1/24 cars on 1/32 track?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/24 cars on 1/32 track?

Which 1/24 scale cars will fit on 1/32 track? I would think alot of small cars could be made in 1/24 scale and could be made to be compatable with all tracks. huh?

Depends on which sort of "1/32" track you are talking about.
    The slots are all compatible give or take a bit of guide trimming.
    The lane spacing is the main issue.
    Scalex only has about 3 1/8 inch lane spacing, Ninco is about 3 1/2 and Carrera 3 7/8
    Most routed club tracks over here have 4 inch lane spacing.
    Modern Le Mans cars are about 3 1/4 wide in 1/24 scale, many other types of car are narrower so you can get away with narrower lane centers

Comment

lane spacing is a big issue, power supply is also an issue, many 1/24 scale home track cars require 18 volts

Comment

I guess my point is why aren't alot more small cars being made in 1/24 scale and everyone could use them. with the proper power and everything of course. just a thought.

Comment

i have carrera track with reg. power supply and with the shoulders on turns and on exit of turn works great slot is wide and deep maybe a slight trim on depth of some guide, i nomally run wood track guide on my 132 cars....

Comment

Originally posted by slotcarman View Post
            I guess my point is why aren't alot more small cars being made in 1/24 scale and everyone could use them. with the proper power and everything of course. just a thought.
            Basically a lack of demand as much as anything. If you think about it, a car really needs to be relatively narrow on a 1/32 track to allow room to race. That is why you find so many 1/32 cars not much wider than 2.5 inches. Not many scale 1/24 bodies are that narrow. Subaru 360 or some other micro-car perhaps, but not much else.

Besides, there are plenty of excellent 1/32 cars that fit the track so why go through the effort to develop cars that may well not sell.

Just my take on things. Want to race 1/24 on plastic then Carrera is pretty much your only option. Most 1/24 racers route their own tracks.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by slotcarman View Post

What kind of track DO YOU have????

If you want to run 1/24 sooooo bad ---switch to 1/24...There is no shame in switching!!!

If you ran a 1/24 VW bug it will be bigger than a 1/32 Camaro... as it is scale diff-er from manufactor to manufactor... take a Scalextric 69 Camaro and a Carrera 69 Camaro they are two different size----s
              Then people will be screaming that your car is out of scale... (big woop!)

Comment

Originally posted by svanaken View Post
                Basically a lack of demand as much as anything. If you think about it, a car really needs to be relatively narrow on a 1/32 track to allow room to race. That is why you find so many 1/32 cars not much wider than 2.5 inches. Not many scale 1/24 bodies are that narrow. Subaru 360 or some other micro-car perhaps, but not much else.

Besides, there are plenty of excellent 1/32 cars that fit the track so why go through the effort to develop cars that may well not sell.

Just my take on things. Want to race 1/24 on plastic then Carrera is pretty much your only option. Most 1/24 racers route their own tracks.

Scott
                I agree!!!

I think Revell track is as big as Carrera

Comment

The best I ever saw, was Polistil, that track is very wide, and 124 cars easely run on it.

it is also deep in the slot, so you dont have to cut your guide.

shame you are so far away, I have a BIG bulk of Carrera 124 track in the shed.

Comment

1/24 scale track

I have Carrera 1/32 and run 1/24scale digital on it. It works well as long as you have the borders which I do! They will run on the 14.8volt transformer but go slower than if you use the 18 volt transformer. Good news is that you only need on power base if you want to swap out the transformers. The Carrera cars are fantastic looking. If you're into realistic looks I'd suggest it.
                    ~Ron

Comment

Not sure if this has still been an acitve thread, but I have just started running 1/24 scale commercial cars. I have a carrera1/32; 1/24 carrera track at home and would love to find commercial cars that I could chip for my carrera track. Also are any modifications needed to make the commercial cars run well on the carrera. Also if anyone knows of any carrera models that will run well on commercial tracks. Thanks all. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by zracer003 View Post
                        Not sure if this has still been an acitve thread, but I have just started running 1/24 scale commercial cars. I have a carrera1/32; 1/24 carrera track at home and would love to find commercial cars that I could chip for my carrera track. Also are any modifications needed to make the commercial cars run well on the carrera. Also if anyone knows of any carrera models that will run well on commercial tracks. Thanks all. Bill
                        Hi Bill,
                        I have a carrera track and I run analog and digital.I am planning on chipping some 1/24th H&R brass chassis.I am going to use the 18,000 or 26,000rpm motors instead of the 40,000rpm.My reason for this is because I am not sure how many amps a carrera chip will handle.The BB will take about 6 or 7 amps but I have a 5amp fuse between my power supply[10 amp,0-20v adjustable] and the BB just in case,so that I don't overload it.
                        The Control Unit will take about 8 amps.
                        If you have 3 or more commercial motors on the track at the same time they may draw too many amps on startup.

Have fun,

Randy

Comment

There's plenty of room in most any commercial track type car.
                          Just, I'd guess on how the higher power motors react with the "chip".

Also, I'd think as mentioned above, you'd want to keep (lower) the motor power requirements for the Carrera track. Rather than get higher power transformers, lower the motor requirement.
                          Why...traction...or the lack of it.

Even the Parma, 1/32 "Womp" (or even the "euro" version (two piece chassis) of the Womp) cars setup correctly could be a lot of fun on that track.

Have fun..

Mike

Comment

I think the biggest problem chipping a 1/24 commercial car would the current draw of the motors. I don't know if there are any chips out there capable of handling that much current. A Deathstar 16D will draw MUCH more current than any car from a 1/32 set. And... motors that draw that much current are typically VERY fast. I.e. lots of track (and space) needed. I know that's not what you asked, but it's something to consider.

Comment

I regularly run 1/24 cars on my "1/32" wood track. I borrowed the old Revell 3.5" lane spacing (also used by Carrera) when I built it. I have more and more 1/24 cars, including Carrera and authentic vintage rebuilds. Race cars from the years before c.1967 scale down, in 1/24, to the same approximate width as race cars from 2000-forward in 1/32. That is, ~2.5" width.

Now, a 1/24 Monogram Porsche 904 is 2.5" wide, as is a Revell Porsche RS60.

A 1/24 Cox Ferrari F1 is 2.6" wide over the rear tires.

A 1/24 Carrera Ferrari 330P4 is 3.1" wide at the tail of the body. This car was re-motored so it runs well on 12 volts (Carrera standard for 1/24 is 18v)

These cars could be raced on narrower than 3.5" lane spacing, provided you have sufficient shoulders (borders) for the cars to slide out, through the corners.

Comment

Working...
                              X