Pinion Gear Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion Gear Problem

I'm having trouble putting my pinion gear onto a new motor I purchased. The pinion will slide a little bit onto the shaft, but it won't go down any further. I've also used this pinion on another car and the motor died on it, so I'm reusing the pinion. I think the pinion is a JK press-on pinion.

Are you using a gear pusher? Do you own a vice?

Might help even to let us know what manufacture the pinion is, and which motor you're trying to install it on.

Comment

Originally posted by SlotOutlaw24 View Post
      I'm having trouble putting my pinion gear onto a new motor I purchased. The pinion will slide a little bit onto the shaft, but it won't go down any further. I've also used this pinion on another car and the motor died on it, so I'm reusing the pinion. I think the pinion is a JK press-on pinion.

Sir, two of the best tools that you will ever purchase in the slot car hobby will be a pinion removing tool and a pinion press. These items will be necessary if you plan on removing and reinstalling any brass press on pinions. They can also assist in the same process with tight fitting plastic pinions. You can go to any of the advertising sponsors here and read about and purchase these tools. Good luck in your hobby.

Comment

I didn't know that a pinion press existed. The gears have always just slipped onto the shaft. I'll definitely invest in one.

Comment

There's a thread about gear pullers here, and I think that most of the ones that work on 1/32 motors and gears will work on 1/24 (anybody help with that?).

One puller not mentioned is the Scaleauto SC-5000B Universal Pinion Press, it's around $40 and their tools are usually pretty decent.

Whatever you buy, you'll probably use if forever so get a good one is my advice.

Comment

Working...
          X