Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lego 1/24 Carrera

Hello!

I'm getting ready to build a 1/24 carrera layout soon. the backdrop will be made of legos, I was thinking of trying to make some cars that can be made of legos as I have seen this on youtube but I can't find any instructions or ideas of where to start, how they put the engine with the legos ect. Has anyone tried this before and have any ideas on how to potentially accomplish this?

Mike Welcome to the forum. This will get you started in the right direction.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ighlight=legos

Dave

Comment

Hey Mike,
      This could be accomplished with some basic Technic parts but be careful if you plan to use Lego motors as most (all?) of them are rated for 6 volts DC, if I recall correctly.

Peter

Comment

Scalextric has a couple of cars that are "lego" based to allow for crashing and bashing. You might use the chassis to start your building on.

Mark

Comment

Are the Scalextric compatibe with the Carrera system? I saw those cars but didn't think they would be compatible with the equipment I'm getting.

Comment

If you are planning to run digital then you will need to buy a Carrera D132 chip and add that to the chassis. The D124 board may be too wide to fit - but both boards have the same featureset and voltage support.

Mark

Comment

Do you think 124 is the way to go or should I go smaller to the 132? 124 seems too big, and 132 seems to small, thankfully with carrera it doesn't matter too much other than the cars themselves.

Comment

I run both scales, the D124 cars are mini masterpieces and look wonderful running around the track. The main consideration is that you will need to add the border pieces for D124 as they are quite capable of tail out racing and will ride the barriers that come with the D132 set. Not a great issue but some may call this cheating...

If you run D132 cars there is more space on the track and you can run 6 cars instead of 4. (limitation of the power brick).

I tend to buy the cars that appeal to me and then chip them if they aren't Carrera.

Mark

Comment

So if I buy say a Scalextric car, I can convert it to a Carrera? What's the difficulty level on that if so? Keep in mind I'm an ID professional, so I'm somewhat mechanical.

Comment

Assuming you are running Carrera digital then you will need to add one of their decoder boards to each non-Carrera car you want to run. On the underside of the decoder is a switch and an LED. You need to cut a hole in the chassis for the LED at least because that is how the car communicates where it is for lane changes etc. The switch is usually set and forget, but cutting a hole for it also allows the board to sit lower in the chassis.
                    There are 4 connections on the decoder board, power in from guide, power out to motor, front lights, rear lights. These are all connectors so you can either solder directly to the board or make the appropriate connector available and plug in.

lots of converted cars in this thread...
                    http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=49412

Usually the biggest issue (other than soldering wires and drilling holes) is making enough space to fit the decoder board. Cars with full depth interiors usually need some surgery and very low cars like the NSR P68 are quite challenging!

Mark

Comment

Lego Porsche 991 RSR

This 991 RSR at Rennsport Reunion 2015 was built from Legos

Comment

I built a 1/32 Lego car: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=90886

1/24 car should be easier with the additional space.

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor View Post
                          This 991 RSR at Rennsport Reunion 2015 was built from Legos

Hard to believe that's all from Legos.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X