Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/24 Mini Challenge proxy_front wheel drive - any interest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/24 Mini Challenge proxy_front wheel drive - any interest?

Throwing out this feeler for participation in a 1/24 Mini Challenge Proxy that's intended to be a builder's challenge. The kicker is that cars must be front wheel driven!

I've built a test car and know it'll work and is fun to drive.

Basic guidelines
    - wheels/tires must be front driven
    - body must be from the Tamiya 1/24 Mini kit w/optional wheel flares
    - motor limited to 21K

Tracks
    - Greater Vancouver Slot Car Club (GVSCC) tracks numbering four and possibly five

Date
    - Entry arrival by early February 2019 for track running to begin a week later

Duration
    - six weeks to complete as track venues are within the Greater Vancouver region for timely running, reporting and return of cars

Entry fee
    - $25 USD

Any interest out there?

Dan
    Last edited by VTECFOUR; 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM.

Interesting idea.
    How does it drive ?
    I'd guess with the guide as close to the front axle the better, so there a minimum of tire scrubbing (wasted friction/traction) in the corners.

Mike

Comment

I can attest with my prototype that the front wheel drive is just fine.

Build link - http://homeracingworld.us/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=17643

There's no noticeable tail out handling with the obvious front weight bias. Exit corner speed seems a bit enhanced but I might be imagining this.

Out of curiosity, I added a guide at the back, reverse mounted the body and gave it a run in conventional rear drive.

No comparison with the rear drive being conclusively faster with a fastest lap of 7.356 vs. 7.769 on Luf's Big Targa wood track.

In the front drive configuration, there's very little room for the guide post in relation to the driven axle.

The front guide being not visible from above the body will be specified as in most proxies. The Mini's minimal front overhang complicates this. It's tight but can be done.

Some of the other guidelines I'm thinking include:

Wheels/Tires
      - maximum combined diameter - .787" (20mm)
      - maximum width - .394" (10mm)

I've based the maximum combined diameter by scaling down the 12 rims and tires on my 1:1 Mini that are 19 inches tall. That works out to .792" in 1/24th scale.

Minimum chassis to track clearance
      - .0625" (1/16", 1.587mm)

The GVSCC tracks are all routed wood with flat latex paint and urethane tire-friendly.

Here are some of the venues.

Luf's Targa Burnaby

Mike's YVR airport

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        I'm working on building a couple other chassis (3) right now.
        I just bought a Scalextric Mini that I'll repaint to match my 05, S, JCW..! My first non-American car, newer than 1960..!
        While the Scalextric car runs better than I thought it would (removing the top heavy interior really helps keep it from rolling over), I'm still pretty sure I'll build a wire chassis for that too somewhere down the road...in front wheel drive..!

Mike

Comment

Looks to be little interest in this proposed proxy, so it's going on hold. A number of us at GVSCC will build regardless and have a fun run.

Thanks to those who expressed interest.

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X