Need advice & new/used equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice & new/used equipment

Hello. My name is Whitney. I am just getting into slot car racing and I need advice and I am looking for some parts and some advise as well. The trace I will be going to has 2 tracks. I need 4" and 4.5" chassis and nascar style bodies and Parma motors 498 499 and 501 I think.
    I would like to purchase these items and other items:
    Parma motors #498 & #499 tires (such as Alpha) controller storage box/case
    4" nascar bodies and 4.5" nascar bodies and chasis for both

if anyone can help with advise or if you have any items for sale that I may need, please email me at [email protected].

Although you may not like to hear this, in my experience with helping people, it might be better for you to save and buy at least one of your desired chassis new.

I say this because, I've watched people getting into the hobby and can't afford new, so the big ticket items come from the used bin. In some cases...it works ok. In most cases with a chassis like you need/want, you are buying a chassis that's been used (used up!) hard. The chassis may not have been set up right to begin with and just abused...trying to get it to handle right.
    The owner says, "time to move on" (this could mean many things..!). He/she sells this hammered on chassis....to....you.
    Now...you're just getting into the hobby yourself. You look, looks "ok", ok..here's your money. Now you...can't get it to handle as it was originally supposed to...you wonder why. You go to the guy behind the counter for help............
    I could go on, but I think you get the hint.

The "kit" cars are the better way to go. Ask one of the guys working at your shop to either tell you..or actually set the car up properly for you for the first time out. This way, the chassis hasn't been "tweeked", the axles are verified straight, the rear bushings are new and "properly" soldered in (they do wear out!), the wheels are verified straight. The gears, the guide flag, the motor...everything is in good shape.

I've been in (and out) of the hobby a long time (since the 60's!). I've seen this happen many times.

Do yourself a favor, save a little more, do some more chores around the house, whatever it takes to buy at least your first car, new.
    This way...you'll know how the car is "supposed" to run/handle. Then...you can buy used (after some experience) and be able to "retweek" the used chassis so it runs right again.

Plastic chassised cars are a little different thAn the Parma stamped aluminum/steel chassis's. When the plastic chassis hits hard enough, it breaks, the Parma (and the like) bend. When they bend...they are normally bent back...depending on the hit...not a good idea for the new guy that's just getting his feet wet..

Have fun.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike-; 07-21-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I agree that the cars are better purchased new- but you might be able to get a good deal on a slot box and controller either checking here or on one of the auction sites.

Do yourself a favor and get as good a controller as you can afford- having the right controller can make a huge difference in your ability to drive a car and your enjoyment of your time on the track!
      Last edited by MG Brown; 07-21-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Plenty of Nascar Car Stuff

Originally posted by whitnate View Post

Hello. My name is Whitney. I am just getting into slot car racing and I need advice and I am looking for some parts and some advise as well. The trace I will be going to has 2 tracks. I need 4" and 4.5" chassis and nascar style bodies and Parma motors 498 499 and 501 I think.
        I would like to purchase these items and other items:
        Parma motors #498 & #499 tires (such as Alpha) controller storage box/case
        4" nascar bodies and 4.5" nascar bodies and chasis for both

if anyone can help with advise or if you have any items for sale that I may need, please email me at [email protected]
        Whitney, I have allot of bodies new & used and lots of other Nasca car stuff including motors. Email me at [email protected]

Comment

Mike, take the time to research the classes, motors, chassis and controls. Knowing more in the beginning will help you ask the right questions later. You have to maintain the car after you get it so you need to build as much of it as possible.
          Just going to the track and watching the other racers will teach you quite a bit. Perhaps some old nice guy will take you under his wing and show you the ropes.

Comment

Working...
          X