Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nuts and Bolts chassis: Scaleauto vs Plafit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Al
    started a topic Nuts and Bolts chassis: Scaleauto vs Plafit?

Nuts and Bolts chassis: Scaleauto vs Plafit?

Hi guys,
    I've been in this slotcar game for many years, and I'm always fascinated by the flavours of the month as far as brands, makes goes.
    With the demise of the European IMCA site, and JPVR's sandpit, there is no longer an "active" forum relating to nuts and bolts type racing as far as I can see. You really need to dig around and only once you know who's who in the zoo, do you then find a myriad of alternate chassis kits and brands, all of which are loosely developed and modified from the original basic nuts and bolts chassis\manufacturers.

So, ignoring the commercial brands and aspects of the plastic chassis brigade, the current "easily available brands' are Scaleauto and Plafit. I'm interested to see the pros and cons of these two based on pure performance, ease of use, and price. To compare apple with apples, the Scaleauto comparison must essentially be the basic flat pan chassis with NO suspension or motorbox, eg: the SC8003C setup, and the Plafit being the standard 1700 SR2 Kit.

For simplicity sake, let's keep both setups to the same Scaleauto motor and gear ratios, and sponge wheels all round. Which do you think, would be better and why?

or this.

regards

Al

• Lancelotalove
    replied
    Yes the Group 5 proxy car to beat is using a playfit 3300. That proxy it 1/32 scale.
    I think this topic is on the 1/24 scale

Leave a comment:

• Brumos RSR
    replied
    Plait is proving its self in the Group 5 proxy minus my car

Leave a comment:

• Mike-
    replied
    Kevan -

Yea, you keep up on that premise..!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike- View Post
    Kevan wrote -
    I prefer the look of the scaleauto chassis, it looks more like a racing chassis.

Interesting. So...you're more into looks than performance ?

Mike
    There's an old saying 'If it looks right...it is right "

Leave a comment:

• Ratracer
    replied
    Plafit is the go we race both no question the Plafit has more chassis options and are much faster given the same gearing, wheel tyre setups.

Leave a comment:

• Mike-
    replied
    Kevan wrote -
    I prefer the look of the scaleauto chassis, it looks more like a racing chassis.

Interesting. So...you're more into looks than performance ?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Brumos RSR
    replied
    I now own too many 1/32 plafitt chassis that are based on the 1700. The Super 24 (pictured) will give you a better comparison than the 1700 chassis as it is more adjustable than the standard model. The other springs can be removed from the rattle plate along with the ride height springs will make it an apples to apples comparison. The rattle pan springs would need to be replaced with spacers to function properly. The Plafitt handles very well out of the box and is just as quick or quicker than some of the top plastic chassis cars I own. I'm watching this thread also as it's peaked my interest

P.S Kevan, all the carbon bits are also available for the Plafitt as well
    Last edited by Brumos RSR; 09-12-2018, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mike-
    replied
    Al -

No, you said "sponge wheels"..!
    Not sponge tires.

Foam "wheels" would be a bit of a pain to mount tires to and drive on !

Yea, all over the net, the Scale Auto chassis are more money than the Plafit.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Big Al
    replied
    Yes, sorry Mike, Foamies, spongies, you know what I mean. ;-)
    Its a fundamental question aimed at the geometry of the two chassis? and the price difference.. In our neck of the woods, SC is PLENTY more expensive, and I don't really see why?

But, quiet responses tho..

Leave a comment:

• Mike-
    replied
    Al wrote -
    For simplicity sake, let's keep both setups to the same Scaleauto motor and gear ratios, and sponge wheels all round.

I think you meant sponge "tires"...right ?

I have a coupla Plafit chassis, one in 24th and one in 32nd. Handle well on my wood track. Both have been changed to foam rear tires with stock fronts. Though the 24th car will get a different front wheel and tire one of these days.
    Also, both of mine are of the "flex" chassis design.

Curious to see how the test goes.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• s.o.f.
    replied
    Good topic! I am keen to hear the responses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X