their tires are loosing grip, by becoming harder.
    I normally clean them with lighter fuel (like I did/do with sponge tires) and true them with sandpaper. But still they miss grip.
    Now, before replacing them with some new ones …
    Remembering a youtube film «My Preferred Way Of *Truing'n'Treating* Rubber Slot Car Tires”.
    In this film the maker uses a bottle called «3-in-one oil”, putting some of it on the sandpaper.
    Oil? Can oil soften rubber? Or is it some kind of glue? (alike we use on sponge tires/wooden tracks)
    Can any of you tell me how to give these «older» tires their grip again?
    (I’m racing on Carrera track)
    I’m having the same problem with some tires of 1/32 MRRC formula 1 cars from the 70’s.

Lots Of Slots
    Hufo

Oil is worth a try, it sometimes works with old rubber - rather depends on how far your old tyres have degraded.
    Unfortunately rubber tyres don't last for ever, and if they've degraded too far then replacements are the answer. How long before they are only fit for the trash is very variable, but we are talking years not months.

3 in one is one of the most common brands of general purpose oil in the UK - used for everything from squeaky door hinges to bicycles. Guess there's an equivalent where you live?

Comment

Oil does improve the grip of tires that are made of natural rubber. 3in1 oil is often used and NSR has a tire treatment as well. If it is not formulated correctly natural rubber tires can turn rock hard or just turn to goo. Well formulated natural rubber can last for decades however. It has been my experience that once the rubber has gotten hard any treatment will only be temporary.

Comment

Never use lighter fluid on rubber or polyurethane tires. That will leach out oil from the tires. To clean the tires usually you only need to use warm to hot water. If you feel you need to use a soap use something like Dawn.

Before racing many times i would run the tire under hot water. I did read somewhere that the Europeans that were racing the stock Carrera 1/24 cars were treating their tires with oil. Also they were polishing the tires with up to a 2000 grit wet sand paper and using a thin oil in stead of water. This i have done and it does work well on wood tracks with latex paint (many of the Europeans are running on plastic track).

Tim

Comment

Well, SCI-ers, I must admit: oil works great!
          As in the YouTube film I've been treating the tires with oil and truing them with sandpaper.
          And it works !

Thanks for the assist !

Lots Of Slots
          Hufo

Comment

suuntan lotion

XPF 50 or higher sunscreen works great!

Comment

I am told that Trinity White Dot Tire Tweak can rejuvenate rubber tires. I will have to buy some the next time that I visit my local hobby shop.
              I have used sunscreen on urethane foam tires and that worked fairly well, it had little effect when I tried it on natural rubber tires.
              Last edited by RichD; 09-13-2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Just this past weekend I broke out my new 1/24 Ford GT only to find that the rear tires had zero traction. On a whim I made several applications of NSR's tire oil and that made a huge improvement. Before the next race I'll do it several more times, allowing it to soak in overnight to see if it makes even more of an improvement.

Comment

There might be a difference between treating fairly new tires and rejuvenating ones that have turned hard. The Trinity product that I mentioned earlier is supposed to work with hardened tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                    I am told that Trinity White Dot Tire Tweak can rejuvenate rubber tires. I will have to buy some the next time that I visit my local hobby shop.
                    I have used sunscreen on urethane foam tires and that worked fairly well, it had little effect when I tried it on natural rubber tires.

It seems to be that this Trinity product is used in the RC-world.
                    Therefore, as here in my region there are a few specialiced hobbyshops, I'll go and check, wether they might have it available, or some equivalent.

Thanks for the tip.

Lots of Slots
                    Hufo

Comment

Hufo -

I see this is an older post, but to all with this question...

DON'T be CHEAP..!
                      Buy new (FRESH) tires...period.
                      Geeze...........

Mike

Comment

Sometimes stock replacement tires are not available and when they are they may have been sitting on the shelf for some time and thus already have one foot in the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                          Sometimes stock replacement tires are not available and when they are they may have been sitting on the shelf for some time and thus already have one foot in the grave.

I agree with that ....

Lots of Slots
                          Hufo

Comment

I went to a nearby hobbyshop and bought a bottle of "Corally Tire Traction Compound, Tire Juice 22", as they didn't have the Trinity one.
                            It's usually used in the RC world.
                            Can anybody give me some advise, how to use it the best way, to have the best result?

Lots Of Slots
                            Hufo

Comment

I have never tried that product. I have been meaning to get some of the Trinity stuff, but that has a low priority since I seldom use rubber tires. You could apply the product to the tire tread and wait 15-30 minutes before you wipe off the excess. If the tires have gotten hard you would probably need to wait longer or repeat the procedure several times.

Comment

Working...
                              X