Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCI EXCLUSIVE -- PLAFIT NOW AVAILABLE IN AMERICA -- and much, much more !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCI EXCLUSIVE -- PLAFIT NOW AVAILABLE IN AMERICA -- and much, much more !!!

SCI 'EXCLUSIVE' ANNOUNCEMENT

Hello Racers,

Our friend and SCI 'supremo' Alan Smith assures me that the GR1D logo will soon adorn the header strip at the top of the SCI web page. It has been two years in the making and although we are still in the early days, PLAFIT products are now available in America. GR1D is also the exclusive North American distributor for SIGMA, SCALEAUTO, JP, NdW and pretty much all of the top 1/24 model car racing products . . . or what we lovingly refer to on this side of the Atlantic as 'hard body' racing.

As I said, it is still the early days but inventory is arriving weekly and we have a good stock of PLAFIT Excel Pro, S24 SLP and SLP 2 chassis as well as the best RTR sponge wheels in the world from SCALEAUTO. The photo above is the just released PLAFIT SLP2 chassis for your favorite Group C cars. You may be able to shop on line buy you can't race on line, and GR1D is fully committed to supporting the Commercial Raceways with the same pricing as you will find at the GR1D eShop. Now this is something really new for 2009!

Mark Campbell
    www.GridScaleRacing.com

Last edited by marco; 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM.

Plafit must be getting serious about selling to racers in N. America. I noticed Professor Motor now carries a Plafit 1/32 chassis, and all the parts for it.

Comment

Nice looking chassis how much does it weigh?

Comment

We had one 1/32 Plafit chassis car in the RAA, and although it was smooth, tires were foam, which get no grip on most 1/32 tracks. All the cars in GT were weighted to 100 grams minimum, but the Plafit car was 106 grams, suggesting it was overweight to start with. I think the Plafit cars are intended for use on commercial tracks, not home tracks. They do look heavy.

The 1/24 Plafit cars race as a one-design class, so weight isn't an issue. Lighter cars would be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Moby Dick View Post
          Nice looking chassis how much does it weigh?

Most 1/24 scale model car chassis including PLAFIT, SCHOLER, MOMO etc. weigh in the range of 80-90g depending on how they are fitted . . . and most international and national racing specs . . . work to approx. 180-200g for the completed RTR car.

To Robert's comment, the infamous DPM, EPM and now the PANAM PLAFIT CHAMPIONSHIP in North America is a one class event . . . however these chassis are raced in a variety of classes by IMCA and many other national racing groups in LMP, GT, SPORT and NASCAR classes that parallel 1:1 racing . . . the underlying philosophy of model car racing. You might be surprised at the absolutely HUGE following that the NASCAR class has in Europe and other countries.

The 2009 TORONTO WORLDS will see the first every scale running of the ALMS cars from SEBRING 2008. The majority of the LMP bodies . . . that we will be stocking in the 2nd quarter . . . are from NdW . . . laminated in carbon fiber at approx. 35g complete . . . virtually indestructible . . . and as shown above 'sans paint' are absolutely beautiful . . . and they run like the wind.

When you think about, this is where our hobbysport began . . . with scale replicas of the cars of the day as accurate as the manufacturing technology would allow . . . and so we have come full circle with a level of detail and technical sophistication . . . of today. You can't do this in lexan. Stay tuned!

Mark Campbell
          www.GridScaleRacing.com

Last edited by marco; 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

All I can say is; it's about time! Thank you Marco for bringing Plafit to North America.

Originally posted by marco View Post
            It has been two years in the making and although we are still in the early days, PLAFIT products are now available in America.

Comment

Do you carry these 1/32 5 spoke scaleauto rims?

Thanks,

Comment

Marco,

I'm very interested in expanding into 1/24 scale racing. I enjoy the weight and the scale of these cars.
                One thing that concerns me is most 1/32 racers would consider running 1/24 Plafit cars have wood tracks that run without glue. Does any 1/24 manufactures have a quality rubber tire that will hook up on painted wood tracks?
                I know that Mark & Kurt ran at Mid America on foam tires with glue on the track. That's not a option for me or most 1/32 racers on this board.

SS
                Last edited by SouthernSlotter; 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Tire Options

George,

Would the BRM Shore 15, 30, or 22(?) be an option. Obviously they are limited in size choice, but my understanding is that they have run pretty well on painted wood tracks. I believe that a number of the '09 BRM challenges will be run on painted wood. Do the Plafit chassis cars run/handle that much differently. I know that in speaking with Mark, they cannot be run on plastic.

BTW - My Slot.it Boxer2 in my BRM was smoking the other night at 13.4 Volts. Unfortunately, I mean that literally. The car slowed down to a crawl and you could smell it. I assume it was shorting out somehow, but the leads and braids looked okay. Only thing applied was some light oil to the can ends. Fortunately the original BRM motor has really perked up since its gotten broken in. Shimmed it up as you suggested. Gear mesh is very good (1:4.5).

Any thoughts?

Comment

To give some reference on PU tires for 1/24. The old Ortmann tires were between 42 - 44 A. I have been making my own tires and have found that this hardness does seem to work well on Latex and Epoxy wood track. (Testing done on Raceworld/GP track in Toronto)

I have also tried softer tires (of my own mfg) and found they were not as fast and also very unforgiving.

Just my opinion on hardness.

Tim

Comment

It would be an easy matter to get K&D tires on these cars.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSloter View Post
                        Marco,

I'm very interested in expanding into 1/24 scale racing. I enjoy the weight and the scale of these cars.
                        One thing that concerns me is most 1/32 racers would consider running 1/24 Plafit cars have wood tracks that run without glue. Does any 1/24 manufactures have a quality rubber tire that will hook up on painted wood tracks?
                        I know that Mark & Kurt ran at Mid America on foam tires with glue on the track. That's not a option for me or most 1/32 racers on this board.

SS
                        Yo do not need glue to get these tires to stick to the track, we run the same tires at our track and the grip is very good. You have to drive a few laps to get the grip, at our track the grip will come after about 50 laps. It is important that the track is free of dust, and the tires must be clean.
                        Last edited by Lafficus; 01-13-2009, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafficus View Post
                          Yo do not need glue to get these tires to stick to the track, we run the same tires at our track and the grip is very good. You have to drive a few laps to get the grip, at our track the grip will come after about 50 laps. It is important that the track is free of dust, and the tires must be clean.
                          Yes. The 'non glue' track or no 'goop' on the sponge tires is a format that has been slowing in coming to America. In fact, I couldn't quite figure it out myself the first time I raced on such a setup in Belgium a few years back. As mentioned, it does require the track to be 'run in' for a while to get the grip up . . . and apparently a tape pad to clean the tires helps this process along . . . and a good bit of running time. And from my own experience, I am still amazed at the grip that comes up and how realistic if feels. The new Ogilvie MTT that is being built for the 2009 Toronto Worlds will run this 'non glue' format and sponge tires.

However, I am not sure if the non-glue seasoned track can also run Ortmann or PU tires at 1/32 scale back to back. My guess is not . . . and if you need to share the track with both scales you may be better to also run your 1/24 cars with PU tires as they do throughout Germany in the infamous DSC CUP. At 1/24 scale both sponge and PU tire setups have there advantages and driving characteristics . . . and they are both great to race. The chassis setup is different for each but for the most part the same chassis can be used with either tire format . . . at least at the amateur level.

Mark Campbell
                          www.GridScaleRacing.com

Last edited by marco; 01-14-2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marco View Post
                            Yes. The 'non glue' track or no 'goop' on the sponge tires is a format that has been slowing in coming to America. In fact, I couldn't quite figure it out myself the first time I raced on such a setup in Belgium a few years back. As mentioned, it does require the track to be 'run in' for a while to get the grip up . . . and apparently a tape pad to clean the tires helps this process along . . . and a good bit of running time. And from my own experience, I am still amazed at the grip that comes up and how realistic if feels. The new Ogilvie MTT that is being built for the 2009 Toronto Worlds will run this 'non glue' format and sponge tires.

However, I am not sure if the non-glue seasoned track can also run Ortmann or PU tires at 1/32 scale back to back. My guess is not . . . and if you need to share the track with both scales you may be better to also run your 1/24 cars with PU tires as they do throughout Germany in the infamous DSC CUP. At 1/24 scale both sponge and PU tire setups have there advantages and driving characteristics . . . and they are both great to race. The chassis setup is different for each but for the most part the same chassis can be used with either tire format . . . at least at the amateur level.

Mark Campbell
                            www.GridScaleRacing.com
                            Could you give is a brief description of how you set up Plafit car with sponge tires on dry track, vs. the Ortmann/PU solution? Thanks.

Comment

Marco,

Being new to 1/24 racing so excuse me for asking this question, but what are PU tires? If your talking about urethane, they play well with rubber. Silicone will strip the rubber off the track.

It make sense to let the wing cars run on the banked tracks and use glue. Let the flat track
                              Euro scale racers run rubber. A rubbered in track does give a realistic slide through the curves.

SS

Comment

Working...
                              X